Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 7 Month Window

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7 Month Window

Hi all, my wife and I are beginning to hunt for at least one resale contract. I am considering something in the 150 - 200 points range on a June year for BWV or BCV, and another 150 to 200 points range June year for SSR.

We are hoping to keep costs down on the initial purchase. We are able to travel around Dec 20 - Jan 8 (give or take a few days on either side), second week of Mar, and Jul 9 - Aug 15 (again give or take a few days on either side) due to the school year calendar here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada where we reside.

My wife and I are both 47, our kids are presently 13 and 10. We are all avid park goers (all of them) and eventually hope to do some of the more interesting events throughout the year at Epcot in particular. I expect we will top up our initial purchase with a small direct add on from DVC to get the membership card for more dining and entertainment options (TIW especially).

Having done a fair bit of research, I'm familiar with the restrictions we face and the issues surrounding the different contract expiry dates at the resorts noted above. To finally get to a question for the folks on the board, how often could we expect to find it difficult to book rooms if we intend to stay at other DVC resorts, PVB, BRV, GFV in particular and are subject to the 7 month window? Given the info above, would any other suggestions come to mind?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrius View Post
    Hi all, my wife and I are beginning to hunt for at least one resale contract. I am considering something in the 150 - 200 points range on a June year for BWV or BCV, and another 150 to 200 points range June year for SSR.

We are hoping to keep costs down on the initial purchase. We are able to travel around Dec 20 - Jan 8 (give or take a few days on either side), second week of Mar, and Jul 9 - Aug 15 (again give or take a few days on either side) due to the school year calendar here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada where we reside.

My wife and I are both 47, our kids are presently 13 and 10. We are all avid park goers (all of them) and eventually hope to do some of the more interesting events throughout the year at Epcot in particular. I expect we will top up our initial purchase with a small direct add on from DVC to get the membership card for more dining and entertainment options (TIW especially).

Having done a fair bit of research, I'm familiar with the restrictions we face and the issues surrounding the different contract expiry dates at the resorts noted above. To finally get to a question for the folks on the board, how often could we expect to find it difficult to book rooms if we intend to stay at other DVC resorts, PVB, BRV, GFV in particular and are subject to the 7 month window? Given the info above, would any other suggestions come to mind?

Thanks in advance.
    UY is really a non-factor. I would not consider that in my purchase decision. Your booking window is 7 or 11 months from the current day not from the day you receive your points.

If a 19 night stay is a deal breaker for Dec 20-Jan 8, then make that your home resort. You

As for availability, it all depends on what type of room you are looking for. Generally once you hit that 7 month window, most studios at BWV, BCV, VGF, and VGC are gone. 100% of the value studios at AKL are gone way before the 7 month window, as well as, just about any room at VGC.

If you are thinking that a 1 bedroom is okay, you could pretty much stay anywhere any time (except VGC). Anywhere, that has 1 bedrooms as an option. If you don't mind paying out a couple extra points a night for a premium view, you could still pretty much find a studio at most properties within the 7 month window (except VGF). Again, this excludes VGC. If you want to stay at VGC, you need to have a VGC contract to have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

7 month windows are hard to judge. Some are guaranteed to rarely, if ever, be available (value or concierge at AKL, anything at VGC, studios at BLT, VGF, others). Some may be generally available (SSR, most rooms at AKL). I have seen increasing comments about it being near impossible to find much availability at the 7 month mark, but that may depend also on when you plan to go. Since you plan to own at BWV or BCV, you shouldn't have any issues getting into those since I can book at 11 months.

If you think you might want to stay at Poly, I might recommend looking into buying some points direct for that resort- they're still selling them so they're very easy to get (60 points would translate to a week in a studio every other year, which might be enough). I also suggest making sure you're happy with whatever resort you do buy- those who buy in at resort A and expect to stay at resorts B, C, D, or elsewhere most of the time are very likely to be disappointed. Personally, I'd prioritize the Poly buy-in over SSR (which seems to have a bunch more contracts available resale) to get in on the DVC perks sooner.

4. Likes TinyTGO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUp View Post
    Personally, I'd prioritize the Poly buy-in over SSR (which seems to have a bunch more contracts available resale) to get in on the DVC perks sooner.
    The reason that you see less contracts for VGF, PVB, and VGC, and a lot more SSR and AKL is because SSR and AKL are the largest resorts on the property.

The smallest resort being VGC at 71 room availability, and largest being SSR at over 800. As you buy a sliver of an actual room when you buy your membership, Disney can only sell a certain amount of memberships per resort... so the bigger the resort the more memberships exist.

This is why there's a waitlist for add-on points. When the waitlist gets large enough, Disney starts ROFR'ing to accommodate.

I would buy resale first, and then waitlist a micro-contract (if you find the perks to be worth it). You'll be able to access points sooner, and you'll get a feel for availability before you commit to a direct purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the purchase decision can be very focused. If you are more likely to vacation during the Spring and summer school breaks just go with the most inexpensive. The 7 month window for the March and summer should be fine, with the GFV being the exception - unless you are into a 2 night stay.

The hard booking will be the December - January. If you are most likely to vacation repeatedly Dec/Jan than buy at the DVC venue that would be hardest to get a reservation. This would usually be the smaller places (GF, BC) or the places that are the least point per night like the AK Values or BW standard views.

If you think you are likely to swing your annual vacations within a 50 week time frame, purchasing a small direct purchase would be worth the ticket savings. Before we bought DVC we would purchase the annual pass for the 35% discount on hotels as well as purchasing park tickets every other year instead of annual length of stays with no discounts. A 33 point contract at Copper Beach would purchase a Christmas stay every 3rd year and give the ability to have the AP discount.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

If you are not a dvc member already the, minimum purchase is 50 points.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    If you are not a dvc member already the, minimum purchase is 50 points.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    A bought resale contract establishes the DVC membership which would allow a 33 point purchase. I notice some are purchasing 25 point contracts for access to the AP discount however 75 points can be limiting altho less expensive .

The perk direct membership has, for us, that has real worth is the AP discount and the AP is only worth it if used for at least 10 days - we usually try for 18.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

To me UY comes into play when you want to combine points at the 7 month mark and if you cancel a reservation after the banking deadline and don't plan to use the points before they expire. If you had a UY that you would normally not travel in the last four months of that UY, you could easily bank current year points into the next UY. But of course the time period you travel today may not be the vacation time you want in 5 or 10 years from now.

As to availability, you might want to read, a thread on the DisBoards by drusba. https://www.disboards.com/threads/ho...#post-56615436

It is getting harder and harder to book at the 7 month mark for the period of October through the first week of January as to a large number of members book reservations for these months.

Keep in mind that a timeshare is set up for 100% occupancy all year long. So when too many members want to book during the same period some members won't get their reservations.

Owners of resorts like BWV are finding that they might get shut out of the standard view rooms at BWV at the 11 month mark during this time period. At AKV it is almost impossible for owners to get a weeks vacation in the Club Level at the 11 month mark and the values are also hard for AKV owners at the 11 month mark for that period. And for the rest of the year those rooms are also booked my owners before the 7 month mark.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge