Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just back from Hilton Head

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just back from Hilton Head

Our usual Thanksgiving at the DHHIR. First, after seeing the devastation on the island and having a better understanding of how much was affected at the resort, it's a miracle that everyone's gotten it looking and functioning so perfectly. We only ate at 6 places- Kenny B's, Black Marlin, Sea Shack, Tide Me Over, Salty Dog, and Poseiden. The rest of the time we ate at our villa-3 of those meals were Signe's Thanksgiving meal. We did Chef Gordon's Wine Tasting twice-in Big Murgie's Den and lots of fun. Highly recommended! We were in a 1 BR, actually in 2 1 BRs, due to some "Mickey Magic" (long story). And we had experience with several local golf courses, but not Palmetto Dunes, which didn't open until the day we left. Any questions?

Post Thanks / Like

So what happened at HHI with the hurricane? Did they tell you what needed to be repaired or what damage was done? Did anything at the resort or beach house have to be removed or closed because they were still working on it?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    So what happened at HHI with the hurricane? Did they tell you what needed to be repaired or what damage was done? Did anything at the resort or beach house have to be removed or closed because they were still working on it?
    The effects of the hurricane on the resort and on the entire island are incredible. What I hadn't thought of was that with the hurricane comes strong rain and wind, and the rain was actually blowing into rooms on all the floors. Then it was another 4 days before people could return, so almost all the villas had at least some damage, most were destroyed. When we were there, 7 weeks after the hurricane, there were still workmen around the resort, the entrance to the lobby from the back was officially closed off, lobby restrooms closed, and the recreation counter was in the lobby until about half way through our stay. And we saw lots of new wood, on stairs, fences, etc. However, the resort looks great and now that we have a better understanding of the extent of the damage (such as all the bikes for example), it's truly miraculous that everyone worked so hard to get everything so beautiful so quickly. As far as the island, I remember as we drove onto the island, there was a big lot on the right filled with huge logs, cut up trees. I mean FILLED!! Two of the three Palmetto Dunes golf courses were opened today, the third.....well, we'll see. We didn't take any pictures of the damage-part of me wanted to, but part of me didn't feel right about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the trees survive?

We love those southern oaks with the spanish moss, would hate to lose them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to HHI in 17 days

We are going to DHHIR in 17 days. Staying in a 2 BR studio as that was what we could get. My friend and her daughter are driving down to meet us. It's my second visit to the resort. The same friend and I visited in December 2012 and stayed in a 1 br for a long weekend. My husband has not been yet and he is excited. We need a relaxing vacation and this place is perfect. Hoping that there may be kayaking for us to do one of the days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sheliaanne View Post
    We are going to DHHIR in 17 days. Staying in a 2 BR studio as that was what we could get. My friend and her daughter are driving down to meet us. It's my second visit to the resort. The same friend and I visited in December 2012 and stayed in a 1 br for a long weekend. My husband has not been yet and he is excited. We need a relaxing vacation and this place is perfect. Hoping that there may be kayaking for us to do one of the days.
    I am a little confused by the 2BR studio as there is a studio or a 2BR. Perhaps you meant a 2BR and a studio.

I do hope you and your friends have a wonderful trip.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I am a little confused by the 2BR studio as there is a studio or a 2BR. Perhaps you meant a 2BR and a studio.

I do hope you and your friends have a wonderful trip.

Thanks! We are looking forward to it. Its supposed to be 5 of us but may only end up being 4 of us. Either way we are going to have so much room. I did mean a 2BR and not a studio. It was late and my insomnia was in full swing last night. I am so ready for this trip. Some girlfriends and I went to WDW in November and it was not at all relaxing. Its time to relax.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh you will have plenty of room in a 2BR for 5 guests. And HHI is a relaxing place. Have fun.
    --Denise