Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies/Teppan Edo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food allergies/Teppan Edo

My DGD has severe food allergies and I am always amazed how expertly Disney can handle it. The Disney chefs at all the restaurants come out to speak to her parents before ordering and then the chef prepares special food for her that will be safe.

My question is, does anyone have experience with the chefs at Japan's Teppan Edo? I've eaten there before and loved the food and the experience but none of the staff seem to speak English very well. I'm afraid that the language difference may be an issue when trying to explain about the food allergies. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

We have had chefs at Teppan Edo that spoke perfect English and some that do not. Have you googled it to see if anyone reports their experience?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/17 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary
    11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    We have had chefs at Teppan Edo that spoke perfect English and some that do not. Have you googled it to see if anyone reports their experience?
    Thats a great suggestion, Denise. I'll do that. Today I also sent an email to SpecialDiets@DisneyWorld.com I haven't heard back from them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:
    I needed to call DVC Member Services today to add the food allergies notification to my Teppan Edo reservation for my DGD. While I was on the phone, I asked the CM is she knew if Teppan Edo can handle food allergies. Ironically, I was lucky enough to speak to the right CM. She told me she actually went there last week with a friend who has food allergies. To my relief, I was told that the chef came out to speak to her friend, asking about her allergies, just like it is handled at all the other Disney restaurants. To avoid any cross contaminations with cutlery, the chef prepared the friend's food on the grill first. I am always so impressed on how Disney takes food allergies seriously.

5. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really good news, Linda.
    --Denise

03/27/17 - 04/05/17 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Please teach me something about food allergies. My first thought was about the table they cook on-how can they handle food allergies with that table? Or do they cook things that involve people with food allergies in the back? I have no idea, and yet, maybe some day I'll be at WDW with someone who has food allergies.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food allergies

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    Please teach me something about food allergies. My first thought was about the table they cook on-how can they handle food allergies with that table? Or do they cook things that involve people with food allergies in the back? I have no idea, and yet, maybe some day I'll be at WDW with someone who has food allergies.

What we have found at all the Disney TS and QS restaurants, once you tell them someone in the party has food allergies, the chef comes out and speaks to that person (or the parents). Then the chef goes out back and prepares food that will be safe. My concern about Teppan Edo was that the grill is in front of you and I worried about cross contamination (using the same knives that may have first been touched by egg/dairy). But I have been assured that the chef will prepare my DGD's food first on the grill to remain safe.

9. Likes RipperSB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Food allergies

UPDATE:
    I am happy to report that my DGD (who has severe food allergies) had a fabulous meal at Teppan Edo last week. The head chef came out to speak to her parents and he took notes of all my DGD's allergies and made suggestions of what she could eat and what foods or sauces wouldn't be safe for her. Then our chef came to our grill and prepared my DGD's food first. She was enthralled watching her food being prepared in front of her and thrilled that she got to eat before any of us!
    I am always so amazed how well Disney can handle food allergies, unlike any other restaurant back home.

IMG_2630.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That is great news. I was afraid they would make her order something that would be prepared in the kitchen. Thanks for letting us know.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    That is great news. I was afraid they would make her order something that would be prepared in the kitchen. Thanks for letting us know.
    I thought that might happen, too, but it didn't. The entertainment at this restaurant is the chef cooking on the grill in front of you. All the grandkids loved watching and even gave chopsticks a try.

13. Likes denlo liked this post