Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are DVC Member Perks Getting Better or Worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are DVC Member Perks Getting Better or Worse?

"They keep taking away our perks. Disney doesn't care about DVC members!"

It's a familiar refrain among members whenever adjustments to the Disney Vacation Club owner perks are brought to light. But are the perks really getting worse or merely evolving over time?

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worse

Quote Originally Posted by DVCNews View Post
    "They keep taking away our perks. Disney doesn't care about DVC members!"

It's a familiar refrain among members whenever adjustments to the Disney Vacation Club owner perks are brought to light. But are the perks really getting worse or merely evolving over time?

View complete article
    We have been a member for 12 yrs and over the years they seem to take things away from us. Disney forgets we are their bread and butter winners. We spend tens of thousands of dollars on a DVC contract and we get nothing it return. Yes you can give us these free 25th anniversary parties but who does it benefit.. only those who happen to be there at the time the event occurs. What about the rest of the 100s of thousand of us? What do we get? Why are we not appreciated?

Lets not forget the terrible customer service... We stayed one night at the Music this Spring and our room was clearly not cleaned. Washcloth on the floor. Half used containers of shampoo and lotion. Dirt on the floor. Hair dryer that caught fire. Moved over to the BCV and ice maker on our floor and the floor above us was broke so I reported it daily to two different people at the front desk. I finally talked to a 3rd person who told me to go the 2nd floor and use that one. I said I did already and it too is broken and has been for the past 3 days and I have been reporting this to the front desk every day.
    Did not want to make a dinning reservation using my phone because my battery. But I did check to see if there was availability and there was. So I went to the front desk of the resort I was visiting and the CM told me there was not availability. HUM.. I used the in house phone and made a reservation dept and they we able to make one. So I asked and she told me there was a lot of availability. I went back to the front desk and spoke to the Manager and told him Justin refused to make a reservation yet I was able to call and get one and was even told there was a lot of availability.
    Next year we just plan to rent out our points and vacation some where else. We have done this before and have netted $3k from a few sales so it should not take long to reach ROI and turn this into a money making business in our favor.
    Last edited by shelly f - ohio; 09-07-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No events have been announced for 2017 and there is some uncertainty as to Disney's plans beyond the current year. Most of the events taking place in 2016 have been directly tied to the 25th anniversary of Disney Vacation Club.

I think that DVC will continue to offer special events in 2017 for DVC members. Beginning in April 2016, DVD has imposed restrictions on people who do not buy DVC points direct from Disney. Specifically, people who buy deeds on the resale market do not have access to some of these perks, also referred to as "Membership Magic." If DVD wants to use access to events like the Beach Bash and Safari Nights to entice people to buy direct, then it stands to reason that it will continue to offer these events for the foreseeable future.

Its not always easy to keep track of all the perks that are being offered. When checking in at a DVC resort, I'll often ask Cast Members if there are any special perks being offered to DVC members. In 2014, we visited Aulani and got a free 8x10 photo because we were DVC members.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the perks are getting better in some ways and worse in others. I hate that our AP's went up and I also hate that I have to pay full price for my 3 year old little girl now because she can't ride everything. So why should I have to pay full price for her ticket? The general population gets a discount for 3-9 year olds so why doesn't a DVC member? However, I will say that we went to the AK event the other night and it was GREAT! We ate all the free ice cream we could plus chips, cookies, and lemonades. We also got to ride everything we wanted to. The other thing we have really enjoyed on this current trip is the DVC Lounge at EPCOT. All the cherry coke you can drink and plenty of snacks too. I told them that should continue and that it should also be in every park. It's a great place to relax for a bit in the park. They said the EPCOT one is there til the first of the year and they will decide after that. At the AK event there were some DVC big shots there that you could do a meet and greet with but I didn't get to because we just didn't have time to get to them. I wanted to see them badly though because I was gonna tell them to continue the DVC Lounges and also that I wished they would try and make a walkway to VGF. I know that one is a stretch but if I could get a walkway from there to MK I would stay there a lot more. BLT just can't be beat for me because I love the walkway so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesWooHoo View Post
    I hate that our AP's went up and I also hate that I have to pay full price for my 3 year old little girl now because she can't ride everything. So why should I have to pay full price for her ticket? The general population gets a discount for 3-9 year olds so why doesn't a DVC member?
    APs are the same price regardless of age and that applies to the general public, FL Residents & DVC Members. Only MYW Tickets have separate pricing for children (ages 3-9) and adults (ages 10+).

I wished they would try and make a walkway to VGF. I know that one is a stretch but if I could get a walkway from there to MK I would stay there a lot more.
    Not going to happen. They would need to build a bridge over the canal where the electrical water parade barges are stored and that bridge would cost more than the benefit it offers.
    Last edited by JaxFLBear; 09-08-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesWooHoo View Post
    I also hate that I have to pay full price for my 3 year old little girl now because she can't ride everything. So why should I have to pay full price for her ticket? The general population gets a discount for 3-9 year olds so why doesn't a DVC member?
    I'm confused about your statement that the "general population gets a discount for 3-9 year olds." Are you talking about the discount offered to kids ages 3 to 9 on Magic Your Way tickets? Everyone, including DVC members, can get these discounted MYW tickets for their kids.

To my knowledge, there is no discount offered on Annual Pass tickets for kids age 3 -9 that the general population could qualify for.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent article! My wife and I are new DVC members this year, we just made the cut on the perks loss in April. We are taking our first trip as member this November, and we both are looking forward to it greatly. We believe the happiness comes from how we spend our time at WDW, the memories we make there, not what someone else gives us. (as in perks) There's no sense in complaining about things 'not there anymore'....just find new ways to make happiness! ( and there are lots of ways)

The vacations we have taken there over the last few years have been amazing, and i KNOW will just keep getting better.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with these DVC member events is that they're rarely, if ever, announced far enough ahead so that members might be able to plan a trip to WDW around an event. For example, the recent event at DAK is one we might have wanted to attend, since I love DAK. But I don't remember when it was announced (and come to think of it, we already had a trip planned for the F&W, so pardon my whining about that one). I seems that dining discounts go away so quickly. For example, does anyone else remember the discount DVC had at Boma? It was about 7-8 years ago, come and gone in the blink of an eye. Too bad we don't get more credit for our loyalty. I'd like to see a permanent members' lounge at Epcot, if not at ALL the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, all we are actually promised is lodging. So any perks are pretty good. I'm lucky this time because we have a stay booked while the Safari Spectacular is going on and I booked it.

I liked the old, old days when each resort had a morning get together with donuts and coffee and juice to talk about the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    The problem with these DVC member events is that they're rarely, if ever, announced far enough ahead so that members might be able to plan a trip to WDW around an event. For example, the recent event at DAK is one we might have wanted to attend, since I love DAK. But I don't remember when it was announced (and come to think of it, we already had a trip planned for the F&W, so pardon my whining about that one).
    The DAK events were announced back in January.

I seems that dining discounts go away so quickly. For example, does anyone else remember the discount DVC had at Boma? It was about 7-8 years ago, come and gone in the blink of an eye. Too bad we don't get more credit for our loyalty.
    Dining & Merchandise discounts are NOT extended by DVC. DVC can ask for them, but if the restaurant or store doesn't want to offer a discount there is nothing DVC can do.
    Michael