Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disney to pay $3.8 million in back wages to Cast Members

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney to pay $3.8 million in back wages to Cast Members

The Walt Disney Company has agreed to pay $3.8 million in wages to over 16,000 employees of Disney Vacation Club Management Corp and Walt Disney Parks & Resorts.

Disney's Old Key West Resort

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm going to wonder here whether members will be asked to pay for this out of their dues or whether Disney will step up and take the cost themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    OK, I'm going to wonder here whether members will be asked to pay for this out of their dues or whether Disney will step up and take the cost themselves.
    Our dues are maintenance fees for the resorts. Wages come out of operating budgets. It'll come out of their profit margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You would think there would be more penalties that would give those employees, the interest on the wages they were not paid over 20 years ago.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Probably not. When dues set each year, Disney guarantees that they will cover any overages in the resort operating costs. Since this will be paid in 2017, Disney can't charge owners anything else this year, nor can they back-charge owners in 2018 or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by graydogg51 View Post
    Our dues are maintenance fees for the resorts. Wages come out of operating budgets. It'll come out of their profit margin.
    OKW Cast Members were singled out as being impacted, so some resort staff is clearly involved.

If DVC administrative staff or sales staff are involved, I agree most of those would fall under DVC's own operating budget rather than member dues.

Maybe Marilyn has some insight to share regarding exactly what happened here. I think it may have something to do with costuming guidelines for resort staff--perhaps being required to change on-site and not being properly compensated for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    You would think there would be more penalties that would give those employees, the interest on the wages they were not paid over 20 years ago.
    It doesn't go back any further than 2013--four years. And I can pretty much guarantee that there's some interest penalty or other make-good compensation included in what the employees will receive.