Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Key West refurbishment to last more than 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Key West refurbishment to last more than 2 years

Yet another Disney Vacation Club property is scheduled to receive some TLC, but this project is going to be a long one.

Disney's Old Key West Resort

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Likes Lovinlife83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if OKW has a large TV setup added similar to the one at VB in the photo of the article. It will be shame to lose the kitchen island but the room is so large it could use the big TV. OKW really needs new tile in the bathrooms IMO too and new appliances in the kitchen, doesn't it still have the old electric burners? I hope they still keep the full washer and dryer.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

4. Likes Lovinlife83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They say the last one was 2010, but our pictures from 2012 clearly show the "old" style, pre-the last renovation. To me, it seems so early to do another, like "Didn't they just do one? Yet they waited over 12 years to do a significant one at BCV. Kind of strange.
    I just hope they keep the ceiling fans and ice makers at OKW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    OKW really needs new tile in the bathrooms IMO too and new appliances in the kitchen, doesn't it still have the old electric burners? I hope they still keep the full washer and dryer.
    Current appliances include a ceramic top stove, but they are not stainless steel.

No reason to get rid of the full washer & dryer since they have space for it. Most newer resorts just don't have any room.

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    They say the last one was 2010, but our pictures from 2012 clearly show the "old" style, pre-the last renovation. To me, it seems so early to do another, like "Didn't they just do one? Yet they waited over 12 years to do a significant one at BCV. Kind of strange.
    I just hope they keep the ceiling fans and ice makers at OKW.
    Renovation was definitely 2010-2011:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...shment-details

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts...st-renovations

But changes weren't dramatic. The kitchen countertop was replaced, but the tile backsplash and cabinets all remained. Bathrooms were completely untouched.

Until now, DVC was only budgeting for a top-to-bottom refurbishment every 24-25 years. That's why OKW got more of a refurb-lite back in 2010. This is playing catch-up.

7. Likes Lovinlife83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just looked more closely at my 2012 photos, and found the dreaded "new" balcony curtain-you know, the one where you pull it up over and over because it's so slow. It was our anniversary that year, so I guess I wasn't looking around the villa much. And although we go to OKW for our anniversary almost every year, we missed OKW in 2011 (our anniversary was Easter Sunday-not a good WDW time, IMO). So it could have been refurbished any time between 4/2010 and 4/2012. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Default OKW refurb

Great news. We just came back from OKW 2 weeks ago and my DW and I were both commenting on how rundown it had become. The bathroom tile is in terrible shape. It would definitely not help in selling DVC to prospective buyers. Don't flame me but compared to the last 2 Marriott stays we had, the difference is night and day. Now to see how much impact all the construction has on my home at VWL.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice if the Studio kitchenette, closet, bathroom entrance area was reconfigured.
    Last edited by bakerworld; 08-22-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    It would be nice if the Studio kitchenette, closet, bathroom entrance area was reconfigured.
    I would like if they added a night stand on each side of the beds with USB outlets and better lighting for reading. I have tried to use an iPad for reading but I still prefer a book so reading lights would be nice for each side of each bed, like they have at the Poly.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

12. Likes Lovinlife83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I would like if they added a night stand on each side of the beds with USB outlets and better lighting for reading. I have tried to use an iPad for reading but I still prefer a book so reading lights would be nice for each side of each bed, like they have at the Poly.
    Would think with the larger rooms of OKW they could fit in small end tables by each side of the bed. One of the Value Studios had a table on each side of the bed and I wondered if it is something you can request

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to hear this! We were recently at Polynesian for 5 nights & ended our trip with 1 night in OKW. The contrast was sobering.
    - Nancy
    WDW 1976,1982,1985,1993 (FL Res Pass) 2007,2008- Swan & Dolphin 2011- Pop Century 2014- KTTK Tour 2/2015- "Dream" Cruise 9/15 - SSR 5/2016- PVB & OKW- 1/2017- AKV & BCV
    Upcoming
    12/17 - SSR