Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The next decade of DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Default The next decade of DVC

With construction well under way at Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, let's take a look at the next several Disney Vacation Club projects currently earmarked for Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney's Wilderness Lodge & Villas

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Expiry?

WL contracts expire in 2042, I assume new development would expire later? If they build more will the 11-month window allow people to book at the old or the new, or will it be like the two halves are different resorts?

Post Thanks / Like

Very interested read.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like what is rumored. For once it seems like Disney is realizing they can't keep building new WDW properties without adversely impacting their hotel side.

I think it's good to convert hotel rooms to DVC.
    1) It's a win for owners because unfilled rooms puts a larger share of maintenance fees on owners.
    2) More studios is a win because 1BRs are frequently the last to fill.
    3) It's a win for Disney because they shift older resort rooms to DVC. Less upkeep for shareholders to pay for.
    4) If they deluxe rooms become popular again, Disney can always build a new deluxe resort. Or they could wait until 2042 and tear down a DVC to build a deluxe on that property.

I also liked reading that they would tear down and build new at CBR. The lack of balconies and smaller room sizes at moderates had me a bit concerned. Since becoming DVC, we've really started to enjoy the resorts more. Relaxing on the balcony is part of that enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like

The article states that Disney is finding it harder to fill Disney Deluxe Resorts. I find this curious because Four Seasons just opened a brand new resort on Disney property. So at least one luxury hotelier is investing in the market. Maybe Disney wants to slowly move out of the full service deluxe hotel market.

In any case, more DVC rooms at Wilderness Lodge would be nice, I like the atmosphere there perhaps because I live in the PNW and it feels familiar. In any case, I would definitely love to stay there some day. I'm not sure I'm in the market to buy more points so, I hope it means more availability at the 7 month mark.
    Last edited by sssteph; 08-22-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sssteph View Post
    The article states that Disney is finding it harder to fill Disney Deluxe Resorts. I find this curious because Four Seasons just opened a brand new resort on Disney property. So at least one luxury hotelier is investing in the market. Maybe Disney wants to slowly move out of the full service deluxe hotel market.
    That's a good observation. I do think the Four Seasons name & reputation puts them in a different class than any Disney-owned resort. In the past, the "high roller" WDW guest would previously end up at the Grand Floridian by default. While GF is a very nice resort, the sheer crowds it attracts due to character meals, activities, open accessibility (monorail), DVC and other factors have taken away a lot of the seclusion and personalized service that some guests desire.

Again, GF is nice but in terms of resort services and amenities, it's pretty much on par with a 3-star resort these days.

I suspect $600-800 will go just as far--if not farther--at the 5-star Four Seasons than GF...admittedly without that perfectly framed castle view.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the CBR map, it's hard to see a good way to decide on 3 islands.

When looking at the map, it's basically three pairs.
    Barbados and Martinique.
    Aruba and Jamaica.
    Trinidad North and Trinidad South.

Assuming they keep Old Port Royale as CBR moderate main area.
    Trinidad South has always felt secluded from the rest of the resort, so that would be a a good place to tear down and put in a 7 story DVC but they'll need a good size parking area.

Looking forward to seeing what they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to know thoughts on how the additions at the WLV would affect current WLV owners. Is it just more options for us or would it be a separate resort with longer timeframe (than 2042). Would purchasers of the WLV after the completion of the additions have longer timeframe? Would they offer the option for us original owners to 'buy in' to the longer timeframe? How would this affect points/dates, etc. What about the laws that govern timeshares in the changes they would be making? It is all speculation I know, but still would love to know thoughts from folks who know more about how things work with it all.

Love the WLV's. Would love for all this to happen. Would love anything to happen so that I could get a room at a resort I want at 4 months notice or shorter. The playing field seems real crowded right now with reservation options and resorts. Hopefully all of this development will alleviate some of this. Probably not but it would be nice.

Thanks for the article and any input folks bring to what I have said here.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the expansion of DVC at a moderate resort, I never believed the rumors about DVC converting rooms at CSR. It just did not make sense to convert what are essentially upscale motel rooms with views of the exterior walk ways. The expansion of DVC units in a new building on Moderate property seems much more palatable and likely. DVC members expect a certain level of room quality and square footage. This could be achieved with brand new construction.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not get any clarity on how the contract end date would work.

In my mind, the most clear cut way to handle it would be with a contract extension offer (a la OKW) to existing owners, then roll the new Units into the existing condo association. If they want to start offering this in 2017, they would presumably extend the ground lease for all of VWL to 2067 (50 years) and give existing VWL owners the option to purchase 25-year contract extensions at a set price. Those who accepted the offer would be extend to 2067. Those who did not would still end in 2042 with the contract then reverting back to Disney.

With this approach, all VWL owners--both legacy and owners of the new hotel rooms--would have 11 month booking rights at the entire facility.

Again that is 100% speculation on my part. No inside info as to whether that's the route they will actually take.

Making it a separate condo association introduces a lot of (unnecessary/unwanted) complexities regarding which rooms can be booked, which villa types are available, views, setting budgets, etc. All of that can be avoided with the ground lease extension.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great inside information. I know when the rumors were posted a few weeks ago regarding the conversion of deluxe rooms to DVC, there was some question to the validity of the information. I had not seen confirmatory reports so your post came as quite a surprise.

I'm fine with converting deluxe rooms but am interested in how they are going to deal with expiration dates at resorts that already have DVC. I also wonder how a new model of no-1 bedrooms would work. We always book studios to save points but would book 1 bedrooms if we could. The full kitchen doesn't mean much to us, although I imagine it does to many. I would LOVE a washer and dryer in the studios, though.