Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Points theory

Post Thanks / Like

Default Points theory

Is there any real limit on how many points they can sell? It seems like every month there is a "new" block of points for sale at certain resorts. Can they really "sell out" of hypothetical points? I have been an owner since 2003, never had much of a problem booking any time I wanted to go, until the last couple years, anything I try to book other than home resort at the 7 month window is impossible, it hardly seems worth it anymore owning at the biggest resort SSR, because I can't stay anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Points theory

Quote Originally Posted by disneybaker View Post
    Is there any real limit on how many points they can sell? It seems like every month there is a "new" block of points for sale at certain resorts. Can they really "sell out" of hypothetical points? I have been an owner since 2003, never had much of a problem booking any time I wanted to go, until the last couple years, anything I try to book other than home resort at the 7 month window is impossible, it hardly seems worth it anymore owning at the biggest resort SSR, because I can't stay anywhere else

Yes. Each resort has a fixed number of points. They cannot add additional points to that DVC later because like splitting stock it would devalue current owners points and therefore devalue their contract/ownership which they cannot do. That's the reason Copper Creek is set up as an independent DVC from Boulder Ridge even though they are at the same resort. In the case of the Polynesian, they increased capacity with the bungalows, but the fixed amount of points for that resort did not change.

We've booked Beach Club at the 7 month mark, Boardwalk during food and wine at the 7 month mark, and Polynesian at the 7 month mark. Our home resort is Boulder Ridge and we've booked more than one trip on short notice there. The only one that required adjusting the reservation was Boardwalk for food & wine because it had 3 of the 5 days we wanted, so we we had to waitlist the other 2, and they came through within a few weeks of the original booking. We also only stay in Studios because our two contracts only equal 220 points a year right now, and those are very limited compared to most of the other categories (with exception of grand villas and cabins/bungalows).

Last edited by graydogg51; 03-15-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely is a limited number of points, but DVC ROFRs contracts and people default on their Disney loans or contracts all the time so DVC has more points coming back to a resort to be sold again usually at a higher price.

DVC resorts are supposed to work so that each resort is 100% booked 51 of 52 weeks each year. Right now more resorts are sold out than those that are still selling new points. Also the resale market is very active, so points that would have sat unused are being sold and used by the new owners. Plus members are more savvy and they rent out points versus allowing them to expire. A healthy economy is a big factor too as many can afford to take a WDW vacation which is still expensive even using your DVC points.

Many members that owned at SSR, HHI and VB bought at a cheaper resort that they had no intention of staying at and often booked at a WDW resort. Those extra points affect the availability at the remaining DVC resorts too. It all adds up.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget. You also add Aulani into the mix. It isn't sold out and my guess is that lots of members there use their points at WDW as well at seven months out. Just like VB and HHI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
    Don't forget. You also add Aulani into the mix. It isn't sold out and my guess is that lots of members there use their points at WDW as well at seven months out. Just like VB and HHI.
    We own at Aulani and only use those points at Aulani. But I can see that many would try to get into VGC first and then consider WDW.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reservation Issues

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    There is definitely is a limited number of points, but DVC ROFRs contracts and people default on their Disney loans or contracts all the time so DVC has more points coming back to a resort to be sold again usually at a higher price.

DVC resorts are supposed to work so that each resort is 100% booked 51 of 52 weeks each year. Right now more resorts are sold out than those that are still selling new points. Also the resale market is very active, so points that would have sat unused are being sold and used by the new owners. Plus members are more savvy and they rent out points versus allowing them to expire. A healthy economy is a big factor too as many can afford to take a WDW vacation which is still expensive even using your DVC points.

Many members that owned at SSR, HHI and VB bought at a cheaper resort that they had no intention of staying at and often booked at a WDW resort. Those extra points affect the availability at the remaining DVC resorts too. It all adds up.
    Please don't forget that Disney's Hotel side also rents DVC rooms. This is extra money direct to Disney. So, in my opinion, why wouldn't Disney rent to a "CASH" customer first.

I have been a DVC member since 2006 and used to go twice and sometimes three times a year. The last four years, its been once a year. One of the reasons is I have not been able to get into other DVC properties other than my home resort. Another reason is the crowds have been getting greater, even in the "value season" time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Please don't forget that Disney's Hotel side also rents DVC rooms. This is extra money direct to Disney. So, in my opinion, why wouldn't Disney rent to a "CASH" customer first. ..r.
    Cash rentals come from a different inventory. At a high level those rentals "consume points" unavailable to a DVC member looking to make a reservation. These could be points owned by DVD or available due to an owner trading in points, like for RCI or Disney Cruise. Someone else can probably provide more accurate detail on the source of those, but they certainly can't just take inventory that is available to members for reservations. (Although it is still a source of demand and can impinge upon you getting the room you want when you want.)

8. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
    Please don't forget that Disney's Hotel side also rents DVC rooms. This is extra money direct to Disney. So, in my opinion, why wouldn't Disney rent to a "CASH" customer first.

I have been a DVC member since 2006 and used to go twice and sometimes three times a year. The last four years, its been once a year. One of the reasons is I have not been able to get into other DVC properties other than my home resort. Another reason is the crowds have been getting greater, even in the "value season" time of year.
    Anytime a member uses their DVC points to book a Disney hotel (not a DVC resort) or take a Disney cruise or book Adventures By Disney, DVC has to pay for those vacation. The points the member traded to pay for those trip is converted to DVC resort reservations and given to Disney Reservation Center to sell. The cash that come from the sale of those stays goes to the other Disney organizations that now have the DVC member booked for one of their stays. DVC points are not currency outside of DVC. Any trip that requires cash, requires a reservation to be sold to pay with cash. They can't be reused for a points stay. Just cash.

Plus whatever inventory remains at sixty days out is also turned over to DRC to sell with most of the cash from that sale going to DVC to reduce costs to owners. DVC also owns a very small percentage of points at each resort (maybe 2-3%) that is used to cover villas taken out for maintenance. If they don't need to cover maintenance, that inventory is also given to DRC to sell.

In your case, since 2006, DVC has added Aulani, GCV, GFV, BLT, SSR Tree House Villas, AKV, PVB and now CCV. That's a whole lot of new members, many looking to trade out at seven months out. If you aren't booking your home resort at 7-11 months out during the home resort priority period. you are losing out. So you have a lot more competition at the more popular times. I don't know what you are calling "value" season. But the first two weeks of Dec, which is during Adventure Season (the lowest point time of the year) are the two most popular times for DVC members. You have to book your home resort at 11 months out to make sure you have something for those two weeks. As for January, with the Disney marathon so popular with members that is also another time of the year to book as soon as you can. WDW has also decided to extend the F&W Festival to start in late August, that is going to make Sept harder to book. And it's the reason so many members say to buy where you don't mind staying if you cannot book another resort at seven months out. HHI and VB might be cheaper to buy into initially (and I don't know if you own there), but the dues are the highest (with CCV joining those two resorts for high annual fees). With HHI, VB and Aulani, you can't even book a Disney theme park stay until seven months out which is getting so much harder.

10. Likes denlo liked this post