Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Member Cruise Announced

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2018 Member Cruise Announced

Disney Vacation Club has finally addressed one of the most frequently voiced complaints regarding its exclusive members-only cruises.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me, but aren't these cruises getting really expensive? That amount is almost double what we pay for a balcony large cabin for a 7 night Caribbean cruise for the two of us. Is the added entertainment for celebrity guests, and the cabin gifts really worth that much more? You could do a cruise on another cruise line and still have left over money for a Disney vacation at WDW and since you won't need your points for this member cruise, you could use them to stay at a DVC resort and save even more.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

3. Likes Diana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like a lot of points/money to me for what you get compared to regular cruises. It doesn't seem to stop people from going.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to the point chart for this cruise. https://secure.cdn2.wdpromedia.com/m...-Cht-62317.pdf
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    It looks like a lot of points/money to me for what you get compared to regular cruises. It doesn't seem to stop people from going.
    I agree about the cost. We have a 7-night Norwegian Cruise Line Western Caribbean cruise booked for January 2018. We are in a mini-suite cabin with balcony, which is comparable to a category 5 or 6 on the Disney Dream. The cost is about $1,389 per person and includes a beverage package and an internet package for the cabin.

That is about $700 less per person than doing the Members Cruise, which starts off at $2,079 for an inside cabin. And the NCL cruise is in January, which is usual a better time to cruise the Caribbean than July, which is during hurricane season.

A member cruise has a lot going for it. However, I don't think the premium cost is worth it. . . . unless Denise says she really wants to go on it!

7. Likes Diana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Is it just me, but aren't these cruises getting really expensive? That amount is almost double what we pay for a balcony large cabin for a 7 night Caribbean cruise for the two of us. Is the added entertainment for celebrity guests, and the cabin gifts really worth that much more? You could do a cruise on another cruise line and still have left over money for a Disney vacation at WDW and since you won't need your points for this member cruise, you could use them to stay at a DVC resort and save even more.
    Well, the point cost is pegged to the cash price. Nothing DVC can do about that. There does seem to be a higher per-person price for the member cruise, but I would assume that's to cover the gifts and special events on the cruise. I know I'd never be able to pay for a cruise on points for my family. Even saving three years of points, that will never happen.

That said, I noticed the cash price of Disney cruises going way up a couple years ago. The current speculation is that it's partially due to demand (the ships rarely need to run special sales), and partially to fund the new ships being built. The first huge price jump I saw seemed to be followed by the announcement of the new, larger ships, and it's stayed inflated since. Once they add the additional capacity, the prices should equalize around the increased supply.
    100 Points at VGF, 60 Points at SSR (April)

Post Thanks / Like

I priced the member cruise for the wife and I in the room we usually like (is category 9C), and it is right at $600 more than the Alaska cruise we took on the Wonder this year (was the first one of the season). For a 4 night cruise (instead of 7 night) only calling in the Bahamas (instead of US ports), and that port of call is Castaway Cay (twice). As much as we like Castaway Cay, I'm not sure I want to spend two out of three days there. It's OVER double the price of the 4 night cruise on the Dream we booked while onboard.

I get that there's more events on board, stepped up entertainment, and "giveaways" (if you can call them that with the price), but good enough to equal two normal cruises? Good enough to be more desirable than a full week onboard and a trip up to Alaska? I'd like to try a member cruise someday, but it is not going to happen at those prices.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, a bit steep. Just renting 600 points puts around $8000 in your pocket to pay and have left over.
    My Wife and I and our 3 year old are booked for 7 night Bermuda in 2018 for $5500 and $140 on board.

Post Thanks / Like

DCL pricing is extreme, but more power to Disney for matching price to the demand.
    While I love Disney, and love cruising (I just booked my 11th cruise for next year), I seriously doubt I'll ever go on a Disney cruise. I just not willing to pay that massive premium when Carnival, RCL, NCL & others offer such fantastic vacations at a fraction of the cost.
    My Disney "Magic" will continue to be gained on land.
    But I don't blame those of you love DCL & swear by it, I'm sure it's a fantastic experience.
    *JEFF*

RECENT/FUTURE DISNEY VACATIONS

AULANI - June 1-5, 2017 *celebrating 50th*
    (+4 nights on Big Island)
    WDW - Sept 14-24, 2017 (Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)
    DLR - Superbowl Weekend, 2018 (Grand Calfornian)

Post Thanks / Like

We've done 3 Disney cruises. All of them 3-night voyages to the Bahamas. And all of them when the economy was bad. The first cruise which included a "kids sail free" promo was something like $900 TOTAL for the 4 of us.

On the last cruise we put a deposit to get the shipboard rebooking discounts. But after rolling that for 2 or 3 years we finally concluded that we just couldn't afford it. I didn't want to do another 3 night (or even 4 night) cruise. The longer voyages during school break times (since kids are now too old to be pulling out of school for cheap February and November trips) are just too expensive.

It really amazes me that there's so much demand for Disney cruises at their prices. They're going to be up to 8 ships soon, right?

I guess if you do a cruise instead of a WDW trip with hotel costs, meals and park tickets, maybe it isn't all that much different. Heck for our recent 8-night WDW stay we spent $1600 on MYW passes and then another $500 to upgrade them to APs. Additionally I realized it would have cost over $2200 to buy the dining plan for our family of 4.

If you're prepared to spend upward of $6k on food, lodging and park tickets, you're pretty close to cruise territory.

Nevertheless, spending DVC points and cooking 2/3 of our meals in the room makes for a far more economical getaway than a cruise for our family. And after upgrading our tickets to APs, next year's trip will be even cheaper. Probably not cheap enough to splurge on that $2200 DDP though.
    Last edited by TimK; 07-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.