Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Domestic Disney parks see impressive gains in 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default Domestic Disney parks see impressive gains in 2015

The Themed Entertainment Association and AECOM have issued their attendance estimates for the 2015 calendar year. All six Disney parks located in the United States fared well with attendance increases of up to 9% year-over-year, while the international destinations struggled to keep up.

The 2012 opening of Cars Land drove impressive growth for Disney California Adventure

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

2. Thanks denlo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The full TEA report makes for an interesting read. Not only was attendance at Disney Parks up by an average of 6%, revenue was up 9.9%. Revenue per Disney guest was estimated at $126, an increase of 3.7% over 2014.

There has been much discussion about Shanghai Disney (scheduled to open next month) having delays and cost overruns which may affect Disney's bottom line. However, TEA is estimating that the Asian markets will overtake the Americas by as early as 2020. Disney is probably wise to get into the China market now so that it can tap the expected growth in that part of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

One comment about TEA's methodology is determine attendance numbers at various amusement parks: In previous years' reports, TEA said that if a guest visited two or more Parks in a day, it only counted the first Park that was visited. So if someone spent the morning at the Magic Kingdom and then spent the afternoon at Hollywood Studios, only MK would get credit for a visit; DHS would get no credit.

I scanned through this year's TEA report and I could not tell whether it was using the same methodology as in previous years. Personally, I think it short changes some of the WDW Parks because there are significant numbers of guest who Park Hop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
    One comment about TEA's methodology is determine attendance numbers at various amusement parks: In previous years' reports, TEA said that if a guest visited two or more Parks in a day, it only counted the first Park that was visited. So if someone spent the morning at the Magic Kingdom and then spent the afternoon at Hollywood Studios, only MK would get credit for a visit; DHS would get no credit.

I scanned through this year's TEA report and I could not tell whether it was using the same methodology as in previous years. Personally, I think it short changes some of the WDW Parks because there are significant numbers of guest who Park Hop.
    I assume that was done for the sake of consistency. Years ago when Disney actually published attendance numbers, they counted guests the same way--only first park counted.

If TEA made that change in their methodology this year, it would have had a much greater impact on the numbers. Epcot numbers would have gone up much more than 3% if they started counting people who hopped over in the afternoon or evening.