Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polynesian Outsells Copper Creek 3-to-1 in June 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polynesian Outsells Copper Creek 3-to-1 in June 2017

For the third month in a row, direct sales for the Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World topped the 200,000 point mark. Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows and Copper Creek Villas & Cabins accounted for 87.2% of the sales, but the Polynesian outsold Copper Creek by better than 3-to-1 in June.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Poly's sales have gone up since Copper Creek entered the market, it makes me think that the ads for Copper Creek attract potential buyers, but the buyers like the studio size at the Poly better. Plus the Poly studios sleep five and Copper Creek studios are smaller. The studios at Copper Creek only sleep four guests and Member services is very strict on limiting reservations to four people at CCV.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

After taking a tour of the Copper Creek Villas I am not surprised that the Poly is outselling them. They have no Disney touches in the room and the whole place has an 80's oak furniture kind of feel to it. I also felt that the living room on the two bedroom felt cramped due to an inefficient layout. I think the exterior changes to Wilderness lodge are outstanding and the cabins are nice, but its the studios and two bedrooms are what sell a resort and these just don't to it for me.

I would like to add that I think the overall move away from Disney theaming in the rooms is going to hurt them. People pay way more for a Disney timeshare in part because of these touches. Poly has them, Copper Creek does not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwelty View Post
    They have no Disney touches in the room .........
    Any speculation on why Disney continues to move in this direction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Since the Poly's sales have gone up since Copper Creek entered the market, it makes me think that the ads for Copper Creek attract potential buyers, but the buyers like the studio size at the Poly better. Plus the Poly studios sleep five and Copper Creek studios are smaller. The studios at Copper Creek only sleep four guests and Member services is very strict on limiting reservations to four people at CCV.
    I have wondered this. The CCV rooms are on the smaller side across the board; while the cabins look stunning, there's just not many who can afford the points to stay in those. The attention is on the studios and 1BR villas, and those just aren't looking that roomy compared to those elsewhere. In fact, if you have to sleep a bunch of people, two adjoining studios at Polynesian will sleep at least as many as most 2BR villas at a lower point cost. You lose the in room laundry and full kitchen, but I just don't know how much a priority those are for most.

Plus, you know, monorail.

Poly is a bit more per night, but not a ton, so folks buying in might just stretch a little more for those extra points.

We've not stayed at either yet (even though we own both), but I can see why many would look at both and pick the Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't like the 1/2 bedroom units, and we really, really wanted to like them. Both the layout and decor are a miss for us. I don't need the 'disney' theming -- we love the look of the BCV renovated rooms. I just didn't like the awkward kitchen, the decor, or feeling so far away from kids that are sleeping in the LR. For the points, I'd rather have two Poly studios.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need a Ph.D. in economics, marketing, or psychology -- or maybe degrees in all three -- if you want to understand the dynamics of the DVC marketplace. Its a fact that the Polynesian Villas & Bungalows are currently outselling the Copper Creek Villas & Cabins by a sizable margin. But explaining why is another matter. Is it because of location? Theming? Accommodation types? Price? Some other factor? Your guess is a good as mine.

I find it funny that when the Polynesian first came online, many existing DVC members were greatly disappointed that the resort offered only studios and very expensive bungalows. And that is why, those same members opined, that the Poly sales were no where near as good as for VGF. Of course, that ignored the fact that Poly sales have actually been better than VGF. During its prime time run from June 2013 to March 2015, VGF averaged 104,595 points in monthly sales. The Poly, on the other hand, has averaged 110,651 points in monthly sales.

I'm of the opinion that somehow, some way, Disney steers buyers to whichever resort Disney wants to sell. Back in May 2011, AKV sold only 19,348 points. Perhaps that low figure is not surprising, given that AKV had been on the market for over four years. But 12 months later, in May 2012, AKV sold 197,097 points. What changed between May 2011 and May 2012 to make AKV jump so dramatically? Why did the public suddenly find AKV so appealing? Or was it something that Disney did to steer buyers toward AKV?

By the way, that 197,097 point figure for AKV is the third highest single monthly sales figure for any DVC resort since I started tracking sales in July 2010. Only VGF in July 2013 (226,439) and BLT in December 2010 (206,483) have recorded higher monthly sales.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    I'm of the opinion that somehow, some way, Disney steers buyers to whichever resort Disney wants to sell. Back in May 2011, AKV sold only 19,348 points. Perhaps that low figure is not surprising, given that AKV had been on the market for over four years. But 12 months later, in May 2012, AKV sold 197,097 points. What changed between May 2011 and May 2012 to make AKV jump so dramatically? Why did the public suddenly find AKV so appealing? Or was it something that Disney did to steer buyers toward AKV?
    I agree with you. However as a corollary to what you wrote, I just wanted to add that it was in May 2012 that Disney ran the "Buy 100 points, get 20 free" promotion... I remember well because that is when we bought our additional 200 points and got 240.

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly has much nicer grounds to stroll around and better landscaping. You have the option of the resort monorail to the MK or a short walk to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot. Staying at Copper Creek you have a boat or bus to the MK, but that is the only park you have close access to. You have a superb view of the MK Fireworks either from a lagoon view room or from the beach at the Polynesian. WL has a view of the fireworks, but just barely, you can see some of the high ones but most are blocked by trees.

The only advantage I see to buying at Copper Creek is the bungalows there are nicer than the cabins at the Poly IMHO. I love the hot tub and the super large outdoor porch, as well as the layout of the cabin and the fireplace in the living room. However since most members can't afford the points to stay in a cabin on a regular basis, I can't see too many people buying into Copper Creek to get first crack at staying in a Cabin. Also, IMHO, chances are the Cabins at Copper Creek will be easy to get at the 7 month window if you own at the Poly because they are so point heavy.

In all honesty, although I happen to like the rustic feel to Copper Creek I see very little reason to buy in there vs the Poly. The points charts are very close, so to me it REALLY makes more sense to buy in at the Poly. After all, staying on Cash at WL is noticeably cheaper than staying on Cash at the Poly. So I think you get more bang for you buck at the Poly. It's too bad there are no 1 bedrooms at the Poly, that's about the only plus I see to that resort over Copper Creek for most members.
    Last edited by idratherbeinwdw; 07-21-2017 at 06:31 AM.
    Mar' (Mar' does NOT rhyme with Car, it's short for Marilyn)
    First trip 1973, BWV Owner 8/04, Homeowner in Davenport, FL 7/13

I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, Not Me!

Post Thanks / Like

We havent felt that disney has done a clear job of relaying why Copper Creek is any different than just getting a resold contract from Boulder. There is also still confusion going around as why these are even different contracts. Disney may have been better keeping the old name but just having these new contracts expire at a later date.