Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Trash & Towel Service

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Trash & Towel Service

Every few days, Disney Vacation Club resorts provide what is called Trash & Towel Service. While the villa does not receive a full cleaning, towels and some consumables are replaced and the trash is emptied. Disney typically queues rooms for servicing by placing a basket outside with the new towels, toiletries, etc. The presence of this basket sometimes prompts guests to service their own room rather than waiting for a housekeeping Cast Member to arrive.

Topic: On T&T day, do you replace your own items or wait for housekeeping to do it?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Trash & Towel days are very helpful especially if staying in a studio. I like to change out towels every few days and with no washer/dryer in the studio it is good that they do this. In fact I would forego the "full cleaning" day to have T&T more often.

Now I never thought of taking the supplies outside the room and doing this myself! I don't know if that would be something that the staff would like us to do or not. Anyone ever ask the housekeeping staff if the minded a "do it yourself" T&T?

Post Thanks / Like

I know it sounds *itchey but I don't like to 'work' on vacation so laundry is a NO. I am constantly amazed at people who regard having a W&D as a plus/incentive to reserving a 1br. And for our dues cost I figure mousekeeping can take out the trash.

Trash and Towel day is kinda a conundrum for us. If we're staying 4 nights (which is fairly often) we place the DND on the door because changing out the towels for one day is a waste in our opinion. However with a longer stay, in a studio, T&T day is very appreciated because by day 4 the recycle bin is full and the toiletries need refreshing.

Frankly, joining DVC was never about a second 'home' -- it was all about staying in a 'deluxe' location at the price of a moderate hotel and reducing the need of bus use. It never occurred to me until I started reading forums that we were even suppose to empty our own trash or leave tips (I thought leaving room tip was also eliminated when we joined DVC = oops).
    Last edited by bakerworld; 07-10-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: additional thought

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I would just ask the maid for the items and give her a tip and tell her we don't need T&T. I guess you could avoid a tip by just taking from the basket and hope the really are for your room.

BTW, isn't time that DVC quit using the baskets except for OKW where stairs prevent the maids from using carts? Then there wouldn't be as much confusion on whether it is your basket or for the room next door.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I always call Housekeeping just before I go out to the parks and ask them to do the service before whatever time I expect to be back. That way, I don't run into them at all and don't have to worry if they will miss me because I am taking a nap with the DND sign out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJTinNH View Post
    Trash & Towel days are very helpful especially if staying in a studio. I like to change out towels every few days and with no washer/dryer in the studio it is good that they do this. In fact I would forego the "full cleaning" day to have T&T more often.

Now I never thought of taking the supplies outside the room and doing this myself! I don't know if that would be something that the staff would like us to do or not. Anyone ever ask the housekeeping staff if the minded a "do it yourself" T&T?
    That is me too (even though I would not wash WDW towels if I was in a 1BR)! I'm not sure that I have ever noticed any of that outside of our room, so we haven't really even thought of doing it ourselves. We would probably support an extra "do-it-yourself" T&T day.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I would just ask the maid for the items and give her a tip and tell her we don't need T&T. I guess you could avoid a tip by just taking from the basket and hope the really are for your room.

BTW, isn't time that DVC quit using the baskets except for OKW where stairs prevent the maids from using carts? Then there wouldn't be as much confusion on whether it is your basket or for the room next door.
    I've never seen them use baskets at any of the resorts with interior hallways.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baskets in Hallways

We make an annual visit to Villas at Grand Californian and they have lovely baskets sitting outside doors not only for T&T day but also for Check Out days of villas where sheets, etc. are all in baskets. They must deliver them quite early (or maybe quite late) since we have left as early as 6:15 AM and have seen the baskets lined up.

Unfortunately, we have also seen more than a few guests that seem to think whatever is left outside of any room is theirs for the taking. We were there for 8 nights at the end of May and the woman across the hall (in a 1 or 2 BR) felt no embarrassment in simply helping herself. After seeing this twice, I mentioned that the count would be off for housekeeping when they came to service the room and I was told that housekeeping could get more. And, we never did see any of the used towels (or whatever else she was taking for replacements) outside of their villa.

As someone previously mentioned, you will see this (at least in the past) at Old Key West outside of units.

It just does not sit well with me that people help themselves. Call housekeeping and request what you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Take care of our own space

I always take in the basket and swap out what we need, anything extra we leave in the basket for when we check out, we always take care of the trash and recycling as needed. Taught the kids to take care of things when needed and not to wait for someone else to come along to clean up for them and just carry this over to when we travel. Plus, we prefer not having people in and out of our rooms when we're not there, just easier for us to look after ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Default TNT days

We always appreciate when towels are replaced along with toiletries however I don't know what we would do without the washer and dryer. We seem to be doing at least one wash a day especially when the teens are visiting with us. Yes, every so often we do wash the towels if they end up in the wash basket
    we empty out trash daily, can't imagine not doing that. Kids assigned to that chore. We cook most of our meals in the villas so have trash.
    Always leave a tip for the housekeeping staff especially if they have been extra thoughtful during our stay.