Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Fixed Week

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the advantage of a fixed week as long as you want to stay in the same resort and the same week each year. It certainly would be stress-free, knowing you don't have to worry about the 11-month or 7-month window. However, as appealing as this sounds, I love to try out different resorts and I rarely go the same week twice.

Post Thanks / Like

When we first bought BLT back in 2009, would have definitely said no. Today, we now realize we don't mind standard view. In hindsight, would like a standard view studio for a week in early December to avoid the headaches of competing with so many people walking reservations. If I remember right, BLT even had a slight increase in points for standard view rooms when they reassigned some theme park rooms to standard view. That provides a good example of what can happen with point reassignments.

For PVB, if they would have made Lake View only 2nd and 3rd floor rooms, there is a reasonable chance we would have bought one for October.

When they introduced fixed weeks at Aulani, I always thought two great resorts for December fixed weeks would be GF and WL because they are extremely popular for Christmas. If someone is planning to go to CCV in December many years, I would definitely recommend they buy the fixed week.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a fan

One of the things that kept us from buying any timeshare contracts prior to DVC was the fixed week. My work schedule was such that I could never have guaranteed the capability to have the same week from year to year. Now we mostly have a few days with our granddaughter and then a week or two ourselves, our needs have changes. Our granddaughter's schedule is so hectic as she gets older that we require that flexibility. Plus with some of the changes that Disney made with new events or with school changes trying to travel during lower crowd times definitely requires flexibility.

So, we are definitely not fans of the fixed week.

AKVHutch

Post Thanks / Like

We too would not have purchased if DVC had only offered guaranteed weeks. I would never have enquired about DVC.

DVC's fixed weeks are different from the traditional timeshare week as you can opt out of the week through the day before your week begins. For a DVC guaranteed week, you still purchase points based on the week you want and the number points is based on the current point chart plus 10% more points. So when you opt out of your guaranteed week for the year, your DVC account now has the number of points that you purchased. You can book at any resort including your home resort for a different dates, and a different villa type if desired. The rules for using points applies for these points and they will expire if they are not used or banked.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We talked about DVC for a while before we really 'discussed' it, one of the reasons we were interested is because it isn't fixed weeks. Now that we've had it for a while, it really wouldn't work for us. Some times we stay 10 days - sometimes less. We like the flexibility of booking Wed - thru Tues or any other kind of non standard Sun-Sat or whatever firm days.