Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boardwalk. This was once our favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boardwalk. This was once our favorite.

We have just spent the Christmas weekend at Boardwalk; our home resort. During previous trips, we had noticed that the resort seemed different. Notably absent were the beautiful floral arrangements in the entry. My wife has always loved the flowers in the entry, lobby and other common areas. This was one of the “touches” that made Boardwalk a deluxe resort. Our trip before the holidays was in October. At that time, we inquired at the desk and were told they were getting ready for Christmas decorations so this is why the areas were bare. There have been other changes that we have seen, and have attributed those to cost-cutting. The changes are not limited to décor; the quality of guest services has diminished. We do understand some of these so we are not averse to changes.
    Upon arrival on Friday, the entry did have a floral arrangement, just one - in the entry. I had seen others’ posts and pictures of the lobby this year but my wife had not. I had tried to prepare her but she could not believe her eyes. Long gone were Donald, Daisy, Lewy, Huey and Dewey-even Stitch was more festive than this. In its’ place was a table, a cash register, a few ginger bread houses (made from the kits they were selling). The only thing I can say is WOW! What had happened to the holiday décor that we had enjoyed in previous years? Is this what has happened to all of the resorts? No –Boardwalk seems to be the only resort suffering from anemic holiday displays.
    Our morning plan was to visit the Epcot resorts to see the holiday decor. Dolphins' tree with its’ train was beautiful. ; as was the Chocolate Santa at Swan or is it the other way around. The Yacht and Beach Clubs were beautiful as always. During the course of our weekend we visited the Contemporary, Poly, Floridian, Wilderness, Jambo & Kidani. We could find the Hidden Mickeys or Olafs in the displays. The other resorts never gave us the feeling their only purpose was to sell us a gingerbread kit. All were very beautiful; some more than others. Happy Festivus!
    We had done online check-in requesting an 1) upper floor, 2) near the elevator. We received the text stating that our room was ready while we were touring resorts. The room assigned to us was Room 1005. This room was on the ground floor, and at the end of the corridor. I know requests aren't guaranteed but this was the complete opposite. Our experience has been that if we request a preference at Boardwalk, we are pretty sure we will be assigned the opposite of our request. We haven’t had this issue at other resorts. We headed back to see if we could change rooms.
    I have a question maybe someone could answer. What are the cast members at the front desk staring at on their screens when they are not helping a guest? Mind you no one was ahead of us and no one was checking in but there we stood waiting for someone to acknowledge us and ask to help us. Even what I assume was a manger was too busy in conversation to notice us. I'm 6'2" 260 lbs. wearing a bright red shirt, tough to miss. Finally with half a smile we were asked if she could help. We were told no other room was available (studio) but they could change us for our next night. She told us they would leave a message on our phone with instructions to confirm the switch. We didn’t receive a phone call; we had to follow up with the front desk to make our move the following day.
    This was not the first time we have stayed in this room. Last time I had issues with the mold (common in ground level). I explained this to the cast member and was told the room had recently been refurbished and it would not be a problem. This time the room’s mold was in remission. I spotted adhesive being pushed up through the vinyl floor. This is usually caused by moisture pushing the adhesive up through the cracks. It hasn’t rained much in Orlando for a few months so mold was not a problem this trip but this room has ongoing issues.
    This love lost of the Boardwalk has been building for a while, with its’ less than friendly staff. This comment may be bit strong but there is a marked difference between resorts. We have many encounters with so many cast members that make our stay very magical-just not as many at the Boardwalk. This was once our favorite. We are sad to say that this is no longer true.

Post Thanks / Like

Always liked the location of the Boardwalk altho the Carney aspect was never my favorite. Each time we stayed at Boardwalk at some point DH would look at me and ask why we were there. Never got above the 2nd floor, always somewhere around the elevator and close to the lobby - even tho we always asked to be on a high floor away from the elevator. Of the 4 times we stayed there the pool was closed either the entire stay or 90%. Maintenance issues ....

Every time I mention availability in BW my husband always says "There's got to be somewhere else."

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

So sad to read your post. Our ongoing issue is usually quality of housekeeping.
    We as members who love Disney and our DVC memberships must be consistent and go straight to the hotel manager with issues, take pictures, call memeber services while you are there and communicate to the Member satisfaction team. We have got to squeak to the people who can change this.
    I am on a first name basis with Member satisfaction. We also need to be well articulated and calm so our concerns are heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC OR BUST View Post
    So sad to read your post. Our ongoing issue is usually quality of housekeeping.
    We as members who love Disney and our DVC memberships must be consistent and go straight to the hotel manager with issues, take pictures, call memeber services while you are there and communicate to the Member satisfaction team. We have got to squeak to the people who can change this.
    I am on a first name basis with Member satisfaction. We also need to be well articulated and calm so our concerns are heard.
    BW is not one of our 'homes' so we haven't made any complaints directly to the venue. We have expressed our dissatisfaction with the pool closures and maintenance issues in the follow up surveys.

It is an interesting note that BW and BC are across the way from each other but we haven't encountered the problems at BC we've encountered at BW.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Living the majority of my life in South Jersey, I've spent many days and nights playing on the Boardwalks in Atlantic City, Wildwood, Ocean City, Cape May and other lesser know areas. Nothing about BW gives me the feel of being at The Boardwalk.

We have stayed there a couple times, mostly just to say we did, but after BCV opened and we added on there, we had no desire to return.

We never encountered any problems that I can recall but are stays took place way back when BW was your favorite resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    Always liked the location of the Boardwalk altho the Carney aspect was never my favorite. Each time we stayed at Boardwalk at some point DH would look at me and ask why we were there. Never got above the 2nd floor, always somewhere around the elevator and close to the lobby - even tho we always asked to be on a high floor away from the elevator. Of the 4 times we stayed there the pool was closed either the entire stay or 90%. Maintenance issues ....

Every time I mention availability in BW my husband always says "There's got to be somewhere else."

Wow... you're lucky!!! We need to go down at the same time and maybe we can switch rooms! BW is one of my home resorts and every time I've stayed there it's ALWAYS above the 2nd floor and NEVER close to the elevator... always a walk to the room!

I haven't experienced any of the problems that anyone has said here so far... was there at the end of October and everything was great and the CM's were very attentive when I checked in.. they were pretty busy and I think I only waited a few min to check in.

7. Likes SchoolBelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    Living the majority of my life in South Jersey, I've spent many days and nights playing on the Boardwalks in Atlantic City, Wildwood, Ocean City, Cape May and other lesser know areas. Nothing about BW gives me the feel of being at The Boardwalk.

We have stayed there a couple times, mostly just to say we did, but after BCV opened and we added on there, we had no desire to return.

We never encountered any problems that I can recall but are stays took place way back when BW was your favorite resort.
    Our annual week at Beach Club Villas was disappointing this past December as well. There is no "beach" theme any longer, no "Disney" theme any longer, just a hotel room and one redone on the cheap!

Post Thanks / Like

I spent ten days there last July and noticed the staff to be very businesslike and not necessarily warm like at other resorts. They weren't rude but they weren't exactly friendly either. For example the staff at the Yacht club seemed happy to see you and were always engaging conversations with myself, wife or daughter. Even the mousekeepers seemed pleasant and full of smiles. The Boardwalk crew acted as if they were just trying to get through their shift. If I was to guess, the blame would be on their manager.

10. Likes GOJOE, bakerworld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Growing up in South Jersey, we spent every summer (40+) on the boardwalks of the Jersey Shore. IMO the biggest thing lacking from Disney's Boardwalk is a Ferris Wheel. How cool would it be riding up to catch views of Epcot & Hollywood Studies? How cool would it be viewing a colorful Ferris Wheel from across the water at the Beach Club? To me it's a no brainer, The Boardwalk needs a Disney styled Ferris Wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Growing up in South Jersey, we spent every summer (40+) on the boardwalks of the Jersey Shore. IMO the biggest thing lacking from Disney's Boardwalk is a Ferris Wheel. How cool would it be riding up to catch views of Epcot & Hollywood Studies? How cool would it be viewing a colorful Ferris Wheel from across the water at the Beach Club? To me it's a no brainer, The Boardwalk needs a Disney styled Ferris Wheel.
    I would love it if they brought the Fun Wheel from CA to the Boardwalk. There is something special about that Ferris Wheel, maybe it is because you swear you are going to a complete 360, which never happens, but the excitement is there. I don't know how they would charge to ride it though as it wouldn't be part of a park.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge