Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BCV or BLT?

Post Thanks / Like

Default BCV or BLT?

Hi all -

I feel like we are getting close to making the commitment to DVC. The wife, kids, and I are visiting in just over two weeks now!!!! I cannot wait. We are renting points for the first time and staying at BLT. This is exciting because my kids (boys - 3 & 7) just love the monorail. I have a "lake view" but am hoping maybe we get an outside room that could see the monorail. Regardless, we will be there. We did a DVC conversation on a cruise last year but are doing the tour at Polynesian while we are staying and listening to the pitch again. We have been putting off the decision until after this visit so we can experience DVC and determine if it is right. While my kids are small, we do like the moderates (POFQ in particular) and I like having two actual beds in the room rather than our bed and a pull-out. In general, our preference would be for studios but that might have to change as the kids get older.

While BLT is really exciting for us because of MK and the monorail, if we buy resale, my wife and I keep thinking Beach Club Villas would be great for us. We love Epcot (World Showcase!) and since my boys are young, they could grow up with a lot of Stormalong Bay visits. We will be on the meal plan and my wife was already looking at the Epcot lists for Flower and Garden and planning on spending all the snack credits there! However, while BCV is cheaper right now upfront because the contract runs out in 2042, it is actually really expensive on a loaded basis (resale prices are $100-$105 for 24 years, and throw on $6.27 MF currently). the point chart is not bad though (134 for a studio in Magic Season, and I like that there are not different view categories). We also debate whether we would be happier only locking in 24 years of vacations rather than 42. But since BLT has its advantages for us (again, MK and monorail being exciting), it is our second choice. Its prices are slightly higher resale ($115 average listing) but the contract is good through 2060 and currently only has $5.62. So, economically, BLT is a great value (139 for studio standard in Magic... but I figured those might go and therefore looking at the 153 studio lake I bet). I was thinking it might even allow us to buy more points than we were originally planning and could get 1BRs occasionally then. So we are thinking between 150-200 points.

Now, I know without being an owner at BCV, I would not get the Food and Wine festival. However, for the next few years at least, we are an early spring visiting family. So maybe, we could still visit BCV at that point? Or maybe, having gotten extra points at BLT, we would have to 'splurge' for the 1BR but could get into BCV if those are easier. We do believe that we would like to own where we want to stay so I am not necessarily looking for the lowest economics but between the loaded upfront price and the MF differences, I am talking about $2pp difference on a loaded yearly basis, which seems expensive just to guarantee I get the 11-month window at BCV.

Lastly, Poly buying direct, is actually in line with BCV resale on a loaded cost basis, and maybe cheaper, depending on how the long-term MF growth goes. Its point chart is high but would put us on the monorail and walking to the TTC to get to Epcot easily enough. My thought is that Poly might be slightly easier to get in at 7-month, so BLT would still be a better balanced economical ownership potential. But we will think about it seriously as the studio room is so big and we could think about it as averaging the point price of a studio and a 1BR in alternate years from other resorts.

I know I have been peppering the list with different questions over the last couple of weeks. I appreciate everyone's responses!!! Again, finally going to be there in 16 days now and then can this part of the process can be over!

-Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by micelike View Post
    Hi all -

I feel like we are getting close to making the commitment to DVC. The wife, kids, and I are visiting in just over two weeks now!!!! I cannot wait. We are renting points for the first time and staying at BLT. This is exciting because my kids (boys - 3 & 7) just love the monorail. I have a "lake view" but am hoping maybe we get an outside room that could see the monorail. Regardless, we will be there. We did a DVC conversation on a cruise last year but are doing the tour at Polynesian while we are staying and listening to the pitch again. We have been putting off the decision until after this visit so we can experience DVC and determine if it is right. While my kids are small, we do like the moderates (POFQ in particular) and I like having two actual beds in the room rather than our bed and a pull-out. In general, our preference would be for studios but that might have to change as the kids get older.

While BLT is really exciting for us because of MK and the monorail, if we buy resale, my wife and I keep thinking Beach Club Villas would be great for us. We love Epcot (World Showcase!) and since my boys are young, they could grow up with a lot of Stormalong Bay visits. We will be on the meal plan and my wife was already looking at the Epcot lists for Flower and Garden and planning on spending all the snack credits there! However, while BCV is cheaper right now upfront because the contract runs out in 2042, it is actually really expensive on a loaded basis (resale prices are $100-$105 for 24 years, and throw on $6.27 MF currently). the point chart is not bad though (134 for a studio in Magic Season, and I like that there are not different view categories). We also debate whether we would be happier only locking in 24 years of vacations rather than 42. But since BLT has its advantages for us (again, MK and monorail being exciting), it is our second choice. Its prices are slightly higher resale ($115 average listing) but the contract is good through 2060 and currently only has $5.62. So, economically, BLT is a great value (139 for studio standard in Magic... but I figured those might go and therefore looking at the 153 studio lake I bet). I was thinking it might even allow us to buy more points than we were originally planning and could get 1BRs occasionally then. So we are thinking between 150-200 points.

Now, I know without being an owner at BCV, I would not get the Food and Wine festival. However, for the next few years at least, we are an early spring visiting family. So maybe, we could still visit BCV at that point? Or maybe, having gotten extra points at BLT, we would have to 'splurge' for the 1BR but could get into BCV if those are easier. We do believe that we would like to own where we want to stay so I am not necessarily looking for the lowest economics but between the loaded upfront price and the MF differences, I am talking about $2pp difference on a loaded yearly basis, which seems expensive just to guarantee I get the 11-month window at BCV.

Lastly, Poly buying direct, is actually in line with BCV resale on a loaded cost basis, and maybe cheaper, depending on how the long-term MF growth goes. Its point chart is high but would put us on the monorail and walking to the TTC to get to Epcot easily enough. My thought is that Poly might be slightly easier to get in at 7-month, so BLT would still be a better balanced economical ownership potential. But we will think about it seriously as the studio room is so big and we could think about it as averaging the point price of a studio and a 1BR in alternate years from other resorts.

I know I have been peppering the list with different questions over the last couple of weeks. I appreciate everyone's responses!!! Again, finally going to be there in 16 days now and then can this part of the process can be over!

-Kevin
    Beach Club has the Murphy beds, so you can have one kid sleep on the pull out and one on the Murphy bed. That's what we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks micelike thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't expect the Poly to be easy to get into at 7 months once it's sold out. Neither of the other two monorail resorts are the easiest things to get then (depending on time of year, naturally), and the Polynesian has a lot of people who really like it.

As for which one to get, I'd plan around long term possibilities. Not only the end dates of the contracts, but where you might want to be in 20 years. The kids grow up. They have their own kids. Maybe you'll make a bunch of trips just you and your spouse. Where might the two of you like to be? But then, maybe you'll have more trips in the future with your kids and their kids. You can always add more contracts at other resorts if you like (we've started doing that), but I like to tell people to buy where you know you want to stay. Not that you definitely will never want to stay elsewhere, but if you buy at resort A expecting to be at B, C, or D most of the time you'll probably not be as pleased as if you'd bought at the resorts you do enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

With smaller kids and your focus being MK then I would think BL would be the best. In 5 years when the kids are older and able to 'walk' then you could always purchase a BC.

If the CBR comes online with the gondola service it might be a better location than BC for family.

We prefer BC but our park focus is Epcot/WS.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are a young family, you might want to consider BLT with 18 more years on the contract. The pool BCV is great for older children, but very hard for parents to keep track of younger children when one is more adventuresome than the other. Even the slide is outside the pool area. The entire pool area is very large and impossible for one parent to keep an eye on two kids.

I don't think you can possibly decide today how you want to use your DVC in 20 years. You could be like DH and I love the rides at MK in your 60s or prefer the bars and restaurants in the World Showcase or something in between.

It might be a good idea to stay at BLT and BCV before deciding.

Oh, regarding the monorail view, ask the owner to add a request for an even numbered room on the south side. Even with a marina view you can see the monorail on the other side of CR.

We were in a studio, 7940, last year and this was our monorail views, on each side of CR.

But we also could see this on Bay Lake at night.

--Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/17 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary
    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Default BCV or BLT?

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Since you are a young family, you might want to consider BLT with 18 more years on the contract. The pool BCV is great for older children, but very hard for parents to keep track of younger children when one is more adventuresome than the other. Even the slide is outside the pool area. The entire pool area is very large and impossible for one parent to keep an eye on two kids.

I don't think you can possibly decide today how you want to use your DVC in 20 years. You could be like DH and I love the rides at MK in your 60s or prefer the bars and restaurants in the World Showcase or something in between.

Oh, regarding the monorail view, ask the owner to add a request for an even numbered room on the south side. Even with a marina view you can see the monorail on the other side of CR.

We were in a studio, 7940, last year and this was our monorail views, on each side of CR.

I agree about buying for the future. Buy for where you like the most now. In the future, if you prefer somewhere different , or they build a new resort that wasn't even originally an option, you could sell and buy there or just buy a 2nd contract elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by graydogg51; 03-15-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post

That's great! Thank you!!!! Request is going in.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!