Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal detectors arrive at WDW parks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Metal detectors arrive at WDW parks

Today Walt Disney World began random metal detector guest screenings at its theme park entrances.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, in this day and age, this has become the norm. I would rather have to wait in line a little longer and feel safe because I definitely don't want anymore idiots bringing their guns to any theme parks. It did make me a little sad to realize that theme parks have to go this route to keep people safe. It kind of took a little of the magic away for me.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they make all guests entering through the "Guest Without Bags" entrance go through metal detectors (which would include me).

The unfortunate reality however is that someone hellbent on destruction can easily get weapons into the parks. The measures Disney takes amount to the same reason we have locks on our doors; keep honest people honest.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KNWVIKING 2.0;184618]I hope they make all guests entering through the "Guest Without Bags" entrance go through metal detectors (which would include me).

I agree. That would be the safest step for them to take.
    ~Diana

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a long time coming. About 15 years ago, we went through metal detectors to enter a major park in San Antonio. My only concern is that will this make lines move much more slowly? Imagine this-guest goes through metal detector and sets it off; maybe it was his trading pins so he backs up takes his pins out and tries again. Nope, still setting off metal detector; maybe it's his change, back up, take out the change and try again, etc., etc. Pretty soon the lines look like trying to get through security at Orlando Airport.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saddened by this, but not surprised. The theme park nearest us here has had metal detectors for almost 20 years now, although they switched from walk-through to wands a couple years back. I'm curious how restrictive they're going to be about 'weapons' - is a typical pocket knife allowed?
    [WDW visits: DxL 1/98, VWL 1/03, WL 6/03, VWL 1/08, BWV 1/13, BCV 1/16, POFQ 4/17]
    [DL visits: 7/90, 11/93, 11/94, 11/95, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 11/99, 12/00, 8/01, 1/06, 2/08, 2/12, 6/14, VGC 7/16, DLH/VGC 1/17]
    [Family: me45, wife45, daughter18, son16, son13]
    [Races: 2016 WDW 10k, 2017 SW Light Side Rebel Challenge, 2017 SW Dark Side Half]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post
    I hope they make all guests entering through the "Guest Without Bags" entrance go through metal detectors (which would include me).
    I agree. That would be the safest step for them to take.
    The same problem exists in the bag check line -- they only check bags, not your pockets, legs, shirt, etc. That said, I'm less concerned about someone brining a handgun in through the front gate than I am brining a much more deadly weapon throught the employee/vendor entrance (or no entrance at all).

Post Thanks / Like

Sea World has always had a much more stringent bag check than Disney.

A few years ago we rode their newest coaster - Manta? - and it has some zero gravity areas where things just sorta float out of your pocket. I know this because I lost my car keys, phone & money clip.

After getting off the ride I - along with park staff - searched the flower beds and areas where they have found stuff. Well, we did find my keys & money clip, but we also found a dozen or so knives. LARGE knives, including switchblades.

Bottom line is that a park with minimally protected boarders is not going to prevent an act of terrorism.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes but

What about the area outside the security checkpoint? How many people are waiting for transportation outside the Magic Kingdom at 12:30 am on January 1? I hope they have lots of invisible security in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The security you DON'T see.

Quote Originally Posted by OmaOwl View Post
    I hope they have lots of invisible security in the area.
    This raises a good point. The detectors are the only visible and talked-about additions to security. I'm certain that Disney Security has added more covert cameras, plain-clothes officers, and uniformed security to look at the areas around the gates. It would be these "eyes" that spot the suspicious activity before it gets to the bag check or metal detector. Fortunately, Disney is wise enough not to promote these tactics.