Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: More Gondolas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: More Gondolas?

In July at the D23 Fan Expo, Walt Disney World executives revealed that the resort would soon link 3 hotels, 2 theme parks and the forthcoming Disney Riviera Resort timeshare property by an airborne gondola system called the Skyliner. Similar to the old Magic Kingdom Skyway system, the transportation will link Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach and Riviera to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, bringing a more "magical" transportation option to routes currently served by buses. But perhaps this won't be the only Skyliner install we see.

Topic: What other areas of Walt Disney World would you like to see serviced by the Skyliner?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

The only Deluxe resort without a special/unique/quick entry to a park is AKL/Kidani. Personally, I'd like to see a short rail similar to the Conservation Station train rather than a Skyliner.

It will be interesting to see how the Skyliner deals with the Central Florida weather. Sitting in a swinging gondola during a severe thunderstorm and high winds would probably make ToT seem like IASW.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the Skyliner being extended throughout Walt Disney World. Coronado Springs is undergoing a major renovation as a 15-story building is being added to the resort. It seems it would be fairly easy to add a Skyliner route from this new building to Hollywood Studios.

I doubt the Skyliner will replace the monorail routes around the Seven Seas Lagoon. However, it would not shock me if Disney replaces the monorail route from the Transportation & Ticket Center to Epcot with a Skyliner route.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Animal Kingdom and Coronado

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    The only Deluxe resort without a special/unique/quick entry to a park is AKL/Kidani. Personally, I'd like to see a short rail similar to the Conservation Station train rather than a Skyliner.

It will be interesting to see how the Skyliner deals with the Central Florida weather. Sitting in a swinging gondola during a severe thunderstorm and high winds would probably make ToT seem like IASW.
    I think the Animal Kingdom Lodge idea is a great one for that resort. Looking at a map, The station could be in the area of the animal barn in the back behind the savannahs, maybe connected with a bridge to both Jambo House and Kidani Village. Then similarly the line could easily be extended from the main entrance of the park out the other side to connect to the new tower at Coronado Springs. I could see that working well to fix one of the perceived weaknesses in the location of those resorts by providing better transportation options from their "seemingly" more remote locations.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what type of transportation, gondola, etc, but something, like Viking said, from AK & Kidani

Post Thanks / Like

I like the AKL idea. My second choice would be taking OKW and SSR over to Epcot. I know they have a boat to Disney Springs, but it's just not the same as going to a park.

7. Likes athenna liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the next area would be a station at DS heading up to the MK area. That would affect more guests than one from a single resort IMO. I too expect that eventually the monorail to EPCOT from the TTC will be replaced with a Skyliner. And someday the MK monorail will be replaced too.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I think the next area would be a station at DS heading up to the MK area. That would affect more guests than one from a single resort IMO. I too expect that eventually the monorail to EPCOT from the TTC will be replaced with a Skyliner. And someday the MK monorail will be replaced too.
    I don't see the monorail going away - to Iconic.

The only involvement I see with the Skyliner at MK is to replace the Ferry's from T&TC. They are costly to run.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others that AKL really needs another transportation system other than buses. I would also like to see the gondola at SSR and OKW. I love staying at all 3 of these resorts but only having bus transportation to the parks isn't fun anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

Will these be the gondolas like the former Skyline ride in the MK that went from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland or are they like the gondolas used in VA's Buschgardens? If they're the larger gondolas than they probably won't be that bad in the rainy season.

I wonder if they're going to be the enclosed gondola's that they use for skiing? If they're the larger ones that seat 8 or more than I could see them expanding the system because than families could still keep their party together.

Janet & Dan