Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orlando timeshare buildings swallowed by sinkhole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orlando timeshare buildings swallowed by sinkhole

One building has collapsed and two others evacuated at an Orlando-area timeshare after a 100' wide sinkhole opened late Sunday night.

View complete article
    This website is an unofficial publication regarding the Disney Vacation Club and is not affiliated in any way with Walt Disney World, The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company. All information presented on this site is subject to change. Information presented on this site may not be reproduced without permission.

Post Thanks / Like

Very scary. I'm glad all of the guests got out safely. That resort is about a 6 mile drive from Animal Kingdom Lodge. Probably less as a crow flies. That's getting too close for comfort. Since all of Florida is classified as karst landscape, a sinkhole can happen pretty much anywhere. I just hope that DVC has purchased the insurance to cover them. Otherwise it could be very expensive to rebuild those buildings for the members of any resort that has that happen to them.

And Florida isn't the only state prone to sinkholes, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Pennsylvania get them too. And the there is San Francisco that gets them as well, but probably for a different type of landscape. I imagine you learn to live with the danger like those of us that put up with earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes. Be alert even when on vacation.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Must have been terrifying for those involved.

Every time I hear of a sinkhole in Florida, I remember the story that Epcot supposedly has one. The story I heard is the walk between future world and world showcase is so long because they discovered a sinkhole. They tried to fill it, but couldn't. The story goes they even have a few trucks down there. After giving up, they designed around it.

I'm skeptical of the story though. Disney wouldn't want to risk guests walking even close to a sinkhole.

Post Thanks / Like

Bet their Maintenance Dues sky rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Virginia has karst topography as well, and there have been quite a few reported sinkholes in and around where I live. Scary indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of days ago there was a headline on the Denver Post that sinkhole at I-76 at York and traffic had to be rerouted. So Colorado has some karst as well.
    --Denise

Scheduled upcoming Disney trips:

11/30/17 - 12/14/17 - Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort
    03/01/18 - 03/08/18 - Copper Creek at the Wilderness Lodge