Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tables in wonderland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tables in wonderland

Could anyone provide me with some info on tables in wonderland. How are the discounts different than what we get as DVC members or AP holders?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

For several years I have used the Tables in Wonderland card and with a 20% discount on both food and alcohol, it has always paid for itself on family trips. However, now that the AP discount is also 20%, I do not think I'll renew my TiW card when it expires. The only difference between the 2 is that the AP discount doesn't include alcohol.

3. Thanks THirshon thanked for this post
    Likes THirshon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drcoulsey View Post
    For several years I have used the Tables in Wonderland card and with a 20% discount on both food and alcohol, it has always paid for itself on family trips. However, now that the AP discount is also 20%, I do not think I'll renew my TiW card when it expires. The only difference between the 2 is that the AP discount doesn't include alcohol.
    Keep in mind that the 20% restaurant discount currently being offered to Annual Passholders is scheduled to end September 30. Unless it is extended by Disney (anything is possible), the AP discount will revert to 10% at select restaurants.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the 20% discount for AP holders is part of the MK 45th Anniversary celebration and was only expected to last one year from October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017. Annual Pass Perks Expanded For WDW 45th Anniversary
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THirshon View Post
    Could anyone provide me with some info on tables in wonderland. How are the discounts different than what we get as DVC members or AP holders?
    Thanks
    allears.net has a pretty comprehensive comparison of dining discounts: http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    Keep in mind that the 20% restaurant discount currently being offered to Annual Passholders is scheduled to end September 30. Unless it is extended by Disney (anything is possible), the AP discount will revert to 10% at select restaurants.
    Or no discount at all since many of the quick services locations didn't previously offer a AP dining discount.
    Michael

8. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe TIW is the only one that discounts alcoholic beverages, so it's a good discount to have if you do enjoy your drinks!

I have TIW, AP, and DVC, and I always break out all three when I pay and ask which is the best discount for that location. Almost always, I'm told TIW offers the best discount. Of course if you check the Allears list (great resource) and find that you tend to eat at places where TIW is offering the same discount as AP or DVC, then maybe it wouldn't be worth it. We do eat at some of the locations where TIW offers a better discount, so it's worth it for us.

Post Thanks / Like

The DDP is changing next year to include one alcoholic beverage per adult per meal.

Disney Dining Plan
    New for 2018 vacation packages! Guests have several new beverage options available including non-alcoholic specialty beverages and, for Guests 21 and older, beer, wine and cocktails.
    The plans also offer a single alcoholic beverage.

Quick Service

Deluxe Dining

Per AllEars:
    In addition, prices for the 2018 dining plans are as follows:
    -- Quick-Service Dining Plan is $52.49 per night per adult; $21.75 per night per child age 3-9
    -- Basic Dining Plan is $75.49 per night per adult; $25.80 per night per child age 3-9
    -- Deluxe Dining Plan is $116.24 per night per adult; $39.90 per night per child age 3-9
    Keep in mind the 2017 rates are lower, here are rates from AllEars.net. Note, no alcoholic beverages are included in 2017:
    DDP - 2017
    -- $67.33 per night per adult or junior (ages 10-17) (taxes included)
    -- $24.22 per night per child ages 3-9 (taxes included)

QS - 2017
    -- $46.34 per person per night ages 10 and up (taxes included)
    -- $20.18 per person per night age 3 to 9 (taxes included)

Deluxe Dining Plan - 2017
    -- $103.57 per night ages 10 and up (tax included)
    -- $37.62 per night ages 3 to 9 (tax included)

--Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, that just throws more into the mix! Still, the "extra" alcoholic drink is added in at roughly retail price. With TIW, you'd get it at a discounted price. Wow, when did I become such a TIW advocate?!

I've always wanted to try the DDP and do one TS plus one signature TS a day, but I don't drink. I usually don't order the "upgraded" non-alcoholic drinks either, so the price increase effectively prices me out for now. I think I'll stick with TIW since it works well for my family's eating habits (few desserts and appetizers).

Post Thanks / Like

Two other quick notes on TiW: First, when you use it at a table-service restaurant, it will automatically add an 18% tip. Some people don't like that because they feel like it takes the control away from them tip-wise (though I assume if you ask, it could be removed). Others don't care because they figure they'll be tipping at least 18% almost all the time anyway.

More important (IMO): You can use one TiW card for up to 10 people in a party, as long as the cardholder is the one paying. If you're in a big party, that 20% savings can add up fast (especially if you're drinking). I have heard AP or DVC discounts at restaurants are often limited to smaller groups, but I don't know that for sure. It's something worth looking into if you have a larger group.

Of course, TiW is $150 to buy. We used to get it when it was $100, then we didn't when it went to $150.... but we relented and got it this year because we had a couple trips, one with a large group, and it was a no-brainer. Check the list of restaurants that take it first, though---if you're not doing much table service, it may not be worth it.