Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCI and Disney Vacation Club Renew Multi-Year Affiliation Agreement

Post Thanks / Like

Default RCI and Disney Vacation Club Renew Multi-Year Affiliation Agreement

Together the Two Industry Leaders Bring a Bit of Magic to Vacation Ownership and Exchange

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't used our points for other than DVC stays. However, we might want to exchange, but the current system seems cumbersome and you could actually deposit points into RCI and never find an acceptable resort for your vacation.

I hope this is true:

"Our renewed affiliation with RCI provides our Members with more choice, expanded access and improved flexibility," said Ken Potrock, senior vice president and general manager, Disney Vacation Club. "We want our Members to enjoy vacations when they want, how they want and where they want. The exchange options available through RCI are an important part of this commitment, giving families even more opportunities to have fun together, see the world and make lifelong magical memories."

--Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Through this renewed affiliation, Disney Vacation Club offers its member families access to thousands of RCI affiliated vacation ownership properties across the globe while RCI's approximately 3.7 million subscribing members gain access to the 12 Disney Vacation Club resorts.

I wonder if this is a misstatement or if the new DVC/RCI agreement is giving DVC members access to the entire RCI inventory. This would be a significant change because under the old agreement DVC members had access to only about 500 RCI properties world wide.

Post Thanks / Like

DVC posted the following on the new 'Membership Magic' page of the member website (entry dated Jan 29, 2014). Select 'Exchange Collections' on the 'All Topics' drop down menu.:
    Enjoy more vacation options than ever“More.”
    This seemed to be a popular theme during discussions around ways to enhance the exchange options available to Members.

As a result, Members will soon have “more” vacation options around the world and “more” rooms available in the most popular places.

Members will soon have access to thousands of RCI options that allow Members to dream bigger than ever before and, of course, to make those vacation dreams come true. Details around the enhanced Member Getaways program will be announced this Spring with re-imagined collections featuring increased inventory at Members’ favorite exchange destinations (many of which will require fewer vacation points). In addition, you will be able to enjoy a refreshed Disney Collection with new resort options.

What are some of the exciting locations around the globe you're planning to visit?

[Memberships not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. on or after March 21, 2011 will not have access to the full portfolio of vacation destinations.]
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I used to belong to RCI through a different timeshare. We could never get the better hotels or condos through RCI. You could get some if you weren't looking for the top resorts or locations but not in good locations. We finally gave the timeshare back to the owning company because the week wasn't good for us and RCI never seemed to work for us and we didn't pay much for it. Didn't make sense to belong if you couldn't get the resort you wanted to stay at. Not sure what other choices Disney has but I can't see us trying to use RCI after our previous experience with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
    I used to belong to RCI through a different timeshare. We could never get the better hotels or condos through RCI. You could get some if you weren't looking for the top resorts or locations but not in good locations. We finally gave the timeshare back to the owning company because the week wasn't good for us and RCI never seemed to work for us and we didn't pay much for it. Didn't make sense to belong if you couldn't get the resort you wanted to stay at. Not sure what other choices Disney has but I can't see us trying to use RCI after our previous experience with it.
    Due to its nature as a trade facilitator, RCI has to assign a trading power to individual resorts. Basically it's done to limit those who own undesirable locations from trading into high-demand destinations.

DVC seems to trade quite well within RCI.

DVC was previously aligned with Interval International. While Interval has more impressive affiliations (Marriott, Starwood, Sheraton), by most accounts DVC did not trade very well within their system. II has a ton of Orlando-areas resorts and the DVCs were not strongly sought-after.

Timeshare trading is one of those areas where folks can really benefit if they learn the ins and outs of the system. There are people who buy timeshares for $1 from eBay and then spend years trading into DVC and many other popular locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
    DVC posted the following on the new 'Membership Magic' page of the member website (entry dated Jan 29, 2014). Select 'Exchange Collections' on the 'All Topics' drop down menu.:
    Thanks, Michael, for posting the information. It definitely sounds like DVC members who bought direct or who bought resale prior to 3/21/2011, now have access to the entire RCI inventory. And it also sounds like members with resale points that were purchased after 3/21/2011 are still limited to a portfolio of about 500 or so RCI properties.

I consider myself to be very familiar with all the DVC rules and requirements EXCEPT when it comes to RCI exchanges. Since we haven't had an interest in doing an RCI exchange, I haven't tried to learn how the exchanges work. Maybe I'm missing something, but for right now I'm content using our points for stays at DVC resorts.

Post Thanks / Like

This should be interesting when the 3.7 million RCI owners want to stay at a DVC. We better all book asap, sounds like last minute trips will be a thing of the past. I was under the impression that the 500 destinations that RCI offered us (I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time lol) were the nicer destinations to keep the value of DVC where it should be. I am so excited (not!) that people can pay $1 and stay where I have paid tens of thousands. Is this an early April Fool's joke?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlfschulz View Post
    This should be interesting when the 3.7 million RCI owners want to stay at a DVC. We better all book asap, sounds like last minute trips will be a thing of the past.
    Owners of other RCI resorts only gain access to DVC villas when DVC owners first opt to trade OUT to another RCI destination. They do not have unchecked access to all vacancies.

DVC has been affiliated with a trading company for 20 years now...first Interval International and then RCI for the last 3-4 years. There really should not be any visible changes to the program.

DVC has historically limited the destinations which its owners can trade INTO but I don't believe there are similar restrictions imposed by RCI. ANYONE can trade into DVC...provided there is availability (again prompted by DVC owners first trading out) and provided the other RCI owner's timeshare has sufficient value (trading power) to be exchanged for DVC.

In the timeshare world, DVC really isn't the "holy grail" destination some of us might think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Owners of other RCI resorts only gain access to DVC villas when DVC owners first opt to trade OUT to another RCI destination. They do not have unchecked access to all vacancies.

DVC has been affiliated with a trading company for 20 years now...first Interval International and then RCI for the last 3-4 years. There really should not be any visible changes to the program.

DVC has historically limited the destinations which its owners can trade INTO but I don't believe there are similar restrictions imposed by RCI. ANYONE can trade into DVC...provided there is availability (again prompted by DVC owners first trading out) and provided the other RCI owner's timeshare has sufficient value (trading power) to be exchanged for DVC.

In the timeshare world, DVC really isn't the "holy grail" destination some of us might think.
    This statement is not entirely true. We owned a timeshare directly west (just across the street, actually) of Animal Kingdom since the 1980s - long considered a 'red week' and having very high trading value (we owned a 2BR). We weren't allowed to trade into DVC because we owned a timeshare within 25 miles of a DVC resort. We tried for years; RCI indicated this was a stipulation imposed by Disney, even our argument that DVC didn't exist when our contract was purchased did not allow the exchange. We'd always stay logged out of RCI and see the availability, but once we logged in and used our resort exchange capabilities, all the DVCs disappeared. So to say that "ANYONE can trade into DVC" is not completely correct. We eventually sold that timeshare in 2012 and took the money and put it down on our DVC because of the limitation.