Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVCNews Debates: FastPass+

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVCNews Debates: FastPass+

On Thursday, January 23, 2014, Walt Disney World will permanently shutter the last of its paper ticket FASTPASS machines. Going forward, all 4 parks will only support the FastPass+ product which features precise online scheduling of attraction return times while (presently) allowing only 3 FastPass entitlements per guest, per day.

While the daily cap--and tiering of attractions at 2 theme parks--is restrictive, the new system does eliminate all guesswork involved in predicting attraction return times and the effort involved in both collecting and later redeeming the paper tickets.

Topic: How do you feel about the new FastPass+ system? (Excited? Angry? Ambivalent? Confused? Optimistic? Disappointed?)

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Relieved and optimistic. Using the FP+ system was the most relaxing Disney vacation we've had. It isn't necessary to have a Legacy FP runner anymore. We don't have to schedule our day around when to get the next FP.

Most of all, I love it that you can get FP+ at short notice, even minutes before. Sure the primo attractions at a park might be gone but wasn't that the case with the legacy FP system? And who knows maybe someone will cancel their FP+s and then we'll pick up TSMM on the spur of the moment. Yes it does happen and it made our day.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    Most of all, I love it that you can get FP+ at short notice, even minutes before. Sure the primo attractions at a park might be gone but wasn't that the case with the legacy FP system? And who knows maybe someone will cancel their FP+s and then we'll pick up TSMM on the spur of the moment. Yes it does happen and it made our day.
    No such luck during our visit. System was slow to unresponsive most of the time. Even when visiting a kiosk and asking for help from a Cast Member. At no time during our entire 7 day stay was I able to reschedule any of my fastpass same day or even day before.

One thing this does kill for me is the Safari re-ride. During our normal stay when we arrived early, we could grab a FP on the way into the safari, then by the time my ride was over the FP time had arrived and I could get another FP that was valid almost as soon as I completed my second ride. I was fabulous riding pretty much 3x back to back and watching the safari come to life.

Even if I coudl get away with booking 2 FP back to back , with a limit of 3 for the day I am not sure how we will handle it.

I guess for me the hardest part is the planning. As it is I am not a fan of trying to book ADRs 6 month out let alone what FPs I want.

So short answer, cool idea just not sure it works for my style of vacationing at WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I am mostly happy with the system. It certainly is a pleasure not to have to be at a park at rope drop to guarantee you'll have a fast pass (and one with a reasonable return time) for the really hot attractions like TSM.

On the other hand, I'm only able to ride attractions such as TSM once a day now, unless I want to wait on the standby line (I don't). Used to be I could be at DHS at rope drop, grab a fast pass for TSM, ride once on the standby line and then ride again with the FP. On days that were not crowded I would then be able to get another FP (after using the first one) to ride TSM a third time.

Admittedly that was a lot of work though, and does not apply to many attractions other than TSM. So if I add up the pluses and minuses I would have to go with preferring FP+. Denise/Denlo outlined most of the reasons in her post above, and I have to agree with her. It's uber cool to pick a park in advance and have all the FPs locked in place without rushing around from attraction to attraction, often criss-crossing the park. I also totally agree that it's really great to often be able to get a FP to a "hot" attraction at virtually the last minute. The new way is more relaxing imho.

I do hope they change the tiered system and I also hope they eventually allow booking more than 3 FPs per day or at least allow us to book FPs in more than one park per day.
    Mar' (Mar' does NOT rhyme with Car, it's short for Marilyn)
    First trip 1973, BWV Owner 8/04, Homeowner in Davenport, FL 7/13

I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, Not Me!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thrilled.
    I never enjoyed having to pick up paper fastpasses, and then work my schedule around return times. In fact I hated it.

Now I'll just schedule my 3 attractions before my trip and show up during that time window.
    I'll probably never make same day changes, unless an attraction goes down for some reason.

I'd love to see this same change at DLR, but I'm not holding my breath.
    *JEFF*

UPCOMING DISNEY VACATIONS

DLR - 90 miles away, every few months
    AULANI - June 2017 (8 nts w/ Big Island)
    WDW - Sept 2017 (10 nts - Wilderness Lodge (Boulder) & Saratoga Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

gotta admit, i'm going to be the 'outlier' here! i'm both angry and disappointed in the way that fastpass is evolving. honestly, it's just the latest in a long line of changes that WDW has made over the past few years that, in my opinion, have detracted from my vacation experience. my family and i used to be able to get multiple fastpasses for the same attraction on the same day. no longer. we used to be able to get fastpasses for any/every D-or-E-ticket attraction in a park on the same day (i.e. Toy Story Midway Mania AND Rock n Roller Coaster, or Test Track AND Soarin'). no longer. we used to be able to visit one park in the morning and utilize fastpass, then park hop to a 2nd park in the evening to coincide with a dining reservation, and utilize fastpass there. no longer. we used to be able to get more than 3 - sometimes upward of 6 or 7 fastpasses - in a day, rarely waiting more than 15 mins or so for any attraction during the course of the day. no longer. sure, there was some work involved w/retrieving paper fastpasses, but the time it saved my family from standing in the queue FAR outweighed that inconvenience. all in all, i'm not enjoying this new direction....

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it at all. I don't want to plan where and when I'll be each minute of the day. For many DVC members, especially, WDW is a place to relax and take things at a leisurely pace. Granted, I'm not a big planner at WDW anyhow, but I feel WDW is trying to micromanage my experience and I don't like it a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

For my family it is defiantly a minus. We used at least 7 or 8 fast passes a day and were able to ride everything. Now we will have to pick and choose more. If they increase the number for us I will be fine but the current restrictions will be worse for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigcu View Post
    I don't like it at all. I don't want to plan where and when I'll be each minute of the day. For many DVC members, especially, WDW is a place to relax and take things at a leisurely pace. Granted, I'm not a big planner at WDW anyhow, but I feel WDW is trying to micromanage my experience and I don't like it a bit.
    I totally agree. There was only one thing I liked about the FP+ system-I could make a time for TSMM before I left home, so that that mornng I could sleep late (rather than having to make rope drop), knowing I already had a time for TSMM. However, I hate having to plan every day of my trip before I leave home-that's one big reason I discontinued the dining plan. I also dislike that once you've used FP+ in one park for the day, you can't decide "Hey, let's go to [another park] and use FP there. Overall, I see it as the death of spontaneity. And since we used to be ones who'd just go to the bus stop and take the first bus that came along, we're not at all fans of this. As I've said before, for us, this is just another excuse to make our main vacation location Hilton Head Island, not WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simbasmom View Post
    As I've said before, for us, this is just another excuse to make our main vacation location Hilton Head Island, not WDW.
    Disney's ok with that -- they still get their our money