Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hotel feel" at DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Hotel feel" at DVC

I decided to start a new thread when it was mentioned. When you first bought DVC (or maybe didn't), was "hotel feel" a consideration? I don't find OKW, the first DVC, very "hotel-y" and I wonder how many DVCers (or not) didn't like the lack of hotel feel. Then I bet they were glad when BWV became an option. Or maybe some DVCers are in the same boat we are, the reason they like DVC is because of the lack of the hotel feel-the feeling that they've got their own little apartment in WDW. That's the way we feel, and the lack of daily housekeeping is all part of the OUR apartment idea for us. How do you feel?

Post Thanks / Like

Since we stay in studios, it would be hard not to have a hotel feel to our room even when we stayed at OKW. I have stayed in a hotel suite before, and those extended stay hotels, so 1BRs don't feel that much different to me than those. So I guess I don't see the difference. We have been traveling more and more the last 20 years, so by time we bought into DVC we had gotten so we refused maid service some days, just because we wanted more privacy and we didn't feel we need clean towels daily. At home we no longer wash our towels daily as that seemed like we were wasting water and I had stopped doing that years ago and wash the towels weekly, unless they need it sooner. So when DVC said we would only get clean towels every 4 days it meant nothing to us.

Maybe if I could stay for months at a time? Like we have that many points. LOL But then there are rules that would make us move room types or resorts after 30 days. To me your feeling of being home, just shows me how comfortable you are at OKW.
    Last edited by denlo; 03-15-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We - or I, knew there would be missed 'hotel feel' items. We didn't quite understand when the requests crossed the line of being charged extra vs included items missing from the room - so we didn't make requests and continued to pack bottle openers and my wine glass. My daughter would routinely - still does - ask for extra blankets, pillows, kitchen items, etc and we've not been charged for these items. We'd stayed in OKW before and it was the 3rd time we decided not to purchase DVC. For us, vacationing is suppose to be a break from the daily hassles of life: cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Specifically for me it was when I could request something and have someone else provide it: food, pillows, bed making, etc.

Now even as hotel guests we're neat - strictly because messy drives me nuts as all I can focus on is the disorder. We routinely re-use towels, pack items we like to make our vacation run smoothly. I'd come to expect coffee packets and beds made and these two items are what I miss the most with DVC - not enough to pay for them . Our first DVC stay when we left for the day, forgetting and walked back into an unmade bed I wondered if we made a bad choice. However, the location of many of the DVC locations changed my mind and I adapted, making sure the bed is made to Disney standards so it looks great when we re-enter.

I will say that the things that convinced us to purchase DVC was the availability of the in-room dining and AK concierge. We've stayed at both Jambo and Kidani, with our preference being Jambo because of the hotel feel. I even prefer the pool view . Frankly, I've never understood the 'Welcome Home' because that feeling is the one I get when I return - quite happily - to my home.
    Last edited by bakerworld; 03-15-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    I'd come to expect coffee packets and beds made and these two items are what I miss the most with DVC - not enough to pay for them . Our first DVC stay when we left for the day, forgetting and walked back into an unmade bed I wondered if we made a bad choice. ... I've never understood the 'Welcome Home' because that feeling is the one I get when I return - quite happily - to my home.
    (coffee & beds) You pay for them one way or another. The choice is yours - you either pay for them in your (higher) association fees, or you opt for additional services during your stay. In the past, you had no choice in the matter.

(welcome home) Much like if you own a vacation property, the original concept was that DVC was your "home away from home." When you stay at your vacation property, it is your home (away from home).
    Steven (& Donna)
    DVC since 1994, Old Key West & Animal Kingdom Lodge
    DCL since 1999, Platinum Castaway Club

5. Thanks missnanse thanked for this post
    Likes missnanse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I decided to start a new thread when it was mentioned. When you first bought DVC (or maybe didn't), was "hotel feel" a consideration? I don't find OKW, the first DVC, very "hotel-y" and I wonder how many DVCers (or not) didn't like the lack of hotel feel. Then I bet they were glad when BWV became an option. Or maybe some DVCers are in the same boat we are, the reason they like DVC is because of the lack of the hotel feel-the feeling that they've got their own little apartment in WDW. That's the way we feel, and the lack of daily housekeeping is all part of the OUR apartment idea for us. How do you feel?
    Our home is AKL-K and we've stayed in both KV and JH, SS, BW, BC and maybe one other. We've found they aren't hotel-y to us and we like that it's that way, as you said our own little apartment in WDW. We stayed the weekend in early Dec. at BC at concierge level and to me it was the most hotel-y experience we've had. Whenever they say welcome home (or another phrase that's similar) I'd found it funny at first but for the most part it's been the truth for us.

7. Thanks missnanse thanked for this post
    Likes missnanse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip to WDW was in 1997 and we stayed at the Polynesian. Now the Polynesian doesn't have a hotel feel to it because of the individual buildings (but it did have interior corridors and elevators). On that trip we bought DVC and OKW because we liked the community feel versus the hotel feel. We could have purchased BWV, but didn't care for the look of it.

And look at the Grand Floridian. It is also a layout of multiple buildings that you have to walk to get to your room. The GFV are not like the rest of the resort in that it is one big building.

Post Thanks / Like

Default We like the hotel feel

It's funny, my wife and I were just talking about how it feels like DVC resorts have evolved over time. Our home resorts are the Grand Californian and Grand Floridian. In January we stayed at Saratoga Springs for part of our vacation and we really weren't enamored with the feel of the non-hotel resort. We were obviously handicapped by not having a car and I could understand what a difference that would have made in enhancing our experience.

We love the Grand Californian best of all in that the DVC units are fully integrated into the hotel. We call for martini glasses and they arrive quickly and without charge. I like the privacy of not having daily maid service, but I'm ready to have clean towels and empty trash cans by the fourth day. It's like having a condo in a luxury hotel. We park our car and don't use it for days. I really feel like we get the best of two worlds -- luxury hotel room with full kitchen. And there's something special about using outdoor barbecues a stone's throw Paradise Pier when theme-park food gets a tad tiresome.
    Howell

10. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Howellsacto View Post
    ... it feels like DVC resorts have evolved over time ... we really weren't enamored with the feel of the non-hotel resort.

luxury hotel room with full kitchen. And there's something special about using outdoor barbecues a stone's throw Paradise Pier when theme-park food gets a tad tiresome.
    The original concept was that you were NOT in a hotel room or a hotel ... you were in your home away from home.
    Interestingly enough, the things you noted that you like are found in ALL DVC resorts.
    Steven (& Donna)
    DVC since 1994, Old Key West & Animal Kingdom Lodge
    DCL since 1999, Platinum Castaway Club

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enjoying the Hotel Feel

Quote Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
    The original concept was that you were NOT in a hotel room or a hotel ... you were in your home away from home.
    Interestingly enough, the things you noted that you like are found in ALL DVC resorts.
    I guess I like the check-in at the Grand Californian being the same as the hotel, I like the integration of the DVC units into the hotel itself, and the pools at the Grand Floridian being part of the overall resort. I like the walking access to first-class restaurants and theme parks. I'm not sure you can find those features at all DVC sites. If the original concept was more like a home-away-from-home, then I say lucky us for finding the later-built DVC resorts that meet our particular interests, and to each his own.
    Howell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
    Yes, original concept was one of the reasons we walked away from DVC over the years. When the DVC incorporated the hotels into their program they finally pulled us into the program.

FL means vacation to us. My husband tried to talk me into purchasing a vacation home in FL and my answer is that I want my vacation to be a vacation so if we purchase a home there it stops being a vacation. When I am on vacation I want a break.
    Last edited by bakerworld; 03-22-2017 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Janet & Dan

14. Thanks Howellsacto thanked for this post