Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: Perk Availability

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: Perk Availability

Disney Vacation Club recently began offering a behind-the-scenes tour of Soarin' to its members on both coasts. As one of the most popular theme park attractions, the tour quickly gained interest among members. Unfortunately, many owners were left disappointed as they discovered that only 20 participants were allowed per day. At Walt Disney World, six months' worth of tour dates were completely filled within minutes of their opening.

Topic: Should DVC even offer perks of this nature if availability is so severely limited?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

How timely... I just called over the weekend to add the Soarin tour to our May trip and was told that it was booked. I kind of assumed that maybe I was just too early and that dates weren't released yet!!! My bad. Maybe demand was underestimated and they will add days or slots. I will say that I like all the things that are being offered and knowing the next trip is just around the corner I will just be more diligent in adding this and the Old Key West tour to the mix. Thanks for the heads up and the timely insight.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a no brainer.

If nothing is offered, 100% of the membership gets nothing.

If something is offered but you don't get it for whatever reason, a portion of the membership did get something. For FREE. From DISNEY.

Suck it up snowflake. Better luck next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monorailbob View Post
    I called at 182 days for our May trip and had no luck. Apparently if you have a resort stay you can book at 180 +10 days just like dining.
    At 182 you wouldn't be able to get anything since you had not reached the 180 mark.

It is my understanding that just like for dining at the 180 mark from check in you can book 10 days worth of dining or check forward for 10 days for available for tours.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

A perk is a Perk - if everyone was able to take advantage of a Perk it would become a financial liability and there'd be no way it would be offered again (for example, the 10 years of free tickets to initial members of the Disney Vacation Club).

I enjoy the a few perks altho most aren't offered when I am there (like the Soarin' tour) or not something I would use. I don't see any reason perks can't be offered - the fact that the Soarin' Tour was sold out so fast implies it won't be offered again or will be offered at a different time.

IMO Perks walk a fine line of a being a unique experience for enough members to create a positive image boost for DVC without irritating the rest of the membership.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monorailbob View Post
    I was within my 180 days +10 when I called. The Wednesday I was checking on was at 182 days and they said it was fully booked. I asked member services if it was like dining that you could book at 180 +10 with a resort stay and they said yes. I've seen other sites report that you can get in at 180 +10 also.
    You can book dining reservations 180 days in advance for up to 10 days of your vacation as a resort guest.
    You can't book 190 days in advance of your check in date for ADRs as you start booking at the 180 mark and can go forward no more than 10 days. I was told by the Tour people that it was the same for tours.

Is there any chance that you called at the 180 day mark and requested the tour date which happened to be 182 days out?

I know it sounds like semantics, but people easily think they can always call at 190 days to start making ADRs or tours, but they are restricted to not calling to make any reservations earlier than 180 days before their check in date.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to get the DCA Soarin' tour at the 60-day mark a couple weeks ago. Started calling right at 6am Pacific, and due to computer issues, member services wasn't available until 7am. Called off and on to see if I could get in when they opened. Got in just before 7.

By the time I got to customer service, all slots were gone.

Fortunately, my daughter (huge​ Soarin' fan) was sitting next to me and saw how hard I was trying.
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me45, wife45, daughter18, son16, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

It's a really fun idea, but limited to 20 people per day when there are 200K+ DVC members??? Makes one wonder why they decided to offer it when availability is so extremely limited. One member plus even one guest only allows 10 members to go on the tour. We thought they would at least allow as many guests as Soarin' holds ... Well, hope those who were able to book find it worthwhile ...
    - Lorie

9. Likes idratherbeinwdw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Price View Post
    How timely... I just called over the weekend to add the Soarin tour to our May trip and was told that it was booked. I kind of assumed that maybe I was just too early and that dates weren't released yet!!! My bad. Maybe demand was underestimated and they will add days or slots. I will say that I like all the things that are being offered and knowing the next trip is just around the corner I will just be more diligent in adding this and the Old Key West tour to the mix. Thanks for the heads up and the timely insight.
    I called on the first day of alleged availability, waited 15 minutes on hold, and was told all of March was already sold out. Reservations went like wildfire.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice perk but very limited

Quote Originally Posted by DVCNews View Post

Disney Vacation Club recently began offering a behind-the-scenes tour of Soarin' to its members on both coasts. As one of the most popular theme park attractions, the tour quickly gained interest among members. Unfortunately, many owners were left disappointed as they discovered that only 20 participants were allowed per day. At Walt Disney World, six months' worth of tour dates were completely filled within minutes of their opening.

Topic: Should DVC even offer perks of this nature if availability is so severely limited?

View complete article
    While I love that DVC is offering perks like this I do think DVC needs to get better at being able to handle the influx of calls that will happen when an event is offered. I tried calling for over 45+ minutes, on two different phones, and then was on hold for another 20+ minutes before being told that it was only offered on Wednesdays and was booked for every day that I checked. Sure, I was a little bummed but I'll just try for the next event. And while is a limited capacity/date event (as are all of the DVC events) I think they need to be able to handle the call volume.