Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Saratoga Springs now the best DVC value destination?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Saratoga Springs now the best DVC value destination?

Disney's Old Key West Resort has long stood as the best value proposition for a Disney Vacation Club destination at Walt Disney World. Despite sharing the same condo-style layout with Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Old Key West had the advantages of a more recognizable theme, larger guest rooms and lower nightly point costs.

Disney cannot do much to address the theme or guest room size without significant investment, but they can make changes to the points charts. And they have revealed plans to make just such a change.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't call it "the Projects" for nothing.

Jk

Jk

Post Thanks / Like

This should boost demand for SSR as a lower cost option. Low dues and now a booking option that is closer to OKW (and in some cases lower than OKW) points.

It will be interesting to see where the new demand goes. Will the demand be toward saving points and maybe spending time at WDW or will the Preferred locations remain the most popular locations?

DW and I don't own at SSR, but the lower point option is certainly more attractive to us now than it was before. Additionally, there are times we would be happy to pay a few more points to be guaranteed in the preferred buildings.

As someone mentioned in another thread, if they made near lobby an option for Kidani we would also be willing to pay a few more points.

Post Thanks / Like

Default As an AK owner, I just hope this doesn't increase costs for me...

I have NEVER been able to purchase a room for the AK value rooms, even as an owner. They are snatched up faster than bacon on the buffet. When I purchased my first 120, and then my second 100, I figured this to be the case, so it had never bothered me.

But when I am making plans within 6 months, I often end up at OKW (will be there in Feb) or at Saratoga Springs because the price can be cheaper (and we are park fanatics who see the room almost always for 20 minutes at night, and 30 minutes in the morning (regardless of weather . So it will really depend on how many rooms were made value versus standard.

I assume that the balance they are bound to would mean they have to balance not only points per level, but rooms at a level, so it remains to be seen if this is a good thing or not.

Louis

Post Thanks / Like

No, SSR not the best value destination when only looking at points, OKW and BWV still beat SSR in many categories. However, SSR is a good option when the other two resorts are not available, or if they do not provide what you want in a resort.

Personally the point difference between OKW and SSR differs so little that I would choose base on resort preference. SSR would be my preferred choice.
    Last edited by denlo; 12-29-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly won't change things for us. And seeings how the demand for the highest price resorts (VGF, BLT, Poly) is so high, my guess is that saving a few points isn't high on the priority list of the average DVCer. We're lucky-one of our favorite resorts is OKW, and it doesn't have to do with the low point values. We originally owned at VWL, and Guy wanted to switch to OKW. He was shocked (in a positive way) that OKW was actually fewer points. Note, I'm not arguing about favorite resorts, just making the point that most DVC owners want what they want, regardless of the point value.

Post Thanks / Like

The SSR comes into play for us when reserving for our kids. They rarely know more than 5 months out when the only option left is usually SSR unless they want to resort hop. It will be interesting to see if the new point distribution affects their 5 month availability schedule.

Janet & Dan

Post Thanks / Like

We always request the Grandstand, so this will be a plus for us. We own at SSR and love it there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elevators!!

DW and I have stayed at both OKW (Studio) and SSR (1 BR). We always drive down so transportation is not an issue. When we were at OKW, we had a 3rd floor studio, and the view was of trees and foliage blocking any sight line. The OKW resort itself was wonderful, room was huge. However, the climbing of the stairs multiple times a day really wore us out, and I thought we were in fair condition. We are now more inclined to book at SSR for the ease of elevators. With the 2017 point change, this is almost a no-brainer for us. OKW is still a possibility, but only if we can get a 1st or 2nd floor room. We plan on maxing out our 2017/2018 Annual Pass Year with lots of visits, so SSR is top on the list, followed by AKV Value (if we can book it), and OKW to help extend our meager points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    It certainly won't change things for us. And seeings how the demand for the highest price resorts (VGF, BLT, Poly) is so high, my guess is that saving a few points isn't high on the priority list of the average DVCer. . . . .
    Oh I think the average DVCer wants to still save points it just that there are folks with money buying into DVC as well or perhaps people that don't know any better and think buying direct is the only way to buy into DVC. Keep in mind that 20 years ago I thought DVC was way beyond our vacation budget yet lots of folks thought nothing of paying the direct price then.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/27-12/14/18 AKV Kidani Village
    2/19-2/22/19 - Bay Lake Tower
    3/10-3/14/19 - AKV Jambo House