Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to board, not to DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to board, not to DVC

Been lurking a bit, decided to register to participate.

Home resorts are AKL (initial purchase 2008) and Poly (2016), we're likely to add some CCV in the next few months. We've decided that it might be fun to have smaller contracts here and there- with 260 points at AKL, we can go big when we want, and we're basically just now shooting for enough points for a week every couple years (which generally means 60 point contracts) at various resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the DVC News.

I understand exactly how you feel about buying small contracts at this point, as we have been considering a 60 point contract for CCV too. What is holding us back is the price. As long as we get the same UY the points are easily combined for reservations with our other points at 7 months if need be. Who knows someday we might want to have family join us in a cabin at CCV. I doubt we will ever have enough spare points to rent a GV at CCV for our family.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/17 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary
    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Welcome to the DVC News.

I understand exactly how you feel about buying small contracts at this point, as we have been considering a 60 point contract for CCV too. What is holding us back is the price. As long as we get the same UY the points are easily combined for reservations with our other points at 7 months if need be. Who knows someday we might want to have family join us in a cabin at CCV. I doubt we will ever have enough spare points to rent a GV at CCV for our family.
    With our currently held points (260 AKL, 60 Poly, soon to be 60 CCV), we can do big stuff when we want at AKL and get a week every other year or so at Poly and CC. For two people (no kids here), that's enough... if and when other DVC resorts are opened, we'll consider those as well. Yes, it means we're not going to be getting larger rooms for longer time periods at most of the places we own. We're ok with that tradeoff. The other advantage is that if we ever decide to sell off contracts, it's the sub-100 point contracts that seem to sell faster and at higher prices per point. It's entirely possible that in another five years or so we will have the ability to sell our Polynesian contract for more than we paid... not that we're likely to do it, but it was a factor in our buying decision. We may never be able to get a bungalow for more than a night (doing both banking and borrowing), but I'm not really sure what we'd do with one anyway.

Everybody uses their DVC a little differently. For us, this works. We can take our extended family to AKL when we want to do it. They might prefer a monorail resort, but honestly, if they want one that badly they can buy in for themselves. If they want a free room, they get giraffes at AKL and have to like it that way.

4. Likes micelike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

It is nice to hear there are other people without kids who are into Disney. I think (I know) some of our friends think my husband and I are a little crazy taking so many Disney related trips!

It is funny, I grew up with a Disneyland AP and three trips to WDW. I didn't go much at all for twenty years, then we started back up by taking the nieces and nephews. Now that they are older we go A LOT more without them. Adult Disney can be a lot of fun!
    Beth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethBruin View Post
    Welcome!

It is nice to hear there are other people without kids who are into Disney. I think (I know) some of our friends think my husband and I are a little crazy taking so many Disney related trips!

It is funny, I grew up with a Disneyland AP and three trips to WDW. I didn't go much at all for twenty years, then we started back up by taking the nieces and nephews. Now that they are older we go A LOT more without them. Adult Disney can be a lot of fun!
    We get the same reaction from adults we know plus family members. We have only one family member that loves Disney so she sort of understands. My DSIL recently sent me a placard as more of a joke, I think. And this is pretty much the attitude of most of our family members.

--Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/17 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary
    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I love that quote! I agree Disney does make us feel young again!

Fortunately most of my family members like Disney as we grew up in LA. They just think we are over the top. I was lucky to recruite my Iowan husband into the fold well after marriage. He now admits he decided he had no choice but to embrace it. Now he thankfully loves Disney almost as much as me.
    Beth

8. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BethBruin View Post
    Welcome!

We like having friends join us from time to time. We show them how WE do Disney. Yes, the parks and rides are a lot of fun. But so is bumming around the resorts and watching fireworks from Top of the World Lounge. We have a more relaxed way of going about things.

I tell people who wonder why we keep going back that it's that relaxation that brings us back. No, Disney isn't the real world. We deal with that enough. We like going someplace where we don't have to worry about every little detail and we can kick back and take some time just for our enjoyment. Disney is very good at letting us do that.

10. Likes BethBruin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUp View Post
    We like having friends join us from time to time. We show them how WE do Disney. Yes, the parks and rides are a lot of fun. But so is bumming around the resorts and watching fireworks from Top of the World Lounge. We have a more relaxed way of going about things.

I tell people who wonder why we keep going back that it's that relaxation that brings us back. No, Disney isn't the real world. We deal with that enough. We like going someplace where we don't have to worry about every little detail and we can kick back and take some time just for our enjoyment. Disney is very good at letting us do that.
    This is so true. While I have a 10 year old daughter, I foresee her bringing a friend along in a few years. We can also see trips with our friends a few more years down the line. So many people think that doing Disney is synonymous with simply entering the MK park. Staying on property in a deluxe resort is a totally different deal that many people will never "get". I have never slept as well on a vacation as I did 2 years ago when I was at VWL for Spring Break. Pure heaven.
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC

12. Likes BethBruin, PhilUp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also visit WDW sans kids - our kids being adults. We love the bubble. Part of the reason we vacation so much at WDW thru the years - pre and post membership - is because it is sanitized exposure.

I don't want to smell Europe - been there, done that. I don't want to visit Africa, Bali, Hawaii, etc. because I don't need to see the slums and unemployed - I want a vacation not a Greenpeace experience.

I've experienced 'authentic' and now I just want to be comfortable, altho I do still drink bottled water.

Janet & Dan

14. Likes BethBruin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkstocke5609 View Post
    This is so true. While I have a 10 year old daughter, I foresee her bringing a friend along in a few years. We can also see trips with our friends a few more years down the line. So many people think that doing Disney is synonymous with simply entering the MK park. Staying on property in a deluxe resort is a totally different deal that many people will never "get". I have never slept as well on a vacation as I did 2 years ago when I was at VWL for Spring Break. Pure heaven.

Janet & Dan