Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney After Hours Returns in 2017 with Lower Price, Member Discount

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney After Hours Returns in 2017 with Lower Price, Member Discount

Walt Disney World didn't exactly make a splash with its "Disney After Hours" concept in 2016 but will try again in 2017 with modified pricing and discounts for DVC members.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

It still seems too expensive to me, but maybe I'm just a cheapskate. But I remember buying tickets to E-ride night back in 2002 for less than $15. We bought DVC points direct from Disney the next day. If I increase the price to present day based on the increase in points cost ($75 to $175 versus $14 to X), that's about $35 today, NOT $89 (does that analogy make sense to anyone or is it just this retired math teacher's ratio). Anyways, WAY too expensive for us. And they say they cut the price? Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am missing something about this offer. Isn't a single day ticket $105 at the Magic Kingdom? So for less hours with less people DVC members pay $89 and everyone else pays $119, I don't see how it is great deal to pay more for 4 or 5 hours versus 12 to 14 hours on a normal day.

It would be good for those:

1. That are late night folks (I turn into a pumpkin at 10:00).
    2. People that absolutely hate crowds.
    3. Who do not have young children who need their sleep.
    4. If you don't want to or can't get up before noon.
    5. Or if you don't care if you spend more to get less as long as it is more quality time for your lifestyle.

Perhaps the last item is the best way to look at it, especially with the DVC discount. You could ride a lot of rides in a few hours with less people around. But it is still not something for me.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worth it in this situation

So we are planning a trip in August and we brought up if we fly in and get there at 1:00pm, it is not worth the price of a whole day for a few hours and waiting in the lines in the park at $100. Although if we were to buy this we get fewer people shorter lines and get to hit what are the most commonly wanted rides. That to me is worth $89 till the cows come home, because the Return on investment is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fireshot25 View Post
    So we are planning a trip in August and we brought up if we fly in and get there at 1:00pm, it is not worth the price of a whole day for a few hours and waiting in the lines in the park at $100. Although if we were to buy this we get fewer people shorter lines and get to hit what are the most commonly wanted rides. That to me is worth $89 till the cows come home, because the Return on investment is better.
    So, this does NOT require a regular ticket (or AP) for that day?
    We get off a Disney cruise in January & are spending a couple nights at SSR. Our 3 grown children & their spouses don't have AP's so we weren't planning on going into the parks, just relaxing at the resort & Disney Springs. However, if the $89/pp got us in for 5 hours (entry at 7PM) with 9PM until midnight with reduced crowds, it might be worth it to us as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UNYboater View Post
    So, this does NOT require a regular ticket (or AP) for that day?
    We get off a Disney cruise in January & are spending a couple nights at SSR. Our 3 grown children & their spouses don't have AP's so we weren't planning on going into the parks, just relaxing at the resort & Disney Springs. However, if the $89/pp got us in for 5 hours (entry at 7PM) with 9PM until midnight with reduced crowds, it might be worth it to us as well!
    Event ticketholders can enter the park beginning at 7pm each night.
    You are right you can get in before the park closes at 7:00 PM. It sounds like it might work well for your family.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    ...Or if you don't care if you spend more to get less as long as it is more quality time for your lifestyle.

Perhaps the last item is the best way to look at it, especially with the DVC discount. You could ride a lot of rides in a few hours with less people around. But it is still not something for me.
    Depends on how you qualify "getting less." If the crowds mirror 2016, I bet you could get thru as many attractions in those 5 hours as during a full day in the Magic Kingdom. There were reports of people staying on the Mine Train over and over again because nobody else was waiting to ride.

Factor in the refreshments that are included and it increases the value.

If I were choosing between a single day ticket at $100+ vs this $90 ticket, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Although having an AP or multi-day tickets would complicate the decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Depends on how you qualify "getting less." If the crowds mirror 2016, I bet you could get thru as many attractions in those 5 hours as during a full day in the Magic Kingdom. There were reports of people staying on the Mine Train over and over again because nobody else was waiting to ride.

Factor in the refreshments that are included and it increases the value.

If I were choosing between a single day ticket at $100+ vs this $90 ticket, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Although having an AP or multi-day tickets would complicate the decision.
    That's the key.... if have to get single day ticket... Those with AP, like myself, does complicate some things, because I don't believe this has much value if I can go at any time and now have to pay an additional $89 for "extra magic hrs" ... unless ice cream and popcorn is worth the extra money.. and that to me doesn't seem worth it... although if the rides that are open appeal to you, then it might be worth it... guess it just depends on what is important to you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKevin131 View Post
    That's the key.... if have to get single day ticket... Those with AP, like myself, does complicate some things, because I don't believe this has much value if I can go at any time and now have to pay an additional $89 for "extra magic hrs" ... unless ice cream and popcorn is worth the extra money.. and that to me doesn't seem worth it... although if the rides that are open appeal to you, then it might be worth it... guess it just depends on what is important to you
    Agree. It's similar to the Halloween and Christmas parties. Tough sell to get those with APs and multiday tickets to bite for $80+ per person. But people still do it.

I'm curious to hear if there's any dramatic changes to crowds. My gut tells me that Disney would have to admit more people in order to justify operating costs at the lower price point. (But they also need to find more people willing to pay the price.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    I bet you could get thru as many attractions in those 5 hours as during a full day in the Magic Kingdom. There were reports of people staying on the Mine Train over and over again because nobody else was waiting to ride.
    Where are you getting 5 hours? I'm only see 9-12 and 8-11.

$90.00 for three hrs is pretty steep.

What really bothers me is this is just another way to sell the same hours twice. It's not like a One Day, One Park pass for the MK cost less on the days they close early for an event. Did anyone get a rebate on their AP because they just took hours away for Disney After Hours?

This will only become more common. Disney will find more "Events" to add throughout the year until eventually every month will have something and the next step will be to expand to other parks.