1. Collapse Details
    One time use points 
    My DVC Home(s)
    AKV
    Has anyone ever had to buy one time use points? if so what are the rules concerning them?
    I am having to move our original May 18th-25th 2013 vacation to June 15th-22nd (because school decided they wanted to start late and end late.....go figure!) Anyway that also moves me from dream season to magic season which means more points per night so now I am trying to decide if it would be better to purchase the one time use points or to just do a cash stay for the remaining night or nights that I don't have the points for.
    Past Disney trips: 1982 5 days off property, 2007 6 days in vacation home, 2010 14 days at the Polynesian(10 days in the parks!), January 2011 3 days buena vista plaza. September 2011 at AKV(10th anniversary), September 2012 at BWV(11th anniversary),July 2013 AKV 2-bedroom, November 2013 5 days at the Swan Future trips: June 2014 AKV, Halloween 2014 BLT

2. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV
    From the member website:
    As a Disney Vacation Club Member, occasionally you may find yourself in need of just few extra vacation points in order to book that perfect dream vacation. Previously, this required borrowing vacation points from a future use year, but very recently a new alternative was introduced. They're called "one-time-use" vacation points and are available for a fee of $15 ($13.33 plus $1.67 tax) per vacation point. Availability of one-time-use vacation points may be limited or suspended from time to time, and the fee is subject to change.
    Details:
    One-time-use vacation points are vacation points available for Disney Vacation Club Members to use as an alternative to borrowing vacation points from the following use year's allotment.
    You can obtain a maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points once per use year per membership.
    A maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points are processed in a single transaction, not multiple transactions.
    The fee for one-time-use vacation points is $15 (including tax) per vacation point, and is subject to change.
    One-time-use vacation points expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be banked or borrowed.
    One-time-use vacation points are not available for waitlist reservations.
    One-time-use vacation points cannot be applied retroactively to existing reservations.
    One-time-use vacation points are only available for Members whose contract is closed and in good standing.
    One-time-use vacation points are available only for Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Collection*, Adventurer Collection* and World Passport Collection reservations.

* Available when you purchase directly from Disney.
    One-time-use vacation points used for Disney Vacation Club resort reservations can only be used up to 7 months prior to arrival.
    One-time-use vacation points for Disney Collection, Adventurer Collection and World Passport reservations can be used according to the booking guidelines for each individual collection.

3. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT
    I've purchased the one time use points before and it's a very simple process. Just called MS, made the reservation, and they charged the extra points to my credit card. Buying the maximum amount of points (24) would only cost $360. I'm sure buying the extra 24pts would go further than paying cash for the extra nights.
    WDW - 1990/DL - 1995/DL - 1996/WDW - 1998/WDW - 2008 (POFQ)/WDW - 2010 (POFQ - Proposed 1/31/2010)/WDW and DCL- 2011 (CS/Pop and Eastern Carribean on the Magic - Honeymoon)/DL - 2011 (Paradise Pier)/Aulani - 2012/DL -2012/WDW -JAN2013(BLT)/WDW-SEP2013(OKW)

4. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT and AKV
    Quote Originally Posted by keepermom View Post
    Has anyone ever had to buy one time use points? if so what are the rules concerning them?
    I am having to move our original May 18th-25th 2013 vacation to June 15th-22nd (because school decided they wanted to start late and end late.....go figure!) Anyway that also moves me from dream season to magic season which means more points per night so now I am trying to decide if it would be better to purchase the one time use points or to just do a cash stay for the remaining night or nights that I don't have the points for.
    It looks like at this point in time you cannot use one-time-use points because you are still in your home resort advantage period. You can only use these points at the 7 month mark. Any chance you could just borrow points from 2014?
    --Denise

5. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV, & Aulani
    We just bought 3 one-time-use points for our upcoming trip to SSR in July & August. We had 165 points in Holding Status, but the 10-night stay at SSR is costing us 168 points. The CM at MS started the reservation and then transferred us to another CM who took our charge card info for the charge (3 points X $15 = $45), and then completed the reservation after we bought the extra points.

As JaxFLBear and denlo point out, the one-time use points are not available to book reservations during the Home Resort period. You have to wait until your 7-month window opens and then try to buy them. Also, you can't buy the one-time use points online; you have to talk to MS.

Personally, I think this is a very nice feature. When DVD first offered this benefit a while back, I didn't think we'd use the one-time use points for some time. But its worked out great in our case.

6. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    AKV
    Quote Originally Posted by denlo View Post
    It looks like at this point in time you cannot use one-time-use points because you are still in your home resort advantage period. You can only use these points at the 7 month mark. Any chance you could just borrow points from 2014?
    Denlo, so you are saying that since my vacation is in 2013 I will not be concidered borrowing from 2013? (
    even though I have an August use year) so I can borrow from 2014? Sorry if this sounds crazy I am soooo confused.
    Past Disney trips: 1982 5 days off property, 2007 6 days in vacation home, 2010 14 days at the Polynesian(10 days in the parks!), January 2011 3 days buena vista plaza. September 2011 at AKV(10th anniversary), September 2012 at BWV(11th anniversary),July 2013 AKV 2-bedroom, November 2013 5 days at the Swan Future trips: June 2014 AKV, Halloween 2014 BLT

7. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV, & Aulani
    Denlo, so you are saying that since my vacation is in 2013 I will not be concidered borrowing from 2013? (
    even though I have an August use year) so I can borrow from 2014? Sorry if this sounds crazy I am soooo confused.
    Your trip will be in June 2013, right?

Since you have an August Use Year, that trip will be in your 2012 Use Year, which runs from August 1, 2012, to July 31, 2013. If you need to borrow points for that trip, you will borrow them from your 2013 Use Year that will start on August 1, 2013. You could borrow those points right now if you want to

8. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT and AKV
    Sorry about the misinformation. I forgot to ask about your use year. Wdrl's answer is correct, you can borrow your 2013 points, if available.
    --Denise

9. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    AKV
    That's how I thought it worked, but just got confused for a minute. Thanks so much for your help : ). I would really like to stay in the dream season so the 2 bedroom would fall in my point range but my DS will be graduating highschool May 24th 2013 and I know there will be sooooo much going on I will have no time to think about packing for vacation. Oh joy decisions to be made!

10. Collapse Details
    problem solved 
    My DVC Home(s)
    AKV
    Ok I think I have this figured out ,sorry for all the confusion I suffer from multiple forms of OCD and I must have everything figured out perfect since my 11 month window is almost here. Ok we decided on leaving at midnight on May 27th which puts us checking in on the 28th for 7 nights in 2 bedroom at AKV and still keeps me in the magic season and under points allowed. Then at 7 month window I am going to try to swap some of those days over to BCV and purchase some 1 time use points to cover that if the dates are available. Man this DVC stuff is a lot of work sometimes.