Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Copper Creek helps boost direct sales in April 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Copper Creek helps boost direct sales in April 2017

In April 2017, 243,754 Disney Vacation Club points were sold for the DVC resorts located at Walt Disney World. This represents the best month for direct sales in almost four years.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes Czguest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though sales have commenced for the newest DVC resort, Disney seems more intent on finishing up sales for the prior DVC resort. Despite Copper Creek now being available, Polynesian sales haven't suffered. The Polynesian's 167,904 points in April 2017 was the third best month in its short history.

The same thing happened back in early 2015 when the Polynesian debuted and Disney was finishing up sales for the Villas at Grand Floridian. Poly sales started in January 2015 but VGF was still able to post its second best month in its history with 139,150 points.

It will be interesting to see how long the Poly remains the focus of Disney's marketing.

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised that PVB is still selling so well, when we have frequently heard that people don't like the Poly because it does not have the regular 1 and 2 Bedroom options like other DVC resorts. Although the bungalows are a 2 bedroom villa and similar in size to other 2BRs, they are much more expensive to book with points. I guess the fact that first of all it is the Poly and second the large studio with the ability to have a connecting studio still has it's attraction for a large number of members.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Wdrl, I was wondering how CCV's first month of recorded sales compare to PVB and VGF, the two DVC resorts that opened prior to CCV?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Wdrl, I was wondering how CCV's first month of recorded sales compare to PVB and VGF, the two DVC resorts that opened prior to CCV?
    The Polynesian Villas & Bungalows sort of stumbled out of the gate when sales started in January 2015. Existing members could buy PVB points beginning January 12, 2015. However, Disney did not get regulatory approval for several weeks or months to sell PVB in some key jurisdictions, including New York and California, which meant that the Disney Guides could not even discuss, much less sell, PVB if potential buyers were not physically in Florida.

Despite the debut of PVB, Disney was intent upon selling the rest of its inventory of Villas at Grand Floridian points, which welcomed its first guest less than 15 months before PVB started sales. VGF outsold PVB every month until May 2015. In January through April 2015, VGF sold 461,867 points, more than twice as many as PVB's total of 194,429 points.

It wasn't until February 2016 when Disney introduced the first set of price discounts for PVB that sale took off. Before February 2016, PVB averaged only 79,429 points in monthly sales; since February 2016, PVB has averaged 131,122 points a month.

VGF's debut was much different. Unlike PVB, VGF debuted in May 2013, a period when there wasn't another DVC resort competing for buyers' attention. Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower had opened in May and August 2009, respectively, and the public was ready for a new property. VGF sales commenced on May 23, 2013 and in June and July 2013 it sold 312,433 points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    Even though sales have commenced for the newest DVC resort, Disney seems more intent on finishing up sales for the prior DVC resort.
    Perhaps a minor quibble but seems like this decision is entirely in the hands of the buyer, not left to what DVC chooses to push. With two resort options available, it comes down to whichever destination the buyer prefers.

The salesperson can point out that the buyer only has a few months left to buy Poly points (direct), while Copper Creek will be available for several years to come. And Poly would seem to be the more marketable property right now since it's actually open for tours, etc. But I don't see why a buyer who prefers the setting/design/villa configuration of Wilderness Lodge would be coerced into buying Poly points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Perhaps a minor quibble but seems like this decision is entirely in the hands of the buyer, not left to what DVC chooses to push. With two resort options available, it comes down to whichever destination the buyer prefers.

The salesperson can point out that the buyer only has a few months left to buy Poly points (direct), while Copper Creek will be available for several years to come. And Poly would seem to be the more marketable property right now since it's actually open for tours, etc. But I don't see why a buyer who prefers the setting/design/villa configuration of Wilderness Lodge would be coerced into buying Poly points.
    I, too, would like to think that the decision is entirely in the hands of the buyer. And I also believe that the Guides don't care which resort is purchased; they get commissions on every point they sell.

But at the same time I think Disney is able to push one resort over another, stressing anything and everything that puts one resort in a favorable light. For example, if a buyer inquires about PVB and CCV, I could see Disney emphasizing that PVB has lower maintenance fees than Copper Creek, but not emphasizing that the nightly point costs are higher at PVB than at CCV.

I also think Disney tries to keep one resort at a time in its marketing spotlight. On another site, a DVC member posted that during his recent WDW stay Disney slipped a special offer under his door. He could receive a lithograph of the Poly, a gift card, and some FastPasses if he took a tour of the Poly. It turns out the offer was suppose to be limited to non-members, but Disney decided to honor the offer even though he was already a member. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney emphasizes the Poly to non-members who accepted the offer and didn't volunteer much information on Copper Creek unless asked to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Those of us on the Internet discussing DVC and Disney are a small percentage. For most people, buying a timeshare happens during a great trip. Most don't do much research.
    Many will trust anything the salesperson says. I suspect Disney has a higher trust factor than most corporations.

When it comes to real estate, buy before it's gone is a very powerful marketing tool. DW and I had two different workers for DVD try to use that line on us back in 2009. They claimed BLT would sell out within a year. Our guide was honest and said that wasn't the case.

In November 2013, DVD sent out a flier saying VGF was "nearly 80 % sold out". The goal was to get people to buy now. Wil's numbers showed VGF's sales pace increased after that flier.
    If DVD uses that same marketing tool for PVB, we should be seeing something in the next 1-2 months.

People could buy CCV or another other resort direct. Similarly, every person could buy resale instead of direct. Direct often wins out because people trust Disney. Someone working for a magical company saying resort XYZ will be sold out before your trip next spring break has more influence than strangers on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

For many years Disney has allowed members to add on points for as little as 25 points. However, several members have posted that the minimum add-on at Copper Creek is 50 points. The sales data seems to indicate that is true.

Of the 477 Copper Creek deeds that have been recorded through May 8th, all have been for 50 points or more except one. A member bought a 25-point Copper Creek deed, but at the same time he bought two other Copper Creek deeds containing 190 points.

In the coming months Disney may relax its minimum purchase requirement for Copper Creek, but for the moment it seems to require that members buy at least 50 points at its newest resort. Disney still sells under-50 point deeds for the other resorts, including the Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.