Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DVC doubles RCI resort fee for exchanges

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC doubles RCI resort fee for exchanges

Individuals looking to trade their non-Disney timeshare for a Disney Vacation Club resort stay now have to pay considerably higher fees.

Disney's Beach Club Villas

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the fee for us to trade into RCI $95? Do you expect it to increase because RCI will do a *** for tat reaction?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/16 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

There is a $95 fee for DVC members trading into RCI. But that's a separate fee. The $190 referenced here is a fee charged to the guests by Disney to cover resort services.

It's likely that non-DVC owners trading-in also have to pay a fee to RCI at the time of the exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was thinking of this $95 fee:

From the Member website:

• Through August 3, 2016, a non-refundable $95 transaction fee applies per confirmed reservation or when an ongoing search is initiated (ongoing searches are available only for the Weekly and The Registry Collection® exchanges) through RCI. If payment is not received at the time of confirmation, Disney Vacation Club reserves the right to cancel the reservation.
    • Effective from August 4, 2016 through December 31, 2016, the $95 transaction fee will be waived for Disney Vacation Club Members for any RCI reservation (regardless of travel date).
    Was this fee something that DVC charges and it has nothing to do with RCI? I know there are sometimes fees involved at the different RCI resorts, like cleaning or resort fees for use of facilities but I always thought the $95 went to RCI.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

03/27/17 - 04/05/16 - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 37th Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

You are confusing two different things.

The information quoted above applies to DVC members trading OUT to other destinations. Owners must pay a $95 RCI fee (waived until 12/31) and could also be subject to a separate resort fee imposed by their destination.

The original story here applies to people trading INTO DVC from another timeshare. They likely have to pay a similar $95 exchange fee to RCI. Additionally when they arrive at the Disney resort, will be charged $190 as the resort services fee. Disney keeps the $190. It's Disney's compensation for DME, theme park parking, MagicBands and other expenses which are not covered by timeshare dues.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Double Dipping by DVC

"The resort fee is designed to cover a variety of products and services offered by Disney resorts which are not part of owner dues. Included in these services are the Disney's Magical Express airport transportation, theme park transportation, MagicBands, parking at Disney theme parks and more."

All of the above fees are paid from our Owner Dues each year. This is DVC double dipping on the original fee as well as the new fee of $190. There reasoning doesn't pass the stink test!

There are a lot of RCI resorts that charge a resort fee and they are doing the same thing as DVC is now. (double dipping)

When will this end... never... as long as management thinks we don't care.

I wonder if each DVC resort gets credit for resort fees to be deducted from the Owner Dues. I would love to see a line item on the next DVC financial reports.

I for one don't think DVC should not charge a resort fee and DVC should require all RCI resorts that it trades with to do the same.
    Last edited by mjfox; 08-15-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC and HGVC club owners

Quote Originally Posted by mjfox View Post
    "The resort fee is designed to cover a variety of products and services offered by Disney resorts which are not part of owner dues. Included in these services are the Disney's Magical Express airport transportation, theme park transportation, MagicBands, parking at Disney theme parks and more."

All of the above fees are paid from our Owner Dues each year. This is DVC double dipping on the original fee as well as the new fee of $190. There reasoning doesn't pass the stink test!

There are a lot of RCI resorts that charge a resort fee and they are doing the same thing as DVC is now. (double dipping)

When will this end... never... as long as management thinks we don't care.

I wonder if each DVC resort gets credit for resort fees to be deducted from the Owner Dues. I would love to see a line item on the next DVC financial reports.

I for one don't think DVC should not charge a resort fee and DVC should require all RCI resorts that it trades with to do the same.

I also am not pleased with the increased fee. We are both owners of DVC (just have 200 points) and HGVC. We live in the Northeast, so we often trade our HGVC points to get something closer through the RCI system. RCI reservation fees have gone up, and the last time I traded into RCI, I paid $209 RCI exchange fee. So I guess now if we want to use our HGVC points to trade into RCI for a DVC property, we now have to pay about $400 in fees. That is really high and agree, it is double dipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double Dipping by DVC

The double dipping is coming from DVC not RCI. We as owners of DVC already pay for all the things DVC says they need to use the resort fees for. Unless they return these fees to us, the members, than I am very opposed to any resort fees to be charged to RCI trade-in people or DVC members ever!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mjfox for the clarification.