Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Seasonal Reallocation

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Seasonal Reallocation

The 5 seasons on Disney Vacation Club points charts were designed to help balance demand over the year. Slower periods were priced cheaper to increase demand while peak seasons were priced higher to lessen demand. However, over the 25+ year history of DVC, the balance has gradually been thrown off. Cheap periods like October and early December are now in high demand while slower periods like May and late-August are seemingly overpriced. Adjustments to the seasons would bring the charts more in tune with owner demand, however members would likely lose some of the more economical stays to which they have grown accustomed.

Topic: Should DVC adjust the seasons to better reflect current demand?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Point Re-Allocation

While I realize that many people won't be happy if they were to re-allocate points differently, I think that it is needed. That was how the program was designed so that they could adjust based upon supply and demand. It's frustrating to not even be able to get an SSR reservation in October at the 7 month mark. Increasing the point values may help alleviate this.

It's all a give and take. If they increase a timeframe like Oct-Dec, then they need to decrease somewhere else. Someone will win and someone will lose. The only sure thing is that everyone won't agree with what they decide.

Post Thanks / Like

DVC did a reallocation for Aulani because the summer months, especially June where the point cost was very low were extreme demand. Members were livid that they couldn't get the rooms they wanted at the 7 month mark. And as usual the majority wanted the rooms with lowest points per night. See the DVC News Article here regarding that reallocation. And I am not sure it really help their situation at Aulani as families still want to vacation during school breaks. It might have helped more if they had increased the weekend to much more expensive that the weekdays there as the weekends are often booked in advance in the lower point cost rooms by locals want to do staycations.

As to the problems with the late September into the first week of January, I think Disney has caused this problem intentionally, not for DVC but with hopes that the Disney resorts will be heavily booked during the low season from October through mid December. Disney has added more dates for Food and Wine, increased the number of days for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and added a couple half marathons. So I am not sure reallocating points would eliminate that many folks. It could affect the number of days members could book a room because of a higher point cost. It would definitely affect our trips to WDW.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Generally I don't pay much attention to points totals - if I want to go at a certain time I just book it.

However, 'el cheapo that I am, when my BIL said he'd take a 6N BLT for Spring I just kinda nudged his vacation into May because the points needed for his stay. He would've let me book Sunday to Friday but not his SO - in fact, I am pretty sure he heard about the fact that I saved points by bringing them home on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Either way, using over our years allotment hurt less for us plus he'll give us a ride in September to Manhattan for the cruise. Actually, it's a pretty costly ride to the Port.

Our December UY 2017 will be interesting as we're going to aim for 4 trips - Dan's in withdrawal as we mostly cruised this year giving us two vacations with 6 months between each. I'm going to try to trade the AKL points for 2018 March and possibly August so I'll get a real flavor for the 7 month window. I have BC points reserved for 2018 October and I'd really like to hold only the 40 BL points I have left in UY 2017 to use in UY 2018. OMG

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Disney was fairly quick in deciding that a seasonal adjustment was needed at Aulani. Aulani opened in August 2011 and by December 2014 it reallocated the resort's point chart (effective 2016) moving most of the summer months into the expensive Premier Season. Thus, it took Disney only three years to feel justified in making a major change to Aulani's point chart.

By comparison, the heavy demand for early December has been been an issue for years, since before we became DVC members in 2009. Disney has had 8+ years of booking history to justify moving early December from the cheaper Adventure Season to the more expensive Magic Season. If Disney felt a reallocation of the early December dates was necessary, I think it would have done it by now.

I wonder how many people would actually change their booking habits if early December's point costs were to increase. Currently, a Boulder Ridge studio costs 107 points for December 1-14 and 127 points for June 11 - August 15. If those two seasons were flipped, how many people would change their vacations from December to July to save 20 points? I suppose a few members would switch, but not that many. Some members might have to shave a day off their December trips because of the higher point cost, but they might still prefer December to the middle of the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

We would stay less days in December to avoid ever visiting FL in the summer. As Californians, it was too hot and humid for us in late April! Although the warm tropical evenings were lovely.

Hopefully there are enough people working around school holidays to keep summer as a high allotment time and early December less points. For example, my Iowa family in laws are going to WDW for the first time in June but they have no choice due to kids vacation schedules.
    Beth

Post Thanks / Like

While DVC may be viewed as an alternative income stream for Disney overall, I think that specifically the WDW sites primary role has been and will continue to be a mechanism for load balancing the parks. By continuing to have advantage and magic seasons during times that the parks run for shorter hours and generally have less natural interest i.e. during cold weather, during hurricane season, during school sessions they are able to get higher attendance by the lower point values to members. And while, DVC members overall may not be as inclined to want to go mid summer, because of heat, larger crowds etc. DVD knows that they can cash rent any unused dvc units without resorting to big discounts. So, I think that from that type of model, their allocation tables are spot on. That being said, I do like the first week of Dec, and while that time slot can be competitive, so far I haven't been shutout of it. I say, "leave the allocation tables alone."

8. Likes BethBruin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disBOBney View Post
    While DVC may be viewed as an alternative income stream for Disney overall, I think that specifically the WDW sites primary role has been and will continue to be a mechanism for load balancing the parks. By continuing to have advantage and magic seasons during times that the parks run for shorter hours and generally have less natural interest i.e. during cold weather, during hurricane season, during school sessions they are able to get higher attendance by the lower point values to members. And while, DVC members overall may not be as inclined to want to go mid summer, because of heat, larger crowds etc. DVD knows that they can cash rent any unused dvc units without resorting to big discounts. So, I think that from that type of model, their allocation tables are spot on. That being said, I do like the first week of Dec, and while that time slot can be competitive, so far I haven't been shutout of it. I say, "leave the allocation tables alone."
    I understand your point and its a good one: The DVC seasons help balance demand for Disney's cash operations.

The problem is that Disney Vacation Club Management Company, which sets the point charts and would make any reallocations, is suppose to work independently from the other Disney divisions. Buried in the Public Offering Statements is language that DVCMC has a fiduciary responsibility first and foremost to the DVC members, meaning it should make decisions that work best for the members. If a decision helps the members, it shouldn't matter whether it runs counter to the needs of the rest of The Walt Disney Company.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If the seasonal charts are meant to help even out demand (which they are), then of course they should be modified to the current demand situation.
    It's a bit ridiculous that the early December​ time period doesn't require more points.

Of course I most often go to WDW during slower times in late August or September, so a change wouldn't hurt me (and could help).
    Therefore take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    *JEFF*

UPCOMING DISNEY VACATIONS

AULANI - June 1-5, 2017 *celebrating 50th*
    (+4 nights on Big Island)
    DLR - July 1-4, 2017 (Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel)
    WDW - Sept 14-24, 2017 (Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe make EVERYONE happy! ...or miserable?

Since there are no longer really slow times to be found at WDW other than a day here or there, what about making the chart (and decisions) so much simpler and making it 2 blocks of time. Holiday weeks and non-holiday weeks. They would obviously want holiday weeks being slightly higher then everything else.

No penalty for needing to go when can/need to go. School vacations or whatever the timing needs may be.

And as someone pointed out earlier - if this is supposed to be independent of other Disney actions (and I don't see how it could be or will ever be that way), Is that looking out for our interests? Why would they - when many people are on school vacation weeks in April and you do not need to pull your kids out of school to go - charge the most? What was the purpose of the varying rates in the first place then? It seemed to be to draw more people during the slow times which no longer exist.

Maybe the solution would be a flat rate year round. Room type "X" at resort "Y" is always 120 points/week (or whatever amount). Everything else is adjusted where cash comes into play - meals, special nights for Xmas and Halloween costs, and so forth.

They have all my DVC money already sans annual maint. fees/taxes. Whether I go a day before or after - it is not going to change how much $$ they received from me. Unless ultimately, they hope not all DVC rooms get booked and they can rent them out for the big bucks ? By raising those rates in those times (april, Xmas) - maybe that is what they hope for. A bigger cash influx..and less DVC rooms scoffed up by members?