Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Riviera First Impressions

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Riviera First Impressions

Disney Riviera Resort was surprisingly revealed at the recent D23 Expo, though few details have been confirmed. We know it will be located on land which was previously part of Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort and feature a rooftop restaurant in the vein of California Grill. The rooms will have some view of nighttime shows at Epcot and Hollywood Studios with Skyliner transportation to the two parks. But most other details remain a mystery.

Topic: What is your first impression of Disney Riviera Resort? Is it a resort at which you would consider staying or purchasing points?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm initially much more impressed in this hotel than Copper Creek, mostly because of the future access to Epcot via the Skyliner and the offer of additional modes of transport for the "bus challenged" resorts. Although Copper Creek is a nice upgrade, members appear more interested in proximity to parks than just about anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

First impression-I'm interested in learning more as time goes on, but from what I see, no desire to stay there. I'm happy with the choices we have.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I'll be interested enough to stay there, I wish they'd give us more details.
    Last edited by athenna; 07-24-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited about the Riviera because it expands the options we have as DVC members. Its in a good location and having access to the Skyliner transportation system makes it in more appealing.

The one piece of information I'm really looking forward to seeing in the Riviera's point chart. Will it be at the high end of the DVC like Villas of Grand Floridian, or will it be more middle-of-the road like Beach Club and Copper Creek? If the Riviera follows form, Disney won't release the resort's point chart until five months or so before its opening date.

Also, I'm interested in discovering whether the Riviera will have different view categories. Will the top floors facing Epcot be part of a 'Theme Park View' like at Bay Lake Tower?

Frankly, questions about the resort's theming and interior decorating are intriguing but inconsequential to me. Regardless of its theme, I'll probably want to stay at least one time at the new resort.

So, overall, I have to say the Riviera has left me with a very positive feeling.

As an aside, I think Disney's announcement of the Riviera about two-and-a half years before its opening should put to rest one of the Urban Myths about timeshares. Some people always say that a timeshare developer can't announce a project until a certain percentage of the resort is finished. I'm not a lawyer, but I've looked at the Florida statutes regulating timeshares and I have yet to find any rule that prohibits a developer from advertising a future resort. As long as the developer doesn't take money from customers before a timeshare license is issued, the developer can share its future plans with the public.

6. Likes ekosswald1990 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Staying at the Riviera?

I have BLT & OKW as my home resorts. I find the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom to become annoying and BLT actually feels like it's shaking. Since the Riviera would get this from two different directions, I would not like to stay there (just personal preference). Proximity is nice but only if you spend lots of time in Epcot or the Studios. If the Magic Kingdom is your favorite park than this resort is no more convenient that a number of others. Since I have a vehicle, another restaurant to add to my list is always a plus. I have not seen enough about the theming to make a determination as to whether I would stay there or not. Personal preference is OKW-we love the laid back, quiet feeling of the resort, not to mention the huge rooms which have not been duplicated in any of the other DVC's.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait to get more details about the Riviera Resort. It looked very attractive and very different than buildings at Caribbean Beach Resort. I think that will make Riviera stand out even more. I definitely will want to stay there. Whether we buy points will depend on the price and how many points it will cost to stay there. Money is always a factor.

I would think some guests will have to have the southern view of Barefoot Bay and the buildings at CBR. I think it will be a lovely view. However, many people have complained that they don't want a view of a moderate like CBR. IMO if some the southern rooms were standard view rooms I think those rooms would be considered a bargain because you get a chance to see the fireworks at DHS.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

What I find most exciting about this development is that it's being built from the ground up and not trying to fit into an existing structural footprint. This gives Disney the chance to take what they've learned from past experience and also (hopefully) take into consideration DVC member feedback (at the very least from reading forums like this one) to come up with something that's functional, enjoyable, and hopefully enticing to existing and future members. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Disney comes up with.

I, for one, am hoping they continue to give us better bathroom designs (like Kidani) where you have plenty of counter space and the raised shelf above the sink. The small sink areas with nowhere to set or store my stuff (and I really don't bring that much stuff with me on vacation) affect which DVC resorts I like to frequent. Storage options are also important. If I'm going to be visiting 1-2 weeks (my norm), I'd really like to have some better options to store my things in an accessible manner and not have to empty the drawers of extra pillows and blankets (like in the BWV studios) so I can use them to store my clothes.

I agree with Wil that theming and decorating aren't that important to me. Location, accessibility, and room/resort design/layout are more important. I'll definitely try it at least once, and if the plans, point structure, and offers (hopefully) look enticing enough, I may consider adding on when it's released.

Ok, that's my two cents!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unimpressed

Well, if you look at the last 10 years or so:
    - Aulani Launch, awesome....really added great value to DVC, especially for west coasters.
    - Grand Floridian, awesome.... Filled a void in letting DVC members have access to WDW's best resort.
    - Polynesian, good.... Perhaps not as critical as the other launches, but the beachside bungalow's are a nice touch. Not the best value though...
    - Copper Creak, OK.... I guess we did need more cabin type rooms within WDW for DVC.

Now, Riveria? I'm not seeing any critical value here unless it's going to be extremely cheap points wise. Furthermore, while I know DVC is focused on Florida, we need more resorts offsite. Give me more reasons to keep my DVC points for the very, very long term.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely want to stay at least once at the Riviera, especially to use the new gondola system to get to Epcot for the F&W or the F&G festival. I hope this new resort will also offer a QS restaurant besides the full service rooftop one.