Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Disney's Riviera Resort?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is Disney's Riviera Resort?

On Saturday, Disney's Riviera Resort was officially introduced as the fifteenth Disney Vacation Club property--the eleventh on Walt Disney World property. Scenic views of Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios were promised, along with an entirely new mode of transportation. But what--and where--exactly is Disney's Riviera Resort?

Illustration of Disney's Riviera Resort (courtesy Google Maps)

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really great rundown Tim. Thank you.
    I think you're spot on with your predictions.
    I'm very excited for the Riviera.
    Already planning/hoping for a stay there in 2020.
    Last edited by worldfanatic; 07-16-2017 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Date fixed
    *JEFF*

RECENT/FUTURE DISNEY VACATIONS

AULANI - June 1-5, 2017 *celebrating 50th*
    (+4 nights on Big Island)
    WDW - Sept 14-24, 2017 (Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)
    DLR - Superbowl Weekend, 2018 (Grand Calfornian)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worldfanatic View Post
    (small typo: CBR opened in 1988)
    Fixed. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to see more details on the size of the building for the Riviera Resort. The announcement said 300 units spread across a variety of accommodation types. With DVC declarations a unit can represent more than one 2BR villa. But lets just say it is 300 2BR villas and GVs, BLT is similar in size with 298 villas, but it has 15 stories. Riviera is supposed only have 8 floors of rooms and probably a 9th floor for a roof top restaurant. Hopefully because of the shape of the building each floor will have more villas than BLT's "C' shaped building.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort in March of this year before any of the construction/demolition had begun. I annotated a photo we took of one of CBR's signpost maps to show where the new Riviera Resort will be located in relation to the rest of the Caribbean Beach Resort.

CBR Map.jpg

I'm curious whether Disney will give separate, dedicated entrance roads onto Lake Buena Vista Drive to the the Riviera and CBR. Currently, CBR guests enter the resort from LBV Drive just north of the Barbados section. I can imagine Disney modifying that entrance so it services the Riviera exclusively. Disney could then create a new entrance for CBR on the road near the Jamaica section (near where the word Jamaica appears on the map above. By having separate entrance points, it would further the impression that the Riviera and CBR are two separate and distinct resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

So since it is next to CBR does this mean it will still be considered "deluxe" or is it gonna be like a "moderate" DVC resort? I've always wished they'd make a monorail entrance in the back of EPCOT and that way BC and BW and Swan and Dolphin would have better access to it but the chairlift thing is a good idea as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I am interested to see more details on the size of the building for the Riviera Resort. The announcement said 300 units spread across a variety of accommodation types. With DVC declarations a unit can represent more than one 2BR villa. But lets just say it is 300 2BR villas and GVs, BLT is similar in size with 298 villas, but it has 15 stories. Riviera is supposed only have 8 floors of rooms and probably a 9th floor for a roof top restaurant. Hopefully because of the shape of the building each floor will have more villas than BLT's "C' shaped building.
    You ever heard DVC cast member's talk about the fact that they've sort of heard rumors of a second tower at BLT? That's where we're members at and I think that would be awesome but wouldn't you say it's just a pipe dream?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesWooHoo View Post
    So since it is next to CBR does this mean it will still be considered "deluxe" or is it gonna be like a "moderate" DVC resort? I've always wished they'd make a monorail entrance in the back of EPCOT and that way BC and BW and Swan and Dolphin would have better access to it but the chairlift thing is a good idea as well.
    The Riviera Resort will definitely be a deluxe resort. I'm positive it will be pretty much self-contained, meaning that the Riviera will have its own check-in and front desk that is separate from that of the Caribbean Beach Resort, as well as its own pool and eating areas.

I'm equally positive that in terms of in-room amenities, the Riviera will offer the same items as all other DVC resorts. If you look at the drawing of the building that was released by Disney at the D23 confab, you'll see that the rooms all have balconies. None of Disney's moderate resorts offer balconies.

Post Thanks / Like

...it could be the sole transportation option for Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
    I think that there is another reason (besides weather) that the Skyliner might not work as the sole transportation option to those two parks. There are many people that have a significant fear of heights, and they might not be comfortable with that mode of transportation. Even my wife, who loves Expedition Everest and tolerates the Tower of Terror, expressed doubt at the idea of riding it. Maybe the suggestion will be for those guests to use the new "Minnie Vehicles"? Since that is (presumably) a fee-based option, that might not go over well. So, I think they will have to maintain bus services anyway, albeit on a less frequent schedule.

One other point: As a frequent guest at the Beach Club Villas (where we have most of our points), I often use the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. With the Skyliner now depositing guests from several additional resorts at the International Gateway, I can only assume (hope?) that they plan to greatly expand that security/touchpoint area. Given the limited space between the building and the canal, I know that may be a bit challenging...

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dvcsam View Post

One other point: As a frequent guest at the Beach Club Villas (where we have most of our points), I often use the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. With the Skyliner now depositing guests from several additional resorts at the International Gateway, I can only assume (hope?) that they plan to greatly expand that security/touchpoint area. Given the limited space between the building and the canal, I know that may be a bit challenging...

Sam
    Recently, Disney revamped its security procedures for the Magic Kingdom. Guests going to Magic Kingdom now go through security checkpoints before they board the monorails or the large ferry boats. That leaves a much smaller number of guests, such as those arriving by bus or walking from Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary, that go through security checkpoints at the Park.

I suspect Disney will take the same approach with security checkpoints involving the Skyliner traffic and Epcot's International Gateway. Guests taking the Skyliner to Epcot's IG will go through security at the resorts before they board the Skyliner. Once they arrive at the IG, they will get off in an area past the IG's security checkpoint and before the Park turnstiles. The only people going through security at the IG will be those who are walking from the Beach Club/Boardwalk area and those arriving via the Friendship boats.