Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Staying at new resort

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Staying at new resort

While we all hope that a new Disney resort would reach peak operating efficiency from Day One, that isn't necessarily realistic. Even new resorts have unexpected problems with guest rooms, staff that could use a little more training and other issues which may negatively impact the guest experience. These realities force us to question if it's safe to stay in a Disney resort shortly after opening (or reopening from refurb), or if it's better to wait a few months while they iron out the problems.

Topic: Are you reluctant to stay in a Disney resort shortly after opening?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at BLT, Kidani, and PVB during the first year they opened. While there were a few hiccups in each one's first year, we wouldn't hesitate to book CCV during it's first year.

We view it as no different than a new attraction opening at Disney. They always experience a few glitches once it opens.

We're thrilled to experience those new attractions and new resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GF

We stayed in the Grand Floridian right when it opened (BLT members since 2011). We were the very first people to stay in our room. Other than the fact that they were still painting the lobby when we were checking in, our stay went off without a hitch. I think its a good way to stay at hard to get resorts at the 7 month booking window.

Post Thanks / Like

So I too would think it would be fine to stay at a resort the first year. If the room turned out that it was not useable for your stay, DVC would move you, just like they would at any other resort although you could end up at a different resort, even a Disney hotel versus a DVC villa.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Done it before

We have stayed at both Kidani and the Poly during their first 6 months and had few problems. Actually Poly was great. Kidani had a couple of staff issues, but I continued to see people comment on those for a year or two after, so it might have been a training issue.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at the Poly during the first month it opened and had no problems. But as Denise said, if there were problems, I knew Disney would find me a new place. So I would not be reluctant to book at CCV at 7-months and in fact, I plan on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Staying at a New Resort

I can laugh about this now but back when Bay Lake opened, it was very upsetting. We were there August after opening. My family had gone to bed and I decided to do the usual midnight laundry. At about 1:08 in the morning, I was finishing up in the laundry room when the fire alarm started to go off. It was saying something to the effect "emergency, you must evacuate the building, do not use the elevator." I couldn't reach my family by phone so I ran all the way up the stairs (the alarm was not even sounding on our floor). I woke them up and we got out of the building. Apparently, the buildings were being fogged for these bugs (they were everywhere) and the fog set off the fire alarm. There was noone to ask in the lobby because you had to go to the main building at the time to check in so noone knew what was going on. It was chaotic! When I say bugs were everywhere, I mean the walls, the floors; you couldn't even open your mouth because you would be spitting them out! When I got home, I called DVC and they were actually very helpful. They verified my story and gave us our points back .
    Would I stay at a new place again? Probably. I love knowing that things are new and I'm one of the first people to use the bed or shower.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in the Treehouse Villas the second week they were open. Probably second family to occupy the villa. We did have one fairly significant issue: The TV in master bedroom did not work at all. We reported it around 9-10am before heading to the parks and the tech didn't finish working on it until around 4pm after we returned.

I don't know if the first occupants of the room never tried the TV or just didn't report it. (Not reporting things is one of my pet peeves since major technical/mechanical issues like that never resolve themselves. I don't understand why people just live with problems--often venting about it on the Internet later--instead of reporting. The next guest to stay in that room is going to encounter the exact same issue. But I digress...)

They fixed the problem and we were happy.

I don't have major concerns about staying in a new villa but you do have to go into it with eyes wide open. Assuming that the resort is brand new so room will be 100% functional probably isn't realistic. There are usually some bugs to iron out.

9. Likes denlo liked this post