Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    OKW,VWL,BCV
    Quote Originally Posted by scolling007 View Post
    Ken, I just recently purchased an iPad 2 as well about 3 weeks ago, and I have yet to figure everything out, and I am an IT Professional. Never having owned and Apple product before it is almost like reading German for me, so I feel your pain!
    Plenty of pain to go around.

My frustration is that Apple products lack Flash. I can't watch my USA Network shows.

2. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BWV, SSR, VGC
    Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

My frustration is that Apple products lack Flash. I can't watch my USA Network shows.
    Most sites have converted to HTML 5 videos over the years which can be viewed on the iPad.

Some networks have their own apps which stream full episodes. ABC and NBC both do. I looked up USA and apparently their app only has clips from episodes.

I know none of that helps but maybe will save some head-banging.

I've given up thinking of the iPad as a laptop replacement but the tasks you can perform with it are often an improvement over a traditional desktop or laptop. I spend about 80% of my leisure computing time with the iPad vs 20% with a laptop. Twitter, Facebook, sports apps (ESPN, MLB, NBA), eBook readers (iBooks, Amazon), magazine apps, newspaper apps, games and most web browsing is much easier on the iPad with the touch screen. Only times I really run into trouble is when I want to type a lot (I'm not a touchscreen typing guy) or the odd web pages that don't support the iPad well.

Give it a few days. You just might like it.

3. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Bay Lake Tower
    I bought an Ipad2 as a surprise for my DH last October. After I'd bought it (but he didn't know, it was hidden away) he said how he would really NOT like an iPad, but would rather a cheap computer - I was worried..........

However now, he cannot put it down - Loves it

He says he would never go back to a computer now, as he never did "proper computer things", only surfed the net etc. - the iPad does all he needs and more! And its more portable, lightweight and user friendly - he loves all the Apps he can choose from!

The ONLY problem is retrieving it off my DS(10) as he loves all the games
    Sharon

url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors

4. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    OKW,VWL,BCV
    Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Most sites have converted to HTML 5 videos over the years which can be viewed on the iPad.

Some networks have their own apps which stream full episodes. ABC and NBC both do. I looked up USA and apparently their app only has clips from episodes.

I know none of that helps but maybe will save some head-banging.

I've given up thinking of the iPad as a laptop replacement but the tasks you can perform with it are often an improvement over a traditional desktop or laptop. I spend about 80% of my leisure computing time with the iPad vs 20% with a laptop. Twitter, Facebook, sports apps (ESPN, MLB, NBA), eBook readers (iBooks, Amazon), magazine apps, newspaper apps, games and most web browsing is much easier on the iPad with the touch screen. Only times I really run into trouble is when I want to type a lot (I'm not a touchscreen typing guy) or the odd web pages that don't support the iPad well.

Give it a few days. You just might like it.
    Yeah, I know what channels I can watch video from, unfortunately NBC offers very little I like.

What is frustrating is that the USA app has no problem streaming clips, but not full content. I've looked at a couple re-direct sites, but the reviews are less than stellar.

So far I do like the ipad, just not used to NOT closing out a program when I'm done with it, like you, I like a real keyboard. Still need to learn all the finger drag tricks, how the file system works (I like Explorer) Apples version of Right Click & Properties...stuff like that.

Also need to pick up a couple adapters (SD card reader, HDMI out cable, etc) and a bluetooth keyboard/cover.

5. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    AKV
    Ken - you can click on your button twice w/the iPad to close programs/apps. This will make your battery last longer one good thing I actually learnt at the apple store.

6. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV, ADR
    Quote Originally Posted by Minne's Friend View Post
    Ken - you can click on your button twice w/the iPad to close programs/apps. This will make your battery last longer one good thing I actually learnt at the apple store.
    Actually on the iPad2 you only close them if you do a three fingered swipe up and it will show all the apps you have open. Then you place a finger on one without releasing and a minus will show up so you can close the apps. Definitely saves battery time and quickens the response time. I'll see if I can find more info for you.

And I agree with Tim. The iPad is still a baby computer. I told the Apple Store guy they need to upgrade their Apps for pages (word) and numbers (excel). They are even baby versions of the real software. But is it easy to surf the web with.

Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/as...ion/#section_3 I always use the 3 finger swipe on our iPad2 and the double click on the home button for our iTouch.
    Last edited by denlo; 05-05-2012 at 06:48 PM.
    --Denise

7. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    OKW,VWL,BCV
    Denise, I can't get the three fingeed up swipe do anything more than open the keyboard. Pushing the home button twice does open a "task manager" with all the open program icons. hold a finger on one and they all wiggle and a negative sign appears in the upper left corner of each icon. Touch the neg sign and program closes.

8. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    BLT, AKV, ADR
    I know what you mean, Ken. We bought our iPad2 exactly 30 days before Apple announced the iPad3 and I signed up for some one and one lessons for a year. Either of us (or both) can do the lesson. So I learned some of the gestures with them. If you go onto the Apple website under support, iPad. You can find many tips that might help. One thing I noticed if my hands are extra dry they seem to have problems making the gestures work.
    --Denise

9. Collapse Details

My DVC Home(s)
    Bay Lake Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by KNWVIKING 2.0 View Post

The main iPad browser dose not support flash, but you can download browser apps that do like puffin or sky fire.

I love my iPad. I rarely use my pc anymore.

10. Collapse Details

Hilton Head 2 weeks a year, otherwise irrelevent
    My DVC Home(s)
    Hilton Head
    Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    Pretty much in this same boat.

Work passed out iPads with a Remote Desktop Protocol app. I can actually run my desktop PC at work from my iPad at home, or on the road. It's certainly not the best interface, but when I need a document on my office desktop I can find it with the iPad and send it to myself, or even open it, edit it, and save it.

I've gotten much better typing on it, though the apple auto-spell-correct feature gives me a headache.

My fav apps are for social networking, my Yahoo Sportacular app, and the AP news app.

Other than that I'm thrilled work gave me one, but glad I didn't have to pay for it.