Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Permit Images Bring Gondola Rumors into Focus

Post Thanks / Like

Default Permit Images Bring Gondola Rumors into Focus

Recent construction permits for Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios carefully avoid using the word "gondola." However, armed with rumors of a radical new transportation system coming to Walt Disney World, it's difficult to draw any other conclusions when reviewing the documents.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes rfc0001 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the latest filing with South Florida Water Maintenance District really does reveal a lot more details even though that filing was really only to show how everything will impact the wetlands and water flow. But it revealed so much more. I can't wait to see the actual construction drawings that are still waiting to be filed with the Orange County Controller.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I'm almost convinced that the DVC building will have its own gondola loading platform. Knowing my fellow DVC members, it wouldn't be long before we'd start hearing complaints if they had to walk all the way down to the Caribbean Beach loading platform to board the gondola.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the plans from several different images in both filings stitched together, making it absolutely clear they are building something. Note the gravel construction drive between CBR and DHS which doesn't go all the way through, so couldn't be for anything other purpose. Also, the construction drive between CBR and AoA would seem to indicate another leg, but also could just be a construction drive for CBR (although it is unlikely they would build a construction drive through an existing retention pond if not for this purpose).

Last edited by rfc0001; 02-16-2017 at 03:11 PM.

6. Thanks DVC OR BUST thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, FFE indeed stands for Finish Floor Elevation, however this refers to elevation (not height) of the finished floor (base) of the structure. E.g. here is the structure in DHS that is FFE of 99, and as you can see all the elevations contours underneath it, ranging from 97- 103 :

Gondola 2.jpg
    Last edited by rfc0001; 02-17-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfc0001 View Post
    BTW, FFE indeed stands for Finish Floor Elevation, however this refers to elevation (not height) of the finished floor (base) of the structure. E.g. here is the structure in DHS that is FFE of 99, and as you can see all the elevations contours underneath it, ranging from 97- 103 :

Gondola 2.jpg
    So sea level for Lake Buena Vista is 95', so does that mean that these towers are at ground level?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    So sea level for Lake Buena Vista is 95', so does that mean that these towers are at ground level?
    According to Bing, Orlando is 106 ft. above sea level, which roughly corresponds to the elevations you see on the site plan underneath the structure above (ranging from 97-103). FFE just corresponds to the ground floor elevation, typically used for code (E.g. minimum distance above flood plane, etc.). They only need to show the surface area of the structure on a water management plan, since that is all that matters for water displacement. No other detail is contained on this plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ... I'll walk ... never cared for the MK Skyway and was happy when it disappeared.

I can handle the People Mover - if that's what it's still called - and the monorail so maybe an enclosed gondola, I'm up for a try - I try most things once, but it has to be more enclosed than DS Balloon. Frankly, as the alligator incident demos, the way vacationing parents what their kids now a days the gondola better be steel enforced enclosed. I wonder how they handle the blizzard beach gondola?

Janet & Dan