Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Grand Californian Refurbishment Update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Californian Refurbishment Update

Guest rooms and pools are currently under the knife at the Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

In My opinion the villa refurbishment was long overdue. We stayed there in August and the rooms were in pretty bad condition including frayed carpeting, a sagging couch and water stains on the coffee table. I think they should have started this refurbishment in 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2015 DVC decided to shortened the refurbishment schedule that every 7 years resorts would get a soft goods refurbishment and every 14 years a hardwoods. I cannot remember what the old schedule was though. I'll look for TimK's recap of that annual meeting and see if says. Whatever time period, I agree it was too long between refurbishments.

Here is what the 2015 meeting recap says:
    DVC has increased the frequency of these full renovations from every 24 years to every 14 years. According to budget projections, making this change resulted in an impact to member dues of less than 1%.
    Between these full renovations are lesser updates to "soft goods" and "hard goods" which are scheduled about every 7 years. Soft goods typically consist of design materials including bedding, wall, window and floor coverings and upholstery. Hard goods refurbishments include updates to appliances and furniture.
    So hopefully with this new timeline the rooms will not get so worn.
    Last edited by denlo; 02-08-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge