Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vero, Hilton Head Closed; WDW to be Impacted by Matthew

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vero, Hilton Head Closed; WDW to be Impacted by Matthew

Due to Hurricane Matthew, the National Hurricane Center has issued a hurricane warning for Central Florida, including Orlando, Walt Disney World, and Vero Beach.

UPDATE 10/6, 1pm: Disney has announced that Walt Disney World theme parks and Disney Springs will close at 5:00pm on Thursday 10/6 and remain closed all day on Friday 10/7.

Projected impact of Hurricane Matthew (Thu, 10/6, 10:30am)

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney Theme Parks are Closing at 5PM Thursday 10/06/16

Disney has now added further closure notices to the main page of the Walt Disney World Website, which includes that the Disney Theme Parks are closing through Friday:

October 6, 2016
    Based on the most recent forecasts for Hurricane Matthew, Walt Disney World theme parks, water parks, Disney Springs, miniature golf courses and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will all be closed today by 5 p.m. and will remain closed through Friday, Oct. 7.

Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Theme Park is also canceled for tonight and tomorrow.
    Last edited by denlo; 10-06-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I keep wondering if there are high winds in Orlando will the roads be officially closed to all but emergency traffic? That is what they do here in Texas anyway. If that is the case how will cast members get to work to serve all those guests at Disney resorts?
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

I hope CMs working at hotels are being put into some of the hotel rooms. Winds are expected to gust to 75+ MPH in the Orlando area. Praying for all in the path of this storm.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that some CMs told us a few years ago that they are asked to volunteer to be part of the WDW "hurricane team". During a hurricane they and their families (not sure about pets) are put up in Disney hotels. In return, they agree to work, sometimes well more than their normal shift.

Post Thanks / Like

It is nice that their families can join them. I am amazed that Disney could find all of these empty rooms considering how sold out resorts have been for this month.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    It is nice that their families can join them. I am amazed that Disney could find all of these empty rooms considering how sold out resorts have been for this month.
    My thought is that many guests would have cancelled and/or changed their plans during this storm. This should open up lots of rooms for the hotel staff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1972 View Post
    My thought is that many guests would have cancelled and/or changed their plans during this storm. This should open up lots of rooms for the hotel staff.
    There is also probably room inventory that was taken out of service for routine refurb but can still be used for emergencies such as this.

Post Thanks / Like

I expect a number of guests could not get to WDW and others could not get a flight out.

I keep thinking about the rooms set aside for remodel. When we were at BLT in June, they would block off one end of the hallway and strip the rooms practically bare for the new carpet and painting. Multiple rooms being done at the same time. I don't know how many were really set aside for the next round of remodeling though. Maybe that is where they got some of the extra rooms. Then DVC owns a large number of points for each resort. Any that had not been rented may have been pulled back from cash rentals too.
    --Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Default Veto beach

Wondering how Vero Beach resort was impacted by the storm