Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Old Key West Refurb Delayed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Key West Refurb Delayed

Guest room renovations planned for Disney's Old Key West Resort have been pushed back from their projected spring 2017 start date.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really looking forward to seeing the room remodel for OKW. This full remodel is the first, as OKW is the original DVC resort, so we don't really know what all it entails.

Is there anything DVC owners of OKW would really like to have in their rooms? Or what decor really makes the resort feel like OKW?

I am a little confused on that subject. I know OKW was supposed to be based the decor of Victorian Key West. But to me the interior never was Victorian. And who would really want the uncomfortable furniture from that era? The buildings at OKW really remind me of the houses in old Galveston, Texas which are from the late 1800 to early 1900s. I have to admit that I don't remember seeing homes like these at Key West when we were there a few years ago. So I can't compare. The photos online of Historic Key West appear to be similar to these I took in Galveston. So I think DVC got the exterior correct. But what should be done with the inside decor?

DSC_4372.jpg

DSC_4373.jpg
    DSC_4396.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

A relative who knows very little about WDW recently spent a night at OKW that I arranged for her while I was also there. As I drove her to her room she remarked, "Wow, this looks just like Key West!" She had been to Key West years ago and several times remarked on the similarity. I guess there must be at least some authenticity!

4. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do know that when I was watching one of the zillion HGTV shows I watch, I saw an area that I said "Hey, that looks just like OKW" and then found out it was Key West. We're at OKW right now, and the villa looks really tired-the floor has numerous dings and there're lots of chunks out of furniture. And the coffee table, with its "unique" paint job is....umm, how do I describe it? I'll think of what improvements I might like besides "Spruce it up".oh, I can think of one-get rid of those pull up curtains that take forever to pull up.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to believe that Key West resembles OKW.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll preface this by saying that I have ZERO interior design experience. (Big shock, eh?)

With that out of the way, my sense has always been that while most of the Disney resorts are true to their theme, they are also gushing with 1990s design sensibilities. Things like the heavy use of ceramic tile at OKW (probably Vero and HHI too), the hunter green color palette at VWL and much of the in-room artwork & accessories which (in my opinion) had grown to look quite tacky.

But some people grew attached to the decor and view any change as a downgrade. The recent Beach Club refurb is probably the most polarizing. At no time did I EVER look at those rooms and think: "wow, this is exactly how a New England cottage would look in the early 1900s!"

To me, BCV was always a 1990s hotel room with a few beach-like splashes.

Now, after the refurb, it's a mid-2010s hotel room with a few beach-like splashes. (At least it's no longer 15+ years out of date!)

I'm expecting similar for OKW. Look at the Vero refurb for a hint...those rooms are surprisingly elegant and inviting for a Disney resort that's nearly 25 years old. At OKW, I expect they'll keep some of those lighter pastel colors. The exterior design won't change. But inside we'll see some darker woods, new counters & appliances, maybe new cabinets, 21st century bathrooms, USB charging ports and so on.

Anyone who expects the rooms to remain frozen in time will be disappointed. But I think the majority realize they need an update which goes beyond new furniture and wallpaper.

One of the rumors I've heard is that part of the delay has to do with the master bathroom tub. At Vero, they removed that corner jacuzzi tub and replaced with a pedestal. I know the pedestal tubs at BCV do not have any sort of bubble/jacuzzi feature. Rumor is that DVC may upgrade to pedestal tubs with the bubblers on the bottom, like they installed at VGF. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    I do know that when I was watching one of the zillion HGTV shows I watch, I saw an area that I said "Hey, that looks just like OKW" and then found out it was Key West. We're at OKW right now, and the villa looks really tired-the floor has numerous dings and there're lots of chunks out of furniture. And the coffee table, with its "unique" paint job is....umm, how do I describe it? I'll think of what improvements I might like besides "Spruce it up".oh, I can think of one-get rid of those pull up curtains that take forever to pull up.
    This comment could have been taken from the thread on BCV before they "Finally" refurb'd it. Hopefully they don't drag out this project for years like they did it.
    -

CBR 6/89, 6/94, 7/95, 8/03
    BCR 8/04, 8/05, 3/06, 12/11
    BWV (1-BR) 12/06, 4/09, 9/10, 4/13 (2-BR) 2/12
    BCV (2-BR) 12/07 (Studio) 9/15
    BWI 11/14
    Dream (3-Night) 9/12, (4-Night) 4/13,11/14
    Fantasy (7-Night Western Caribbean) 5/14
    Wonder (7-Night Alaskan)
    6/15