Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Check-Out Frustration

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Check-Out Frustration

Disney Vacation Club resorts' high occupancy level and limited housekeeping schedule present some challenges on check-out days. Nearly all rooms must be turned-over by 4pm for newly arriving guests. Many of those rooms have not been serviced for up to 7 days. With only a few hours to clean dozens or hundreds of rooms, housekeeping staff have been known to knock on doors searching for vacated rooms which are ready to be cleaned. Late check-outs are not granted under any circumstances.

Topic: Have you ever found the resort staff to be TOO aggressive in encouraging you to leave on check-out day?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes jbeloro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I thought it was just me!

Now it is every time we go. I''ve had staff knocking as early as 8 am. Sometimes, they make a liot of noise on purpose on the room next door! This is in all the resorts. The worst was Boardwalk. The other problem is the increasingly limited availability we have encountered. However, the quality and friendliness of the staff is not as it used to be. I even had diamond earrings stolen, within 1 hour from when I noticed they said the housekeeping staff was gone for the day and off from work for the next 2 days. They said I would have to wait for them to come back to work. Service has lost it's magic.....

4. Thanks idratherbeinwdw thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been inconvenienced by my room not being ready until after 5pm once at Disney Grand Cali, DVC, not at WDW; yet.

That said, I think they can solve part of the problem, by changing the housekeeping schedule during the week for DVC owners to be a full cleaning mid week on Wed or Thurs.

We usually check out early because we go to the park our last day and put our bags at the bellhop until we have to get on the Magical Express.

Post Thanks / Like

I always have a housekeeper knock on the door between 8AM and 9AM on check out days. It actually has become a joke in our family. They ask for check out time when you check in online. It would be nice if they didn't knock until after that time. At the same time it would also be nice if people would call to the front desk to say they are vacating the room early so that housekeeping could get in there early.

Also if people would leave the unit in good condition then it wouldn't require as much cleaning as a unit that is left a mess and therefore housekeeping could move more quickly and get the rooms turned around.

7. Likes idratherbeinwdw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had it happen to us a couple of times, once time at two different resorts. We started placing the Do Not Disturb Sign on the door the night before checkout. And so far no knocks, but then we are usually gone by 9:00 AM on checkout day as we know that arriving guests will want their room as soon as possible.

We do call and notify housekeeping that we are vacating the room. I don't know if it works because the housekeepers seem to have a scheduled routine doing all the rooms in a section of a hallway at a time.

What I would like to see happen is that we no longer get the knocks on the doors for a trash and towel cleaning on unscheduled days. It happened again this last trip at BRV. The housekeeper even showed me her hand written list with our room number on it for T&T. I refused the service explaining that the next day we were scheduled for a full cleaning. Then I called housekeeping to confirm that we should have a full cleaning the next day, which we did get. I mentioned to housekeeping operator that it had happened before and I was beginning to think that the housekeepers accidentally write down the wrong room number. She replied, yes that does happen. That means someone didn't get their T&T cleaning as scheduled. Perhaps they need a better method of assigning rooms.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sssteph View Post
    ... I think they can solve part of the problem, by changing the housekeeping schedule during the week for DVC owners to be a full cleaning mid week on Wed or Thurs.
    How could that happen, based upon the 4 and 8 day cleaning rotation? You might have someone getting a full cleaning on day 1 or 11? That aside, why differentiate between members and guests?
    Steven (& Donna)
    DVC since 1994, Old Key West & Animal Kingdom Lodge
    DCL since 1999, Platinum Castaway Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jelwallace View Post
    I always have a housekeeper knock on the door between 8AM and 9AM on check out days. ... They ask for check out time when you check in online. It would be nice if they didn't knock until after that time. At the same time it would also be nice if people would call to the front desk to say they are vacating the room early so that housekeeping could get in there early.

Also if people would leave the unit in good condition then it wouldn't require as much cleaning as a unit that is left a mess and therefore housekeeping could move more quickly and get the rooms turned around.
    Many people vacate their rooms earlier than anticipated. The use of a "please clean room" placard would give notice to housekeeping.

I can't remember the last time anyone knocked on our door.
    Steven (& Donna)
    DVC since 1994, Old Key West & Animal Kingdom Lodge
    DCL since 1999, Platinum Castaway Club

Post Thanks / Like

I leave the do-not-disturb sign up during the entirety of our stays (except on days trash & towel service is scheduled) and I've never been bothered.
    And we pretty much always check-out very close to 11AM.
    *JEFF*

UPCOMING DISNEY VACATIONS

DLR - 90 miles away, every few months
    AULANI - June 2017 (8 nts w/ Big Island)
    WDW - Sept 2017 (10 nts - Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Housekeeping in general seems to knock early in the morning. I get it, they want to get their work done. Most of the time it's not that big a deal, we just tell them to come back later.

But that's mostly for trash/towel service. We're not often there long enough to get a full cleaning. For checkout, we're usually getting stuff ready to go anyway when they knock (assuming we're still there at all). To catch our flights out we're usually on our way by 9. If we're driving we're generally on the road by then anyway. It just hasn't really been an issue for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A big ooops...

We usually wait until the last minute to check out since our flights out are generally late in the evening. We have, more recently, gotten an early morning (around 8 a.m.) knock at the door. However, early one morning last January on the day we were to check-out, we went to breakfast after checking our luggage. We planned to go back to our villa at SSR, hit the restroom and get the rest of our belongings and head to a park. We got back to our room to find housekeeping in there, with our refillable mugs and a small backpack all packed up in her personal bag. The woman was in total surprise when we walked back into the room. She was very apologetic as she emptied our items from her bag and left. I can understand that because it was check-out day that we may have already checked-out, but it was still before 11 a.m. We decided from then on to also use the DND sign on check-out day. We do try to leave the room as neat as possible, leaving a tip on the kitchen counter, thanking housekeeping for the hard work they do. One frustration we have is our flights arrive pretty early in the day (my husband likes to get there as early as possible, and leave to come home as late as possible), so those times where we're waiting until 5 or 6 p.m. to get into our room does not make us happy campers :-\ Maybe hire more housekeeping staff? Now there's a thought...