Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor: Contemporary Convention Center to be Razed for DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rumor: Contemporary Convention Center to be Razed for DVC

In the fall of 1973, then-President Richard M. Nixon made his famous "I am not a crook" statement during a press conference at Disney's Contemporary Resort. If one rumor is to be believed, Walt Disney World may be ready to discard a piece of that history.

Bay Lake Tower during construction

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I'd have almost expected the opposite - replace the Yacht Club convention center with DVC units, growing another one to make up for it.

(Just because Yacht Club is now the only deluxe resort hotel without associated DVC villas.)

[WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me45, wife45, daughter18, son16, son12]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

3. Likes denlo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping a DVC would go into the YC.
    I guess Disney wants a bigger convention prescense in the more "grown up" area of WDW!
    Beth

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that the ground was determined to not be stable enough on that side of CR for a tower like BLT. Even if they tear down the convention center, which I highly doubt they would do, they need to add a lot more parking places to accommodate another large DVC resort.

I thought conventions are money makers for Disney, often large blocks of rooms are booked at fairly high prices. And conventioneers often bring in the family for a weekend.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    I thought that the ground was determined to not be stable enough on that side of CR for a tower like BLT.
    That's one of those statements which has been repeated so often that it's now accepted as "fact." However, you'll never find Disney going on record confirming it. We really don't know if it's truth or just another Disney urban legend.

I thought conventions are money makers for Disney, often large blocks of rooms are booked at fairly high prices. And conventioneers often bring in the family for a weekend.
    Per the argument here, that's why Disney is adding convention facilities at Yacht Club. The theory seems to be that Disney wants to shift its convention business to the more adult-oriented BoardWalk area (facilities at BW and YC/BC), along with Coronado Springs as the moderate.

I have to admit that line of reasoning does make some sense. BW has Atlantic Dance Hall, Dueling Pianos, ESPN Club, Flying Fish, Big River Grill, plus Epcot. Not that the MK area is lacking for adult entertainment, but it is much easier to find (visible) clustered around the BoardWalk for adults coming into the area for a convention...easier than reading a Disney guidebook to discover Trader Sam's or Narcoossee are a short monorail ride away from the CR. And to families, the parks are just a boat or bus ride away.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful. ..so more traffic like Gartner produces making it harder for vacationers to book rooms around the boardwalk are resorts...not only that but constant nightly beach parties the pedestrian areas being cordoned off ..harder to book dinners ..harder for us dvc members to get rooms cause even though there's only a certain percent of cash rooms st boardwalk and beach club they must take more out of inventory during times like Gartner for them to stay behind the scenes....
    And that's only in october...now we could get it year round

8. Likes pitriago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually surprised there isn't more of a convention Disney experience by the Springs - maybe the off-site hotels have this 'locked up'.

The conventioneers are offered the 4p ticket which can be a lesson in frustration if they don't understand the FP+ system or access or cannot obtain a FP for the attraction they're interested - this was my cousins experience. I don't see the plus for a Contemporary convention location - the 4p ticket will be the same experience of frustration as the Epcot location.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
    Actually surprised there isn't more of a convention Disney experience by the Springs - maybe the off-site hotels have this 'locked up'.

The conventioneers are offered the 4p ticket which can be a lesson in frustration if they don't understand the FP+ system or access or cannot obtain a FP for the attraction they're interested - this was my cousins experience. I don't see the plus for a Contemporary convention location - the 4p ticket will be the same experience of frustration as the Epcot location.
    I'm not sure if the special ticket offered to conventioneers, which permits access to the Parks starting at 4:00 PM, is any more frustrating than any other ticket media offered by Disney. The key is that anyone wanting to use the Fast Pass system -- regardless of the type of ticket media they have -- must know some of the basic rules about how the FP system operates.

Post Thanks / Like

A Disney trip is one you need to read up on before hand just to know those details like making FP+ reservations before hand. I bet if Janet's cousin had checked the night before she could have made FP+ without any problems for many of the rides with the exceptions of the Frozen Forever, Soarin' and 7DMT. But for a single rider she might have even got some of them--considering the tier system at Epcot.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

My cousin and her hubs had a few (self-induced) problems - they bought the ticket and went immediately to the park, which gave them no time to even think about FP+ - they didn't stop at the FP kiosk because of the line and they did no research on the parks other than a quick email to me. In my email, I assumed they wouldn't go to the parks and just told them the places to eat and how to navigate the Springs to avoid the Disney stores. I guess I should have assumed they'd do the parks but I figured there was no way they put out the cash - I am wondering if the tickets were either incredibly inexpensive ... or free.

Janet & Dan