Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Which to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Which to buy?

For the first time in several years, Disney Vacation Club has three resorts to offer new buyers: Aulani, Polynesian Villas and Copper Creek Villas. Prices are very similar for each with only slight variation in promotional incentives. However, there are notable differences in nightly point costs, annual dues, resort theming, room sizes & views offered and many other aspects.

Topic: If you were buying DVC points new today, which resort would you purchase?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Aulani is an absolute gorgeous resort, and I really enjoy the Island, but for me the trip from Ohio is too much for my back, and therefore I don't see myself taking many additional trips there. And since I only need a studio, or the occasional joined studio, the Poly is where I would (and did) buy additional points, it's not as good as Aulani, but it is a wonderful resort in its own rite.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't see Aulani as being something I'd consider alongside the other two resorts. Nothing against it, I'd love to visit, but you either visit Hawaii often or you don't. If you do, Aulani is a no-brainer. If not, it's off the table. So for us it's essentially irrelevant.

Which leaves Polynesian vs. Copper Creek.

In the interest of full disclosure, we already own points at Poly and we're planning to buy at CCV, but for the moment let's set that aside.

Polynesian has the larger studios, so just on room alone, if you're only planning to stay in a studio, Polynesian wins. If you want the ability to stay in a larger villa, you have to go CCV. We're happy in a studio (although we will do a 1BR from time to time), so on room alone I'd lean Polynesian (there's only two of us, the more people you have the more that equation will change). If you're looking at bungalows vs. cabins, wow. We've seen the bungalows and they're amazing, the cabins look even better. Point costs are so high for both that for us they're both irrelevant.

Polynesian is a monorail resort with views of the Magic Kingdom across the lagoon. Wilderness Lodge, although it's nearby, feels much more secluded. Poly has restaurants and bars where things are popping. Trader Sam's is busy, Kona is just off the lobby, Ohana is constantly filled. At Wilderness Lodge the Territory Lounge is a quieter place to relax and Artist's Point makes for more sedate dining. For us, the relaxation aspect trumps the feeling of being in the middle of the action. So the rest of the resort has us leaning Wilderness Lodge.

Now let's talk money. Point cost per night at Polynesian is (depending on time of year for a studio) runs from 10-33% depending on when one might go (and only Jan, Sep, and the first half of Dec is it 10% more, the rest of the time it's over 20% more... all summer it's 33% more!). So your dollar goes farther at CCV... even though it has higher dues, the points buy you more (and the dues can go up at the other resorts too, so I wouldn't assume CCV will remain that high in relation to all the others). So if you look at it based on finances, it's CCV. However, the room type you might need can shift this- at Poly you can get adjoining studios and eight people can stay is what will feel like one room. To pull that off at CCV you're in a 2BR villa, which is much more than the cost of two Poly studios. So again, keep in mind the room you want.

If I were buying in right now, not owning any other resorts, it would be a hard call. Very much a "you pays your money and you takes your choice" kind of thing. I think I'd lean CCV, but that's mostly because we like the feel of that resort. However, Polynesian is still attractive. If I were buying more points than the minimum I would strongly consider splitting it into one contract at each.

For us, though, we are going to match our 60 points at Poly with 60 at CCV and enjoy both.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which to Buy?

Agree with other posters that Aulani is out. While it's nice to have this as an option, it's too far to do every year (or even every other). We bought DVC to be at Disney.

When comparing Poly to Copper Creek, I'd have to go with Copper Creek due to the different room options. I don't see us renting the Poly Bungalows due to the cost of points. If we were to go direct, we'd go with CCV.

... in reality though, we'd go find a resale contract instead at a different resort.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could say Aulani but coming from the east coast, the travel is too far. I love staying at the Poly when I go solo but I frequently invite my family to join me and Studios won't work. We enjoy staying together in a grand Villa. So Copper Creek wins my vote.

Post Thanks / Like

The Poly has never been an option because we own at BLT. Only one monorail resort is needed IMO, unless we have unlimited funds, which we do not. And we already own at Aulani, but really we can only afford the airfare there every other year and we have enough points for that, or so I keep telling myself that. We fell in love with Wilderness Lodge the moment we walked in there years ago, maybe because it reminds us of Colorado, which we still miss living there to this day. However, we never felt the same about the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, we are not sure why, but being able to stay in the main building at WL at Copper Creek is the incentive we needed to buy points there which we did during our stay at BRV earlier this month. So now we are living out our dream of staying at WL even it though our vacations will be limited to every other year since we only purchased 65 points.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

While Aulani is far & away my favorite DVC Resort, (I'm so stoked to be heading on my 3rd visit there in just over a month!!!), I go to WDW much more often.
    And after an amazing visit last year, the Poly has become my favorite place to stay when in the 'World'.

So the Polynesian Village Resort it is.
    *JEFF*

RECENT/FUTURE DISNEY VACATIONS

AULANI - June 1-5, 2017 *celebrating 50th*
    (+4 nights on Big Island)
    WDW - Sept 14-24, 2017 (Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)
    DLR - Superbowl Weekend, 2018 (Grand Calfornian)

Post Thanks / Like

Poly, no doubt about it. I'm sure Aulani is fabulous, but coming from Boston? The time and the money I'd have to spend wouldnt be reasonable for me without a miracle.

I'M also sure CCV is going to be amazing, and as much as I like the Wilderness Lodge etc, the theme has never been me favorite. But we do have plans to visit there during the honeymoon so that may change.

But I've loved the Poly literally my whole life. I always dreamed of staying there as a kid, but CR was more feasible for my parents then. In 2010, Scott surprised me with a week there. Was supposed to be 5 days at Coronado, but surprised me with 8 days at Poly instead, we got engaged that trip. If I could buy points now, thats where it would be.

Post Thanks / Like

CCV for sure. We love Poly but do not love studios! Very disappointing they are the only option there. Well, unless we only go every other year and stay in a bungalow for a few nights!

Aulani is only a shorter flight from LAX for us but it is still too far for yearly visits. We would rather do the five hour flight to WDW! We bought DVC for Disney Parks. And our DVC salesperson advised us against Aulani because of high dues.
    Beth

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUp View Post
    Honestly, I don't see Aulani as being something I'd consider alongside the other two resorts. Nothing against it, I'd love to visit, but you either visit Hawaii often or you don't. If you do, Aulani is a no-brainer. If not, it's off the table. So for us it's essentially irrelevant.

Which leaves Polynesian vs. Copper Creek.

In the interest of full disclosure, we already own points at Poly and we're planning to buy at CCV, but for the moment let's set that aside.

Polynesian has the larger studios, so just on room alone, if you're only planning to stay in a studio, Polynesian wins. If you want the ability to stay in a larger villa, you have to go CCV. We're happy in a studio (although we will do a 1BR from time to time), so on room alone I'd lean Polynesian (there's only two of us, the more people you have the more that equation will change). If you're looking at bungalows vs. cabins, wow. We've seen the bungalows and they're amazing, the cabins look even better. Point costs are so high for both that for us they're both irrelevant.

Polynesian is a monorail resort with views of the Magic Kingdom across the lagoon. Wilderness Lodge, although it's nearby, feels much more secluded. Poly has restaurants and bars where things are popping. Trader Sam's is busy, Kona is just off the lobby, Ohana is constantly filled. At Wilderness Lodge the Territory Lounge is a quieter place to relax and Artist's Point makes for more sedate dining. For us, the relaxation aspect trumps the feeling of being in the middle of the action. So the rest of the resort has us leaning Wilderness Lodge.

Now let's talk money. Point cost per night at Polynesian is (depending on time of year for a studio) runs from 10-33% depending on when one might go (and only Jan, Sep, and the first half of Dec is it 10% more, the rest of the time it's over 20% more... all summer it's 33% more!). So your dollar goes farther at CCV... even though it has higher dues, the points buy you more (and the dues can go up at the other resorts too, so I wouldn't assume CCV will remain that high in relation to all the others). So if you look at it based on finances, it's CCV. However, the room type you might need can shift this- at Poly you can get adjoining studios and eight people can stay is what will feel like one room. To pull that off at CCV you're in a 2BR villa, which is much more than the cost of two Poly studios. So again, keep in mind the room you want.

If I were buying in right now, not owning any other resorts, it would be a hard call. Very much a "you pays your money and you takes your choice" kind of thing. I think I'd lean CCV, but that's mostly because we like the feel of that resort. However, Polynesian is still attractive. If I were buying more points than the minimum I would strongly consider splitting it into one contract at each.

For us, though, we are going to match our 60 points at Poly with 60 at CCV and enjoy both.
    This was a really concise comparison. Nice job. I have stayed at both. For me, they are both beautiful. Poly, however, has one more thing you didn't mention. When it is raining, you will get soaked traveling to and from your villa. And while it is always nice in Florida, for me I prefer a "lodge" or even BLT (which I haven't done yet). I guess that goes to show how much I dislike getting caught in the rain...I do love the monorail to Epcot and the big boat ferry to MK (from the transportation center). I can't ever see myself walking back to the lobby to take the monorail to MK when there.
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC