Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disney beaches reopen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney beaches reopen

Beaches around Walt Disney World have reopened with new signage and usage policies.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Signs and Fences Up

All,

Just returned from a week on property (BLT, WL and GF). Beaches are open at all locations with the following changes:

1) Fences
    2) New Signs
    3) Lifeguards walking the area (only saw this at GF).

Pictures are from GF on Saturday!

Long.jpg
    Night.jpg

Having a Magical Day

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone been by the beach/yacht club side with their beaches? are there fences/signs there too?
    Also, are the evening movies back on the beaches/outdoors? Are the boats you can rent back in use?
    Thanks for any updates on this.

- highpoint7

Post Thanks / Like

Default BCV as of Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by Highpoint7 View Post
    Has anyone been by the beach/yacht club side with their beaches? are there fences/signs there too?
    Also, are the evening movies back on the beaches/outdoors? Are the boats you can rent back in use?
    Thanks for any updates on this.

- highpoint7
    BCV was closed as of Tuesday last week but guessing it should be open since GF was open later in the week. See pics. Boat rentals were open but did not check on movies.

3.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    Last edited by xvoltn; 06-27-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Addition

Having a Magical Day

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update. I'm sad for the fencing. I can see it being at GF and WL bc they are more out in nature with location. This area of beaches with BCV etc are so public I've never seen a gator there. Has anyone else? And, folks don't typically violate the no swimming area here because it is so public. Oh well. I guess I'll get used to how it looks. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Highpoint7 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I'm sad for the fencing. I can see it being at GF and WL bc they are more out in nature with location. This area of beaches with BCV etc are so public I've never seen a gator there. Has anyone else? And, folks don't typically violate the no swimming area here because it is so public. Oh well. I guess I'll get used to how it looks. Thanks again.
    The only time I've ever seen a gator at WDW was at BCV and he was huge! However he was on the front side under a walkway bridge and not in the lagoon but I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard for him to get there.

There's strong speculation what made the gator at GF more aggressive was because of the constant problem of people feeding them from the poly bungalows. Not as much problem of that at BCV, but still not worth the risk none the less.

Post Thanks / Like

I read the same thing about the feeding of the gators. It's hard to say what happened there. Also, it's not like Disney didn't monitor them either, from what I read they had a program in conjunction w Florida wildlife folks that took gators out and they had taken out like 250 over the last ten years (I think). More than likely that gator you saw was taken out due to its size and location. (At least I HOPE that it was done.) Anyway, sad for this situation, the family and their loss, and the remedies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aggiemullins View Post
    There's strong speculation what made the gator at GF more aggressive was because of the constant problem of people feeding them from the poly bungalows. Not as much problem of that at BCV, but still not worth the risk none the less.
    I have also heard this speculation, but find it a bit hard to believe. Has someone claimed to actually witness this, and/or is there any photographic evidence? We stayed in a bungalow last year, and the probability of there being alligators was certainly high on my mind since you are literally on top of the water. We stayed in a bungalow for 8 nights, and never witnessed any feeding of alligators or even birds -- and we were out on our deck a lot, at all hours of the day. I just can't fathom someone being foolish enough to feed alligators that are so close to you they could almost climb up and join you for a gin and tonic.

IDK, maybe I'm just a big scaredy cat... But I can more easily imagine someone who is safely on shore, tossing food into a canal, than I can imagine feeding alligators who are swimming directly beneath you. [Not that one is better than the other, really.] But this almost seems to be a product of the "bungalow bashing" that tends to happen on the message boards... Bashing by those who despise the very concept of the bungalows and the supposed "elite" DVC guests that choose to stay in them. For one thing there just really aren't all that many bungalows (only 20), so I think the impact from any supposed feeding from them would not be significant compared to the behavior of the overall population of guests at WDW.