Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Gondola Transportation Proposed for Caribbean Beach and Nearby Theme Parks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overhead Gondola Transportation Proposed for Caribbean Beach and Nearby Theme Parks

Renovations to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort will apparently not include water launch transportation to a Walt Disney World theme park, but may include something far more unique.

London's Emrates Air Line

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting and cool idea. But I have to admit I have not seen any filings other than ones related to water flow and wetlands. And nothing that would affect the areas outside of Caribbean Beach.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Interesting and cool idea. But I have to admit I have not seen any filings other than ones related to water flow and wetlands. And nothing that would affect the areas outside of Caribbean Beach.
    The permits are referenced here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/p...ration.924477/

I did not read far enough to see if there are any direct links, but there are screen captures. Apparently some of it does link up with mysterious, unlabeled structures in the Caribbean Beach permits, as well as other permits recently filed for DHS. These may be documents at the OCC site rather than SFWMD since the latter is unique to changes which impact waterways.

Without any announcement from Disney, the full scope is open to interpretation. Just like everything happening at CBR. But there have been several rumors lately that the changes to CBR would include a transportation alternative "unlike anything else currently present at WDW."

Definitely worthy of rumor status...but there is some concrete evidence and it's better-sourced than many wild rumors, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I had already gone to the other website trying figure out the filings for DHS. I can't find that one. I went back to February 1st as they said it was filed this week. There 77 Disney project filings since 2/1/17 and several were for DHS but all are for projects within the park, not in the parking lot or near the lake where you board the boats to the Epcot area.

I hope it is true as that would be a fun way to travel, although it would be faster to take a bus.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

A gondola transportation would definitely be a game changer for the proposed DVC resort at Caribbean Beach. I think some people would be more inclined to buy at the new DVC resort if Disney offered a dedicated non-bus transportation system to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

EDITED to add:

Initially, I skeptical about the gondola project. Upon further review, I have looked at several plans submitted by Disney and I am now firmly in the gondola camp.
    Last edited by wdrl; 02-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I hope it is true as that would be a fun way to travel, although it would be faster to take a bus.
    Oh, I think exactly the opposite.

The London Air Liner holds 10 people in each cabin with 15 seconds between cabins. That's 40 people per minute. I can't see station backups being an issue--when do we ever see people steadily arriving at bus stops at a rate of more than 40/min?

So guests are likely to board with very minimal wait. The cars themselves will probably move at a fairly slow pace--maybe 10-15 mph. But the DHS route (in particular) is a straight shot. Epcot not quite as direct but consider how far a bus must travel--in congested, stop-and-go traffic--from CBR to the bus stations at the front of the park. And even then, guests have a considerable walk from the bus stops to the main entrance vs a (theoretical) gondola station right next to the International Gateway.

I agree that there's still no hard evidence. But it's interesting that the diagrams line up so well. Plus...as I said...there have been a lot of rumblings (from sources who tend to be reliable) that Disney was looking at a new type of transportation alternative for CBR.
    Last edited by TimK; 02-15-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What a novel idea. I would like to give it a try if they actually do this. I miss the sky ride they had in MK.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really cool, but I would hate to be hung up there in a malfunction.....
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC

CarolMN is offline Enjoying This CHOICE Site
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Oh, I think exactly the opposite. .................. vs a (theoretical) gondola station right next to the International Gateway...................................
    If the rumor comes true ( and I really hope it does), then I also hope they expand & re-design the IG entrance. It can get very crowded and backed up now, especially with the added trip through the scanner. Adding more guests from CB & new DVC resort would make using the existing entrance unworkable.

10. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
    If the rumor comes true ( and I really hope it does), then I also hope they expand & re-design the IG entrance. It can get very crowded and backed up now, especially with the added trip through the scanner. Adding more guests from CB & new DVC resort would make using the existing entrance unworkable.

Oh, but better yet -- let's consider this: What if you went through security screening before boarding and at the drop off point you walked down a ramp directly into the park? Just like boarding the monorail in California at DTD, you get screened and dropped off in Tommorowland.

Now, if they did this it would totally make sense. Wouldn't work well for rope drop, but does rope drop matter that much when you're DVC anyways? Especially with FP+, no more MK opening ceremony out front, & a fabulous Geyser Point to enjoy breakfast....
    Ron

2008 - Allstar Music, 2009 - POFQ, 2010 - AKL, 2011 - WL, 2012 - WL, 2013 - WL, Mar 2014 - BC , Dec 2014 - AKV Kidani, Mar 2015 - VWL, Oct 2015 - PVB, Mar 2016 - VGC, Mar 2017 - VGC

12. Likes denlo liked this post