Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disneyland to spend $1B following extension of tax waiver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland to spend $1B following extension of tax waiver

The Anaheim City Council has approved a 30-year extension of Disneyland Resort's admission tax waiver in exchange for a promise to invest $1 billion on its California theme park complex.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if Marvel gets a real park connection with Disney. DLRA would a perfect place to add too. I keep having problems trying to figure out how Disney might do it. I guess I still don't associate Disney with Marvel in my mind yet. I don't think a passive ride like The Little Mermaid Adventure or a small roller coaster like the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train would fit the Marvel fan's ideal.

The $1 billion didn't really mean much to me as we don't really know over what time period Disney is supposed to spend the money. A lot of that monies could have already been allocated for maintenance and upgrades of the aging (60 years) infrastructure at DLRA.
    How much is Disney spending to just add a section to Disney's Animal Kingdom park in Florida for the Pandora (Avatar) expansion? I don't really know. I pretty sure it is in the millions but is in the 10's of millions or more? Would updating Tomorrowland at DLRA cost a $billion?
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    The $1 billion didn't really mean much to me as we don't really know over what time period Disney is supposed to spend the money. A lot of that monies could have already been allocated for maintenance and upgrades of the aging (60 years) infrastructure at DLRA.
    Disney dangled that carrot in front of City Council in order to gain the tax waiver. I haven't seen any specifics reported publicly but I tend to think that council would have made sure the money was earmarked for new construction (jobs) rather than just some accumulation of budgeted maintenance that Disney is already obligated to spend.

How much is Disney spending to just add a section to Disney's Animal Kingdom park in Florida for the Pandora (Avatar) expansion? I don't really know. I pretty sure it is in the millions but is in the 10's of millions or more? Would updating Tomorrowland at DLRA cost a $billion?
    Don't know about Pandora but the Fantasyland expansion project was reportedly in the neighborhood of $550 million. Cars Land at DCA was $750 million. They also spent another $400-500 million on DCA when they added Toy Story Mania, World of Color, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Carthay Circle restaurant, new front entrance plaza with trolley, re-themed Silly Symphony swings and Goofy's Sky School, and re-themed various other areas of the park.

Off the top of my head, I think Mission Space cost $100-120 million and was touted as Disney's most expensive attraction ever at the time. (Expedition Everest and Radiator Springs Racers may have since eclipsed that cost due to all of the steel and faux rock work, not necessarily the ride system itself.)

Post Thanks / Like

It's great that they will be spending money in CA.

I am keeping fingers crossed that rumors of DHS plans being scrapped for something much larger prove correct. Someone threw out $3 billion for DHS and Epcot enhancements. I have a hard time believing that number, but I am all for some major changes.

I think Avatarland and the nighttime show are great additions for DAK. Wish they wouldn't be delayed, but delays often happen with WDW construction.

Epcot and DHS both need more. Epcot Soaring and Frozen changes are great, but those are already two of the few rides at Epcot for us. Epcot has become mostly a dining destination for us. We enjoyed Disney Springs and are enjoying the peacefulness of the resort restaurants, so Epcot admission is a deterrent to us.

We opted to head to CA around NYE and will go to DL/CA for the first time in ages. DW was in the 80's. For me, my only DL trip was 1969. Thanks to some information from Wil, we are really excited with DL/CA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Disney dangled that carrot in front of City Council in order to gain the tax waiver. I haven't seen any specifics reported publicly but I tend to think that council would have made sure the money was earmarked for new construction (jobs) rather than just some accumulation of budgeted maintenance that Disney is already obligated to spend.
    As part of the agreement, construction at the Disneyland Resort must begin before the end of 2017 and be completed in seven years, otherwise the ban will expire. This was the only public thing I found but as you said it did not say what the money would be spent on other than a new parking garage which I'm sure was already planned with or without the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by imdizfan View Post
    Wish they wouldn't be delayed, but delays often happen with WDW construction.
    I see this becoming the norm for some years now. Disney has way more work going on right now than central Florida has workers. Disney is not the only place in central Florida that has construction going on right now so I'm sure the competition must be fierce for competent workers and just as important competent construction companies to do the work. Another problem ALL of Florida has always shared is work force turnover. So many people move to Florida and then get home sick and move back north (I have personal experience with this, I would still live down there if my wife didn't get homesick). On top of all of this think of the 55,000 people (last number I heard) that Disney employees to run the joint and there again Disney isn't the only venue in central Florida.

So like I said I personally think you are experiencing the new norm which will probably just get worse and not better.
    -

CBR 6/89, 6/94, 7/95, 8/03
    BCR 8/04, 8/05, 3/06, 12/11
    BWV (1-BR) 12/06, 4/09, 9/10, 4/13 (2-BR) 2/12
    BCV (2-BR) 12/07 (Studio) 9/15
    BWI 11/14
    Dream (3-Night) 9/12, (4-Night) 4/13,11/14
    Fantasy (7-Night Western Caribbean) 5/14
    Wonder (7-Night Alaskan)
    6/15

Post Thanks / Like

Default It might be a new hotel

They might be spending money on a hotel...

I cannot post links yet, but google "LA Times Disneyland New High-end hotel proposed"