Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aulani @ Thanksgiving questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aulani @ Thanksgiving questions

I'm new to the site, but not to DVC. Bought 130 Poly points Feb 2015. We've only used our points at The Poly. But, we would like to take our kids Thanksgiving week to Aulani. We pretty much have to travel this week bc my kids are involved in sports. This is my son's pick of a senior trip. So, I really want this to be a fun and memorable trip. If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd love to hear it. DS21, DS17, DD14. As for questions for right now.
    1. My oldest son uses a wheelchair. Bc of a chronic illness he can not stand or walk for long distances. Has anyone here traveled to Aulani w a wheelchair who could give me any advice?
    2. Anyone reserved an accessible room? Does anyone know if these are on all floors? We really hoping to be on a high floor bc we are going to try to book an ocean view 1 BR. Are they in all buildings as well? I'm assuming we can make room requests?
    3. Do the regular 1 bedrooms have a bench seat in the shower, like the Poly DVC showers?
    4. Things to do? We wouldn't have to take the wheelchair if it's not a long walk.
    5. We are thinking Sat to Sat. Any advice on flights?
    6. Any advice on getting room at 7 month mark? Or do you think will not be a problem?
    I'm sure I'll have more questions. I'll admit I'm very nervous.
    Thanks in advance,
    Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have asked wdrl to come by and answer some of your other questions as he knows a fair amount about Aulani.

You might check out the Aulani photos on the DVC News home page under resorts. There is a photo of a 1BR shower there. It does have a lip that your son would need to walk over to get in to the shower. http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...93#prettyPhoto
    Last edited by denlo; 03-02-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a list of the Handicap Accessible Villas at Aulani. They are available in all booking categories and are scattered throughout the resort. If you look at this thread (click here) you will see the locations of these villas.

List of Handicapped Accessible Villas

Villa #301 - Ocean View Grand Villa; Accessible Tub
    Villa #456 - Pool View Studio; Roll in Shower
    Villa #512 - Pool View One-Bedroom; Roll in Shower
    Villa #558 - Pool View One-Bedroom; Roll in Shower
    Villa #559 - Standard View One-Bedroom; Roll in Shower
    Villa #757 - Standard View Studio; Accessible Tub
    Villa #772 - Ocean View Studio; Accessible Tub
    Villa #808 - Ocean View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #809 - Ocean View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #859 - Island View One-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #870 - Ocean View One-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #875 - Island View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1057 - Island View Studio; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1072 - Ocean View Studio; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1073 - Island View Studio; Roll in Shower
    Villa #1108 - Ocean View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Roll in Shower
    Villa #1109 - Ocean View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1112 - Ocean View One-Bedroom; Roll in Shower
    Villa #1158 - Ocean View One-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1159 - Island View One-Bedroom; Accessible Tub
    Villa #1175 - Island View Dedicated Two-Bedroom; Accessible Tub

Aulani is wheelchair friendly with ramps and paved walkways all around the resort. It even offers beach wheelchairs so that guests can travel out to the beach and lagoon. Only drawback is there are a limited number of such wheelchairs.

My advice is to call Aulani directly if have any questions about accessibility. If you visit the Aulani website you'll find lots of information plus a telephone number to call the resort.

Right now, availability is wide open for one-bedrooms during Thanksgiving week, 2017. Once that week opens up for the 7-month booking window, I'm optimistic that you will still find something in the Ocean View, Island View, or Pool View categories. The Standard View category may have some days available, but I very seriously doubt you'll be able to get all 7 nights in a Standard View villa.

Aulani is a great resort and I'm sure you will love it.

Good luck!